• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I currently own four: Gen 2 G17, Gen 3 G21, Gen 3 G26, and Gen 3 G34 (as you can tell: I have a soft spot for the Gen 3s).

I can't imagine talking you out of buying one, though I will say that you should try them out and be sure that they feel good in your hands and that you're comfortable shooting them. Like everything else, they're not for everyone - but I think that they are the right choice for many people.

One suggestion: Don't buy a G19 just because of its rep as most people's favorite Glock. I've owned both a G19 and a G23, and I didn't like either of them - I've discovered that I don't like the feel of compact Glocks' grips (especially any that has the grip cutout, which is all of the Gen 2s, most of the Gen 3s, and early Gen 5s). Although I own a G26, I've discovered that I prefer Glocks with full-size grips. If I ever buy another Glock, it will be either a G19X or a G45, because I do think that their Commander-style crossover concept is the ideal Glock for me (grip length that I prefer with the compact frame length).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’ve owned several Glocks. I don’t own any Glocks now. I don’t like them, and I don’t shoot them well.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I like Glocks. I’d be more inclined to talk you into one. There are a lot of great alternatives. Buy what you like to shoot/carry.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Pre 2013 FSA purchase I meant to share here. G20gen4. Multiple back straps on the gen4s.
    2D1DCBD3-2250-457F-AAAD-B88D7064B5A4.jpeg

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    The Glock 17 Gen5 --- The Energizer Bunny of the firearm world, annoyingly reliable-- smooth shooting, dead on balls accurate out of the box. Haters gonna hate, go ahead and grab a piece of reliability.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    If you like it, or just want it just because, and you can afford it, go ahead and buy it. Everyone should have a Glock or two in their arsenal, for no other reason than they are ubiquitous. Parts are never likely to be a problem. They are accurate and reliable. They are dead simple to operate. If I have to arm up a non-gunner, this is probably the gun I'd choose.

BUT...you did ask for reasons not to buy, and there are two big ones.

1) They are butt ugly. Utilitarian. Pure function over form.
    2) They are boring.

For me they also don't feel particularly natural, although that doesn't really affect their ability. I like steel framed hammer fired guns better; but they, like me, appear to be turning into an anachronism, especially in this day of micro pieces. Composite striker fired heaters are taking over the world.

USAF

Nov 18, 2022
    Lanham MD
    Just get a Glock they are "perfection". I own several. I don't have any gen 5s though but they are supposed to be better. Better tigger, no finger grooves (which I hate), and a more traditional rifling for the barrel. I'd say do it. Just don't handle any Staccatos, they are spendy. G41 Gen4 is my favorite Glock or the G19 (bedside gun).

I'm not a Glock fan boy but they have their place. I try to get one of everything but it gets expensive. The only pistol I would consider selling even though I won't, is my CZ75 SP-01. It's heavy. My BHP fits my hand the best and is my favorite pistol but it doesn't have a rail so it's not tactical enough.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    For the longest time, I was decidedly not a Glock fan. OK, on paper, they often looked good (despite feeling blocky, they are more compact than most comparable double stack firearms), and everyone knows their reputation for reliability. So every time I'd shop a gun I would look at the Glock equivalent of what I was shopping, and I'd always go home with something other than a Glock.

Well, a few months ago, I decided that after 20 something years of owning guns, currently (at the time, I've been on a buying spree lately) owning just over 20 handguns and having had 30-40 go through my hands over the years, it was time to own a Glock in the name of having a more complete collection. I also figured, with MD finally going essentially shall-issue thanks to Bruen, the easy availability of accessories was a huge plus.

I bought a Gen 5 G22MOS. I absolutely fell in love with that gun and quickly put somewhere in the range of 500-1000 rounds through it in just a few weeks. Within a couple weeks I also bought a Gen 5 G19 (now one of my carry guns) that I've put around 2000 rounds through already, and I keep fighting the urge to buy a G43X even though I have a SIG P365 that I absolutely love. I don't know if I would have loved the earlier generations as much, but the Gen 5 guns really are nice (great trigger for a striker fired pistol, no finger groves, the grip texture is comfortable and not overly aggressive but does the job, and once you are used to it even the grip angle is not bad at all).

So, if you think you may be warming to them, your wallet is the best reason not to do it. Like CZs for us CZ fans, if you become a Glock fan they will go from one to many quite quickly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom