• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Your Glock can get knocked in the dirt and still function.

This Glock 21 was buried for 2 years, dug up and shot 500 rounds without a FE or MF
    66F7D883-34C8-43DF-A617-AD06B2686CF9.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    No reason not to buy one. I had a gen3 17 that I carried at home a lot. It always worked. Dirt, mud, grease, sawdust nothing could stop it and it was to ugly to worry about hurting. That was my first and only pistol for about 10 years. I traded it to a Mds member for a non working smith & Wesson 66-1. Best trade I ever made, if I do miss the Glock I can go buy another one and abuse it just the same.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not enough safeties, Tupperware frame, real guns are metal and wood. G17 shoots the euro pellet not manly like .45.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not enough safeties, Tupperware frame, real guns are metal and wood. G17 shoots the euro pellet not manly like .45.
    I can solve that for you. That make them in 45

Attachments

• 75luwo.jpg
      75luwo.jpg
      35 KB · Views: 58
    • Safety.jpg
      Safety.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 61

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No reason not to buy one. I had a gen3 17 that I carried at home a lot. It always worked. Dirt, mud, grease, sawdust nothing could stop it and it was to ugly to worry about hurting. That was my first and only pistol for about 10 years. I traded it to a Mds member for a non working smith & Wesson 66-1. Best trade I ever made, if I do miss the Glock I can go buy another one and abuse it just the same.
    I don't particularly care to ABUSE my guns. That said, I have certain rifles and handguns, because frankly I care a lot less about what happens to them and I know they are likely to take the abuse.

Not expensive, but I really love my Howas. I also have a deep infatuation with my Sako Forester. I'd even take my Garand hunting. I really like my P38 and Cz50. Etc. But if I was going to be carrying or hunting in what might be bad weather? A glock or an AR is not even a second thought. Easy to strip and clean later. And frankly, just might not need to be stripped and cleaned later. And will almost certainly function just fine even if I fall and drop it on a muddy hillside or it is getting crusted in 2 inch an hour snow and mid 20s blowing weather.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I guess Glocks are good guns. If someone gave me one, I'd probably keep it, unless I could trade it for something I liked.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    So you want a Honda Civic?

I don’t, but I still somehow have 5 of the danged things. I like the gen 3 better than the gen 5.

Same for me on both counts. My enthusiasm for buying Glocks was similar to the enthusiasm I'd have if I had to trade my BMW for a Honda Civic (and yes, I've already owned both). Buying a G23 in .40 as my first Glock was also a mistake, because I discovered that I hate that caliber. But once I got my first 9mm Glock (which was my G34), I suddenly found myself unable to stop buying them.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Same for me on both counts. My enthusiasm for buying Glocks was similar to the enthusiasm I'd have if I had to trade my BMW for a Honda Civic (and yes, I've already owned both). Buying a G23 in .40 as my first Glock was also a mistake, because I discovered that I hate that caliber. But once I got my first 9mm Glock (which was my G34), I suddenly found myself unable to stop buying them.
    Yup. I've got my Glock model LE, my Glock model CRX, my glock model Si, my glock full size hatch back, etc.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    All this talk about Glocks made me want to do a family portrait of my 9mm Glocks. So...here they are. Top to bottom:

- Glock 34 Gen 3 w/ Surefire X300U and LaserMax guide rod
    - Glock 17 Gen 2 (100% stock)
    - Glock 26 Gen 3 (currently 100% stock, though I sometimes attach a ClipDraw to the back of the slide)

The -34 is my main squeeze, and the one that I've shot the most.

Attachments

• MattFinals-Glock9mmFamily2023-1.jpg
      MattFinals-Glock9mmFamily2023-1.jpg
      232.6 KB · Views: 66
    • MattFinals-Glock9mmFamily2023-2.jpg
      MattFinals-Glock9mmFamily2023-2.jpg
      257.8 KB · Views: 58

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I'll talk you out of a Glock. Get this instead.

"Amazing Gucci Glock Clone!"

8c9375d3b9fbb9d2974c9c6ca979f90a_1645065254564_0_L1800.jpeg

55a39ab3f337b36ceaa8a89fbe3e8eb6_1645065724446_0_L1800.jpeg
    cc61323aeb86a57d708ff6a9becedb9c_1645065724446_2_L1800.jpeg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Not my gun, by the way.

sckno3

patience is a virtue
    May 7, 2013
    fwiw, that super gucci Palmetto Dagger with the Zaffiri Precision slide would likely be way more comfortable to shoot than any stock Glock. i'd leave out the Vism FlipDot tho...

i prefer Gen 3 / 4 glocks to Gen 5 due to aftermarket support and parts/accessory availability.

If you want one, and have the funds, you could certainly do worse than a Gen 5. but there's also many better options out there too.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I've got two Glocks. A 17 and 19. The 17 for magazine compatibility with my Sub2000 (if I'm gonna have a pistol caliber carbine, I figure I should have a compatible pistol!), and the 19 just 'cause I like to have the most common gat with the most spare parts just in case the world goes too crazy. My wife has taken the 19 as her bedside piece because it is simple and easy to understand. I wish I could get her to practice with it more, though.

I'm happy with the p365 for a carry piece, and like shooting the Sig SP2022 and Beretta 92FS for fun. I kinda want to get another Roscoe or two, but the bank account is strained and my boom boom budget is dedicated to restocking my rapidly depleting ammo cache.

JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    Never cared for Glocks in the past. But since Bruen I now have the ability to conceal carry. I only owned large all metal handguns not really fit for carry. So I went and tried all the sub compact 9’s at the gun stores. They ALL felt bad in my large hands. One place the gun store employee said to try this Glock 43x. I was not excited about it but the gun felt perfect in my hand, much to my surprise. Ended up buying a 43x MOS.

Just goes to show that gun fit is a personal preference.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never cared for Glocks in the past. But since Bruen I now have the ability to conceal carry. I only owned large all metal handguns not really fit for carry. So I went and tried all the sub compact 9’s at the gun stores. They ALL felt bad in my large hands. One place the gun store employee said to try this Glock 43x. I was not excited about it but the gun felt perfect in my hand, much to my surprise. Ended up buying a 43x MOS.

Just goes to show that gun fit is a personal preference.
    Definitely. For me, I'd have to turn a Sig P365 into a Glock G43X to be able to shoot it as well. I have long, lanky fingers. I aready owned a G48 and can shoot the chit out of it.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Glocks are accurate, dependable and plastic. They are weapons first and foremost, but I'm never, ever, moved to go to my safe, remove my Glock and handle it. If you simply need and want a good weapon, fine, but I think they're accidents waiting to happen.

The guns I'm drawn to are steel/aluminum and wood; things of beauty. I love autos that have hammers and safeties. In olden times, people engraved their armor, and when firearms were designed, even those that fired only one shot and then depended on a blade, they also were often engraved and some had only their names etched thereon.

My point is that people tended to be proud of their arms. I do often visit my safe and I love my Beretta 92, the first ones with the magazine release on the bottom right, my S&W 659, 5906, 3906, Browning Hi-Power, Ruger .22LRs, even an old Lightning .22. And though Glocks are completely reliable, they have all the charm of a new pair of Earth Shoes, for all those who are old enough to remember them.

If you need a firearm for your drawer, and you don't have kids, get a Glock. Me, I want a gun that is completely safe and which has a hammer. And which is beautiful. Glock just doesn't cut it for me.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My experience with my one and only Glock (G4 G17) is positive. Had a 20…never shot it and sold it before the 17 came along. Not infallible, but highly reliable and quite accurate for a duty oriented pistol. A little stone work on the disconnector and other trigger related parts produced a quite acceptable trigger. I understand why some like them…can’t argue with success. Sometimes I ask myself if I am missing something. Then I handle the 17…and confirm I just prefer something different.

I understand why some don’t care for them. I am with this group. The excitement of obtaining my G17 soon turned to a yawn and desire to participate in the GSSF sports vaporized. But it worked…. I even considered it against my 1911 in the ‘what if’ scenarios during the 2020 unrest.

The lack of active safety features of the Glock don’t bother me. The passive safeties work fine in a properly spec’d pistol. Same with good DA revolvers. What irks me most about this Austrian designed pistol is the trigger guard. Grip angle and all that can be accommodated and become accustomed to. That trigger guard is too small and ill configured for my hands. If the t-guard opening was larger I would have bought a G43X two weeks ago if shooting a rental specimen was positive. It ran, acceptable not great accuracy. It abrades my finger worse than the 17…so nah…just reframe the 365.

I respect the Glock and the folks that like ‘em. I support their choice. Just stop having a cow when I use the slide stop to drop the slide on my 1911’s, my Sig 365….and my G17.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom