• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    In my opinion, Glock has had it's day. I have 2 G17's and a G23.
    When I shoot the 23 or 19 or 43x I really like the 17 less.
    Too big, wide, blockish, grip angle is not natural for me.
    Other manufacturers have borrowed the best and improved on the rest.
    M&P, HK, Walther, Sig, etc all have comparable models that feel better in hand and most have better stock sights.
    Outside of reliability and cheap available parts and accessories they're not that special anymore.
    Just me.
    If you ever wanna offload one of those G17s I have been looking for a Gen 3 or Gen 4. I'm not a fan of the Gen 5 design.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I never liked them myself, early models felt flimsy under recoil and slippery in the grip, gen 3 felt better. Coming from other brands the grip angle felt goofy and was hard to point naturally, then came the SF models and gen 4/5 that had a straighter backstrap, and point better. The serrated import trigger is uncomfortable, but easy to swap a smooth faced part. I have a few, all SF or Gen4 models, all have smooth faced triggers, radiused safety buttons and a little smoothing and polishing of the trigger bar to give a better pull. Thing is that was all before the Sig 320/365 series came out, they are a better pistol IMO, so probably not in the market for another GLOCK till they come out with something better.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    To answer OP's prompt, I shoot Glocks really well.

My first handgun was a polymer-framed Sig SP2022 in 9mm. I shoot my buddy's G17 better than my Sig. Handling in a gun store is fine, but it pays to get some range time with whatever you're going to purchase if at all possible.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Try this one out. They also took out the magazine disconnect. Definitely the best HP trigger I've ever fealt
    I took it out too. That is a nice looking pistol. I polished all the internals on the trigger bar and things, mine's pretty smooth. It's an FN marked pistol with the SFS safety installed which works really well.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Talk you out of a Glock? OK, get a S&W M&P instead. 10x better than a Glock. Natural grip angle, looks better too.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I never liked the feel of Glocks until recently when the newer slim line single stacks came out and also Gen5 with the various backstraps. Now they feel more comfortable to me. On top of that, I've never had any issues with them. I compare them to owning Toyotas....they are reliable, dependable, easy to maintain, and the newer styles are interesting. You can modify it to make it look better though. But there are other options out there too.

To talk you out of a Glock 17 Gen 5, it is not aggressive looking like other brands and models. It is more of a gun for use, but not to admire the looks (not that it is ugly, but just a bit more boring looking). It also would not be the first gun I take out if I was showing a collection of guns.

Good luck on your decision.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Glock is cool and all but I have resisted the temptation to own one so far. You know my trick? I keep this picture in my mind when I see them in the store.

ford-assembly-lines-vintage-photos-01.webp
    What is this?
    In my opinion, Glock has had it's day. I have 2 G17's and a G23.
    When I shoot the 23 or 19 or 43x I really like the 17 less.
    Too big, wide, blockish, grip angle is not natural for me.
    Other manufacturers have borrowed the best and improved on the rest.
    M&P, HK, Walther, Sig, etc all have comparable models that feel better in hand and most have better stock sights.
    Outside of reliability and cheap available parts and accessories they're not that special anymore.
    Just me.
    The gen 5 does feel good in my hands, and this is how I judge pistols I think I want in my mind.
    Just get a Glock they are "perfection". I own several. I don't have any gen 5s though but they are supposed to be better. Better tigger, no finger grooves (which I hate), and a more traditional rifling for the barrel. I'd say do it. Just don't handle any Staccatos, they are spendy. G41 Gen4 is my favorite Glock or the G19 (bedside gun).

I'm not a Glock fan boy but they have their place. I try to get one of everything but it gets expensive. The only pistol I would consider selling even though I won't, is my CZ75 SP-01. It's heavy. My BHP fits my hand the best and is my favorite pistol but it doesn't have a rail so it's not tacticool enough.
    A Staccato costs almost double then what I paid for my car. I don't think I ever want to buy a firearm that costs more then $1,000.
    I have a gen3 G17 'just because'. Don't like it, don't really shoot it, but everyone has to own one right? :) Prefer CZ and SIGs to shoot.
    I don't like Sigs. Never shot a CZ but I think I would like a 97b, or something. 97b's are going to be pricey.
    This.

I think there was a time when Glock had something no one else did, but that time has long since passed. There isn't a magic fairy dust sprinkled on Glocks that makes them inherently any better than any other striker fired polymer framed pistol, so why not get something with better ergonomics?
    I become enamored with guns I like. I liked the 19x A LOT.
    I own a G19 and a G26. I can’t tell you the last time I shot either of them. I’ve switched over to the M&Ps and havent looked back.
    View attachment 392284
    I will have to rent and shoot an M&P.
    Not mine, but...
    Thanks. and close too. Christmas means I don't have $500 handy to waste.
    Have had multiple Glocks and I just don't like the thicker plastic covered mags. They don't eject as well on fast reloads and they are fatter to carry. Also OP liking 19X does not necessarily transfer to liking 17. They balance different. For me the 19x and 45 work better than the 17.
    Thanks for the advice. I will have to rent a shoot a 17.
    No I won’t. Get one. And .40 is still cool, but it’s ghey.
    .40 sucks. I bought mine when it was still cool, and I modded it and I still like it so I still shoot it.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    I never liked the feel of Glocks until recently when the newer slim line single stacks came out and also Gen5 with the various backstraps. Now they feel more comfortable to me. On top of that, I've never had any issues with them. I compare them to owning Toyotas....they are reliable, dependable, easy to maintain, and the newer styles are interesting. You can modify it to make it look better though. But there are other options out there too.

To talk you out of a Glock 17 Gen 5, it is not aggressive looking like other brands and models. It is more of a gun for use, but not to admire the looks (not that it is ugly, but just a bit more boring looking). It also would not be the first gun I take out if I was showing a collection of guns.

Good luck on your decision.
    I don't think most guns look good, they come off like tools to me. They all kind of look good in there own way to me.

Toyota has this reputation that they are more reliable than the average vehicle, and they really aren't. They do okay, but anything has problems in the vehicle world.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I find them to be really ugly, and at this point, so many others have copied the design, improved upon it, and offer pistols that are just as reliable, cheaper and more attractive. Guns like the sar9, str-9, PSA daggers, etc come to mind. Features like the "safety trigger", polymer framed, etc are run of the mill now. Why pay the inventor's premium?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What is this?

The gen 5 does feel good in my hands, and this is how I judge pistols I think I want in my mind.

A Staccato costs almost double then what I paid for my car. I don't think I ever want to buy a firearm that costs more then $1,000.

I don't like Sigs. Never shot a CZ but I think I would like a 97b, or something. 97b's are going to be pricey.

I become enamored with guns I like. I liked the 19x A LOT.

I will have to rent and shoot an M&P.

Thanks. and close too. Christmas means I don't have $500 handy to waste.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to rent a shoot a 17.

.40 sucks. I bought mine when it was still cool, and I modded it and I still like it so I still shoot it.
    I have three, I'd be happy to meet you at AGC and you're welcome to shoot them.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I don't own a Glock, but I've wanted a 43X (non MOS) for a while. Couldn't tell you why really. Maybe because I wouldn't have to worry about beating it up while carrying probably. Every time I go to buy one, as I test raise it up to get on target, that damn front sight is up towards the sky. Then I put it down, kick rocks, and walk out.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I don't own a Glock, but I've wanted a 43X (non MOS) for a while. Couldn't tell you why really. Maybe because I wouldn't have to worry about beating it up while carrying probably. Every time I go to buy one, as I test raise it up to get on target, that damn front sight is up towards the sky. Then I put it down, kick rocks, and walk out.

Shield plus would fit that bill.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I’ve got a 17, 19, 26, and 43x. They all serve a purpose. They are ugly, blocky, feel cheap in the hand but are dead nut’s reliable. I’ve got a Dan Wesson higher end 1911. The machining is beautiful and it feels amazing in my hand. Great trigger pull and accurate. But it’s not reliable. I’ll take ugly and reliable all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom