• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    So, I have never really liked Glock. Over the years I have shot them, and they just didn't feel very good in my hands. I recently rented a 19x and really enjoyed it. I think I like Glocks now.

I kind of want a basic G17. I have no reason for it, but it isn't that expensive, and I like the way they shoot right out of the box. I have a subcompact 9mm already, and a 4" .40 (don't judge me I bought it when .40 was still cool) so this gun serves no purpose. I believe the next long stint of OT I get I am going to head over to MD Elite and pick one up. Liking a Glock feels odd.

What is everyone's feelings on Gen 5 Glock?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So, I have never really liked Glock. Over the years I have shot them, and they just didn't feel very good in my hands. I recently rented a 19x and really enjoyed it. I think I like Glocks now.

I kind of want a basic G17. I have no reason for it, but it isn't that expensive, and I like the way they shoot right out of the box. I have a subcompact 9mm already, and a 4" .40 (don't judge me I bought it when .40 was still cool) so this gun serves no purpose. I believe the next long stint of OT I get I am going to head over to MD Elite and pick one up. Liking a Glock feels odd.

What is everyone's feelings on Gen 5 Glock?
    Do like I do every time I think its time to own a glock I go into store try the glock and try something else and usually end up with something other than the glock.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Glock is cool and all but I have resisted the temptation to own one so far. You know my trick? I keep this picture in my mind when I see them in the store.

ford-assembly-lines-vintage-photos-01.webp

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    In my opinion, Glock has had it's day. I have 2 G17's and a G23.
    When I shoot the 23 or 19 or 43x I really like the 17 less.
    Too big, wide, blockish, grip angle is not natural for me.
    Other manufacturers have borrowed the best and improved on the rest.
    M&P, HK, Walther, Sig, etc all have comparable models that feel better in hand and most have better stock sights.
    Outside of reliability and cheap available parts and accessories they're not that special anymore.
    Just me.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Just get a Glock they are "perfection". I own several. I don't have any gen 5s though but they are supposed to be better. Better tigger, no finger grooves (which I hate), and a more traditional rifling for the barrel. I'd say do it. Just don't handle any Staccatos, they are spendy. G41 Gen4 is my favorite Glock or the G19 (bedside gun).

I'm not a Glock fan boy but they have their place. I try to get one of everything but it gets expensive. The only pistol I would consider selling even though I won't, is my CZ75 SP-01. It's heavy. My BHP fits my hand the best and is my favorite pistol but it doesn't have a rail so it's not tacticool enough.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I don't own a semi auto pistol that isn't a Glock. I'm biased. If it's just a range toy I'd see if you can find a good price on a lightly used Glock 34.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I didn't like glocks for a long time, and then I shot my g43xmos. It's the first glock I've pointed naturally with and shot better than other guns. It's been extremely boring in reliability, even with shield s15 mags. The trigger dongle stung, so I just sanded it down until it now sits flush with the main trigger when depressed. Anything that is made in the aftermarket world is made for it. I don't need to hunt around for a special manufacturer to find someone that makes a holster for it. I can replace all the parts with aftermarket parts if I want to because of the aftermarket support. I can hit milk jugs at 100 yards with it about 30% of the time, and torso sized targets almost every time.

It depends on the glock, but they are boring in reliability and supported more than any other manufacturer.

For a compact(g19 size), I like my p99as better than glocks in use, but it's very hard to find aftermarket products for it. So while other guns may be "Better" if you're just looking at the gun itself, they fall under the glock when considering the ecosystem around it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have a gen3 G17 'just because'. Don't like it, don't really shoot it, but everyone has to own one right? :) Prefer CZ and SIGs to shoot.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I'm not a Glock fan and I shoot my Sigs better, but I generally carry a Glock for the following reasons:

1) At the beach - even in the water - because even if it gets wet/sandy, I can rinse, dry, oil, and not worry about functional damage.

2) Generally, because if I'm ever involved in a defensive shooting, I'm not going to be specifically upset about the po-po holding my weapon as evidence and perhaps never getting it back. I would be heartbroken if I lost my P228 that way, but the Glock I can replace tomorrow.

-Rob

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Other manufacturers have borrowed the best and improved on the rest.
    This.

I think there was a time when Glock had something no one else did, but that time has long since passed. There isn't a magic fairy dust sprinkled on Glocks that makes them inherently any better than any other striker fired polymer framed pistol, so why not get something with better ergonomics?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    They just fit my hands and style just right. Grip angle a feel are perfect for me. That said, it you don't like them, get something else. My last purchase was a Shadow Systems CR920 and it too feels great, better than my P365x. One big difference is that when the mag is empty, I can feel that the slide is locked back. It is balanced so well. You will spend a bit more on it though.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I own a G19 and a G26. I can’t tell you the last time I shot either of them. I’ve switched over to the M&Ps and havent looked back.
    61ACD55E-2BB2-4BD9-B577-F28FE9599A04.jpeg

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I have a G17 Gen4 with TruGlo sights. It's not purdy but I always look forward to shooting it at the range and I find the accuracy to be pretty awesome for a $525 ugly piece of plastic.
    Just bought a G43X and can't wait to pick it up from 7 day jail.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Talk you out of a gun purchase? Are you new here?

My first pistol was a Glock. So are several others. Functional, reliable, easy to maintain, reasonably priced. What's not to like?

Odd grip angle? I've neve noticed it. It works fine for me.
    Blocky? Eh, not that much worse than other pistols.

If you need to scratch that itch, look for used Glocks. They're fairly easy to find and the used prices are very good, with the more than adequate supply.

But talk you out of a Glock? Never!

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I would suggest not to be a fanboy or a hateboy. Buy what feels best in your hand and you can shoot the best. If it's a glock so be it - if it's not, that is fine too.

Jake4now

Not Disapproved
    Jul 20, 2022
    Baltimore County MD
    Not mine, but...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Just get a Glock they are "perfection". I own several. I don't have any gen 5s though but they are supposed to be better. Better tigger, no finger grooves (which I hate), and a more traditional rifling for the barrel. I'd say do it. Just don't handle any Staccatos, they are spendy. G41 Gen4 is my favorite Glock or the G19 (bedside gun).

I'm not a Glock fan boy but they have their place. I try to get one of everything but it gets expensive. The only pistol I would consider selling even though I won't, is my CZ75 SP-01. It's heavy. My BHP fits my hand the best and is my favorite pistol but it doesn't have a rail so it's not tacticool enough.
    Try this one out. They also took out the magazine disconnect. Definitely the best HP trigger I've ever fealt

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Have had multiple Glocks and I just don't like the thicker plastic covered mags. They don't eject as well on fast reloads and they are fatter to carry. Also OP liking 19X does not necessarily transfer to liking 17. They balance different. For me the 19x and 45 work better than the 17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom