MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Yes but if you have portal access or remember your permit number they can call the permit number in and get all the other info they may need. Hell the application also has your soundex number on it to help with validation…

See Below

They don't want to look you up, they want to lock you up and take away your W/C permit. This is Maryland, a right exercised is a right that should be taken away!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Apparently the statute has not kept up with the technology

The Gun Center was started because of FSA 2013

Last edited:

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 9.31.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 9.31.39 AM.png

This is how I started my morning off... This should make for a fun week.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And last night I spoke with a W&C holder who had taken a one day ( 8-ish to 5-ish ) class from PTP .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    W&C according to them , and I asked about that . Didn't shake her down to look in her wallet to confirm . (She had a PTP sweatshirt which first started rhe convo with my ( gun owning)guitar buddy .

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Could this be a case of W&C students suing the MSP for the revocations? This would seem to be an avenue to get the 16 hour requirement dropped.

It is not the students fault the instructor(s) screwed up.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Could this be a case of W&C students suing the MSP for the revocations? This would seem to be an avenue to get the 16 hour requirement dropped.
    No. You signed a form score card saying you got 16 hours. Falsifying a document anyone? Could it be perjury?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    What kind of a dim-bulb would strap up and not make sure that their card is also on them? That's like hopping behind the wheel of a car and not having your drivers license.

You never accidentally left your wallet at home? I've done it several times.

Getting pulled over without your license is not a big deal. They can quickly establish your identity, confirm you have a valid license, and send you on your way with, I suppose, an additional fine.

(edit- yup, $50 fine. https://criminallawyermaryland.net/...t Are The Penalties for,payment of a $50 fine. )

Getting caught carrying without your permit is a VERY serious thing in Maryland. I think it's a felony.

This is a very stupid law and should be revoked.

It's right up there with the prohibition on carrying in State Parks, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    My friend and I signed up for an NRA CCW class. I want my NRA CCW instructor designation and this course is the pre-req. The instructor ensured the whole class we would meet all requirements for W&C. We started at 9am yesterday. I asked him when we would be finishing - he said 4pm so I said that means we're going to 6pm tomorrow night?

He of course said no. I pointed out that we wouldn't be getting what we need for for MD's W&C class if we didn't have a full 16 hours. He of course disagreed. I wasn't going to argue ad nauseam with him so dropped it. The class let out at 3pm yesterday and doesn't start until 2pm today. The absolute most we're going to get is 10 hours. I pulled up the legislation to show him, but he wasn't interested.

Now I already have my W&C (I am just trying to check an NRA box for the CCW instructor's cert), but my friend doesn't. I told him not to submit the application from this course. I would teach him for 16 hours for free to get him what he needs. We'll see what my friend decides to do.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Not if you completed it and then started cutting corners later

Filling out the form isn't the fraud. Submitting the application with a form that is knowingly false is. Either way you're splitting hairs and I doubt MD will agree with you.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Filling out the form isn't the fraud. Submitting the application with a form that is knowingly false is. Either way you're splitting hairs and I doubt MD will agree with you.
    Scenario

W&C instructor teaches a true 16 hours. You sign on the dotted line and are given a permit.

W&C instructor later on decides fvck it I want to get out of here and teaches 12 hours. Someone else signs on the dotted line and is given a permit.

MSP plant catches the instructor.

You committed no perjury, the other guy did. But you both seem likely to lose the permit if the instructor is caught.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Students ( who are aware) could demand refund/ file consumer complaint/ sue the Instructor for not providing what they paid for i.e. class of legally required duration .

As far as eliminating/ decreasing the 16hrs , not gonna happen . The Dems are wanting to INcrease the training requirements , not decrease .

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Scenario

W&C instructor teaches a true 16 hours. You sign on the dotted line and are given a permit.

W&C instructor later on decides fvck it I want to get out of here and teaches 12 hours. Someone else signs on the dotted line and is given a permit.

MSP plant catches the instructor.

You committed no perjury, the other guy did. But you both seem likely to lose the permit if the instructor is caught.

Agreed. Sorry misunderstood your scenario. I thought you were saying you signed the form at the start of the class truly believing it would be 16 hours. That way when the class was only 10 hours you hadn't committed a fraud.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Filling out the form isn't the fraud. Submitting the application with a form that is knowingly false is.

I suppose if the Instructor's certification with MSP had expired or something , the students couldn't know . But the general public can / can reasonably be expected to be able to read a watch , and tell 16hrs from 4, 8 , 10 , 12hrs .

Yeah , yeah . 1 on 1 , or small group of knowledgeable shooters , the required material and qual can be done in 6 hrs or less . It's not about learning , it's about Infringement .

( The above paragraph is describing MGA's motivation , and not a poke at the various Instructors who on their own volition present training far beyond MSP requirements . Students so inclined should by all means seek these Instructors on purpose .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom