• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I doubt it's laziness. If it was the occasional news media source that declined to ask the question, I would say its laziness or ineptitude on the individual reporters part. The main stream media NEVER asks questions or posts statistics to show what is really happening.

We've got all kinds of gun laws in Montgomery County. We don't use them the way the laws were written. We intentionally give lenient sentences or drop charges on pleas rather than actually sentence people to the 5 year gun penalty. That allows the politicians to go back and say that we aren't doing enough and we need MORE gun laws. The intent of gun laws isn't to stop gun violence, the intent of gun laws is to stop gun ownership.

If they actually used the laws that existed, it would seriously curb gun violence and put the few violent offenders in jail for mandatory periods of time. Then everyone could see that the problem isn't 99.9% of gun owners, but the very small percentage of CRIMINALS. Then it would be almost impossible to pass gun control laws, which defeats the end goal.
    I meant that it seems real easy for Governors to issue some kind of order to take freedoms from people instead of using the laws 'already on the books' to make things safer or make new ones that are legislated properly. (believe me I don't want more laws from lefties that are legislated properly when it comes to my freedoms). The classic example I think of is the regulated firearms list in Maryland. Started off as a higher level of regulation but then with a small amount of writing became the meat of the bans that came later. These bans didn't make anyone safer but took my rights to certain things here in Maryland. This NM thing feels like that. Maybe its not apple to apples analogous.

It's been a little while. Has NM gotten safer in the last week or so? I haven't bothered to check for I think I would not be impressed with the results.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Has NM gotten safer in the last week or so? I haven't bothered to check for I think I would not be impressed with the results.
    Actual safety doesn't matter. Do they FEEL safer?

Kinda like acutally assigning blame to the right person based upon facts, versus blaming everyone cause it makes me feel better.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Notice that the guvnuh, on listing ALL the things the state has done to make Gun Violins go away, doesn't mention making the state and local prosecutors actually follow through and lock up the criminals that are the ones doing all the killing. She never mentions them, and reporters don't ever seem to ask that central question.
    You mean like putting a confessed gun trafficker in a half way house instead of jail?

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Actual safety doesn't matter. Do they FEEL safer?

Kinda like acutally assigning blame to the right person based upon facts, versus blaming everyone cause it makes me feel better.
    That's what I'm talking about. It always seems more hard to blame the right people, etc. etc. I don't even think 'they' even really try to act like they are helping people feel safer. I believe all they want is to look like they are doing something, even if ineffectual. And they do this right in everyone's faces and it gets eaten up. Maybe its' eaten up here in States like Marlyand. I got to remember where I'm at.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Terrible video quality but regardless, this guy was open carrying and went to ask some NMSP if they were going to issue citations? First bunch said they weren't going to talk about it and referred him to a couple of sergeants.

Sergeant on left, when asked if they were going to issue citations or honor his oath said that they do honor their oath but they were going to follow the directions they have been given from their superiors. Sergeant on right said that he was simply going to educate this guy that he was violating the Guvnah's health order and then walk away.
    I doubt you are going to get a truthful answer when you stick a camera in their face and ask them if they would disobey an order. It gets a LOT harder when they likely haven't seen the actual bill nor have they received any training from the department. I wonder how many road level cops are really intimately familiar with every piece of legislation in their state?

Honestly, I don't really know what the Montgomery County gun code about not carrying in certain places is. I'm a county resident, county cop and a gun owner. In theory, I should be pretty educated on what that law is, but I haven't read it, haven't followe the thread on MDS too closely, we haven't received guidance on it, and honestly I'm not a patrol officer and wouldn't be asked to enforce it anyways. If you stuck a camera in my face and asked if I would enforce it, I don't know enough about it to make a statement that I want posted on the internet... My gut feeling is that I'm not enforcing it, but I really don't know what it is. I'm not going on the record about it.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    That's what I'm talking about. It always seems more hard to blame the right people, etc. etc. I don't even think 'they' even really try to act like they are helping people feel safer. I believe all they want is to look like they are doing something, even if ineffectual. And they do this right in everyone's faces and it gets eaten up. Maybe its' eaten up here in States like Marlyand. I got to remember where I'm at.
    Some of them may just be doing something just to do something. It would be easier to direct prosecutors, police and judges to enforce existing laws if they wanted to do something though. I legitimately believe that many on the political left are so opposed to private gun ownership that it is a deliberate attempt to squeeze guns out of the hands of it's citizens. They aren't worried about gun crimes, because the ruling elite isn't effected by the gun violence. 90%+ of gun crimes are domestic/gang/drug related and doesn't affect them. I believe the end goal is gun confiscation.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Quadrupling down on this ought to lead to loss of qualified immunity for all concerned in the arrest chain, up to and including the Governor. That would make them liable for damages in a lawsuit over civil rights violation, or so I'm led to believe.

Could be payday for some lucky soul. Kinda like the ghetto lottery, but actually based on law.

davela

Aug 7, 2022
    Edgewater, MD
    Quadrupling down on this ought to lead to loss of qualified immunity for all concerned in the arrest chain, up to and including the Governor. That would make them liable for damages in a lawsuit over civil rights violation, or so I'm led to believe.

Could be payday for some lucky soul. Kinda like the ghetto lottery, but actually based on law.
    She did away with qualified immunity for all government officials, including herself.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    She did away with qualified immunity for all government officials, including herself.
    Brilliant move.

Time to push the tyrants and their minions into personal bankruptcy.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    For too long we've had electeds pass legislation with no regard for constitutionality...their mantra was "hey, pass it and let the courts sort it out." In the meantime citizens suffer under unconstitutional laws while the courts take years to work it out...and the electeds suffer no repercussions for the laws that are overturned. This must stop. Elected officials need to consider constitutionality on the frontend. before they vote to pass something.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This beast POS governor will not relent. She narrowed the order to public parks and playgrounds:

It still won't accomplish what she thinks it will . But at least the revised Order is within an order of magnitude of her authority .

Allocating State DOC personnel to help out at the County lockup certainly is in her pervue .

Not sure what the part about ordering HMOs to Identify treatments within 24 hrs is about ?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    For too long we've had electeds pass legislation with no regard for constitutionality...their mantra was "hey, pass it and let the courts sort it out." In the meantime citizens suffer under unconstitutional laws while the courts take years to work it out...and the electeds suffer no repercussions for the laws that are overturned. This must stop. Elected officials need to consider constitutionality on the frontend. before they vote to pass something.
    They cover their *ss by asking the AG of the state - not that that opinion would matter.

Politicians - no accountability, always someone else's fault.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    They cover their *ss by asking the AG of the state - not that that opinion would matter.

Politicians - no accountability, always someone else's fault.
    If I hire an attorney who gives me bad advice, I lose, not my bad attorney, thus I am incentivized to get better legal advice. This should be the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom