• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Bypass the Glock and go to HK. The P2000, USP, and HK45 are excellent guns. The USP and HK45 are incredible hosts for suppressors.
    They also cost twice as much as a Glock and do the same thing. Glocks run suppressors as well. I don't have an HK yet but it's on my list. The only thing I don't like about HKs is the mag release in the trigger guard. It's not natural feeling to me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    They also cost twice as much as a Glock and do the same thing. Glocks run suppressors as well. I don't have an HK yet but it's on my list. The only thing I don't like about HKs is the mag release in the trigger guard. It's not natural feeling to me.
    If you want to try a P2000 or HK45, let me know. I can also teach you how to mitigate what is perceived as a issue with the mag release.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If you want to try a P2000 or HK45, let me know. I can also teach you how to mitigate what is perceived as a issue with the mag release.
    My BIL has the HK45 which is his suppressor host. I wanted an HK but after shooting his I decided I wanted something else. I couldn't get past the mag release. All my pistols have traditional mag releases in the normal place. I'm sure I could learn to live with it and adapt but I don't see the point. However if I found a MK23 for a good price (under $1K) I would have to learn to deal with it.

DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    Any caliber you are comfortable with. I have two G21s, too big to carry so I went with a 43X. Love it! I also really like Springfield XDs, so you may want to look at them. I like the added features of the XD.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My BIL has the HK45 which is his suppressor host. I wanted an HK but after shooting his I decided I wanted something else. I couldn't get past the mag release. All my pistols have traditional mag releases in the normal place. I'm sure I could learn to live with it and adapt but I don't see the point. However if I found a MK23 for a good price (under $1K) I would have to learn to deal with it.
    The good news is, you will probably never find a MK23 for under $1K

They make VP9's with a button release. Try your index finger on the paddle release. it is much easier than using your thumb.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    So, I have never really liked Glock. Over the years I have shot them, and they just didn't feel very good in my hands. I recently rented a 19x and really enjoyed it. I think I like Glocks now.

I kind of want a basic G17. I have no reason for it, but it isn't that expensive, and I like the way they shoot right out of the box. I have a subcompact 9mm already, and a 4" .40 (don't judge me I bought it when .40 was still cool) so this gun serves no purpose. I believe the next long stint of OT I get I am going to head over to MD Elite and pick one up. Liking a Glock feels odd.

What is everyone's feelings on Gen 5 Glock?
    You'll get lots more opinions on the Glocktalk forum

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The good news is, you will probably never find a MK23 for under $1K

They make VP9's with a button release. Try your index finger on the paddle release. it is much easier than using your thumb.
    Old habits... maybe I'll give it another go.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , I like Glock , but not fanboy . I won't repeat the story of becoming an early adopter , back when their was only one model of Glock .

Yes , the various Imitation Glocks each have design tweaks . That doesn't change Glock's reliability , durability , and accuracy meeting or exceeding any reasonable expectation for type .

Yes , Glock came late to ( grip adaptability ) . That's a big deal for large agencies looking to outfit a buncha people all with the same gun . For individuals , not so much . If it fits You , you have no pressing need to change it to something else .

Yes , a G17 is a full size gun in the modern context . That is what it is . Whether or not you care for full size guns is its own side debate . * For Me * , the G17 actually fits my XXL hands better than G19 , but that's a minority happenstance .

The existence of viable imitation Glock alternatives , doesn't make the Glock less than its own merits .

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Ok , I like Glock , but not fanboy . I won't repeat the story of becoming an early adopter , back when their was only one model of Glock .

Yes , the various Imitation Glocks each have design tweaks . That doesn't change Glock's reliability , durability , and accuracy meeting or exceeding any reasonable expectation for type .

Yes , Glock came late to ( grip adaptability ) . That's a big deal for large agencies looking to outfit a buncha people all with the same gun . For individuals , not so much . If it fits You , you have no pressing need to change it to something else .

Yes , a G17 is a full size gun in the modern context . That is what it is . Whether or not you care for full size guns is its own side debate . * For Me * , the G17 actually fits my XXL hands better than G19 , but that's a minority happenstance .

The existence of viable imitation Glock alternatives , doesn't make the Glock less than its own merits .
    Well put.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Bypass the Glock and go to HK. The P2000, USP, and HK45 are excellent guns. The USP and HK45 are incredible hosts for suppressors.
    In the past 15 years, I've had four different H&K USPs - USPc .40, USP-45, USPc-9, and now a USP-9 (full-size). So far, the full-size USP-9 is the only one that I've kept (see pics below), and I would call it the least favorite of my handguns. I've kept it longer than I keot any of my other USPs (about 5 years now; I sold the rest within a year of ownership), but I don't shoot it anymore. I mostly own my USP for collector value (it's a KE date code gun, so that means it was made in 1994, before H&K started making them with polygonal rifled barrels).

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get into USPs, even though when I was a teenager, I had it in my head that they were the perfect handgun (remember in the 1990s, H&K still had a rep for being "the choice of the elite" or whatever?) I just don't like how they feel, I don't like being unable to drop the mag with my thumb, and the mag capacity is too low (IMHO) for a polymer framed handgun with a polymer mag. Whereas I shoot my Glocks on a regular basis (except for my Gen 2 G17, which is another collector piece), and I haven't found anything that I like better yet.

Attachments

• MattFinals-USP9-1.JPG
      MattFinals-USP9-1.JPG
      205.8 KB · Views: 57
    • MattFinals-USP9-2.JPG
      MattFinals-USP9-2.JPG
      212.1 KB · Views: 52

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In the past 15 years, I've had four different H&K USPs - USPc .40, USP-45, USPc-9, and now a USP-9 (full-size). So far, the full-size USP-9 is the only one that I've kept (see pics below), and I would call it the least favorite of my handguns. I've kept it longer than I keot any of my other USPs (about 5 years now; I sold the rest within a year of ownership), but I don't shoot it anymore. I mostly own my USP for collector value (it's a KE date code gun, so that means it was made in 1994, before H&K started making them with polygonal rifled barrels).

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get into USPs, even though when I was a teenager, I had it in my head that they were the perfect handgun (remember in the 1990s, H&K still had a rep for being "the choice of the elite" or whatever?) I just don't like how they feel, I don't like being unable to drop the mag with my thumb, and the mag capacity is too low (IMHO) for a polymer framed handgun with a polymer mag. Whereas I shoot my Glocks on a regular basis (except for my Gen 2 G17, which is another collector piece), and I haven't found anything that I like better yet.
    The P2000 and HK45 are a lot better than the USP, given your complaints. Give the P2000 and HK45 a chance.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I hated my USP45s safety and trigger, always in the way of my thumb. Did a LEM conversion, trigger work and short reset peice, and use it for 3 gun heavy(10rd limit in that division) The light recoil, and GLOCK-ish trigger function make it great, FAR better than the V1/2 out of the box. Never had an issue with the mag release, I use my trigger finger. The newer models are pretty comfortable, the VP9 is great, the other new models still have the V1/2 safety, but most have LEM versions.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I hated my USP45s safety and trigger, always in the way of my thumb. Did a LEM conversion, trigger work and short reset peice, and use it for 3 gun heavy(10rd limit in that division) The light recoil, and GLOCK-ish trigger function make it great, FAR better than the V1/2 out of the box. Never had an issue with the mag release, I use my trigger finger. The newer models are pretty comfortable, the VP9 is great, the other new models still have the V1/2 safety, but most have LEM versions.
    The short reset kit is great. I put it in all of my USPs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The short reset kit is great. I put it in all of my USPs.
    Have you tried the LEM kit in any of them? Ends up a 2# takeup, and 4.5# break, really short travel and reset, like a GLOCK trigger, but really really good. Allows me to get a higher grip and put my thumb where the safety lever used to be. The higher grip and better trigger make it a whole new gun. Of course $90 GG short reset $175 LEM kit on a pistol currently going for around $1000 is double the cost of a GLOCK21, and IMO not twice as good.

Last edited:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I don't own one because there are a lot of better options out there. CZ75 has an excellent trigger and is just a better pistol. If you have to go polymer try out the S&W M&P guns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Have you tried the LEM kit in any of them? Ends up a 2# takeup, and 4.5# break, really short travel and reset, like a GLOCK trigger, but really really good. Allows me to get a higher grip and put my thumb where the safety lever used to be. The higher grip and better trigger make it a whole new gun. Of course $90 GG short reset $175 LEM kit on a pistol currently going for around $1000 is double the cost of a GLOCK21, and IMO not twice as good.
    I did LEM, LEM-match hybrid. I settled on match triggers with the short reset mod. I personally like that the best. Maybe I should revisit the LEM with the short reset kit. I have the parts. I’m a little autistic where triggers are concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom