MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    And last night I spoke with a W&C holder who had taken a one day ( 8-ish to 5-ish ) class from PTP .

I assume that 1 day was for the W&C or was it just for HQL?

W&C according to them , and I asked about that . Didn't shake her down to look in her wallet to confirm . (She had a PTP sweatshirt which first started rhe convo with my ( gun owning)guitar buddy .

Anyone know why Engage cut off their MDS IP status? The smart gun thing? Something else?
    Early in the W&C training surge, PTP was issuing a series of YouTube videos to watch, then ~10 hours of in-person class and range time. The issue that arose is YouTube training is not dynamic or two-way communication, which doesn't count towards training hours. I feel most of us at MDS are aware of the MSP document from the start of COVID that covers this.

PTP's solution when called to the carpet by MSP was a full day of Zoom or WebEx training to bring previous students back up to the required 16 hours. If someone had a W&C issued off of PTP's 1-day training, their permit was rescinded if they did not attend the Zoom/WebEx full day "catch up" training.

I'm not sure of PTP's current training agenda.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I haven't seen any bills, but there have been press releases.
    Until something is filed, it's pure speculation.

We all know the anti-2a crowd wants to move the pendulum back in their corner.

Until then, let's just wait and see what shakes out of the post-Bruen decisions. Bruen even called out onerous training is a nonstarter. Sometimes they will blunder like Montgomery County, that we can act on.

Otherwise, inducing stress over hypotheticals is not good for ones health.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't seen any bills, but there have been press releases.
    Until something is filed, it's pure speculation.

We all know the anti-2a crowd wants to move the pendulum back in their corner.

I get it about not filed yet . But press conference and coordinated talking points by multiple Pols is greater than zero in gaging their Intentions .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If they let these "less than 16 hour students" slide, that is basically the state saying the 16 hour class is ******** and isn't needed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My friend and I signed up for an NRA CCW class. I want my NRA CCW instructor designation and this course is the pre-req. The instructor ensured the whole class we would meet all requirements for W&C. We started at 9am yesterday. I asked him when we would be finishing - he said 4pm so I said that means we're going to 6pm tomorrow night?

He of course said no. I pointed out that we wouldn't be getting what we need for for MD's W&C class if we didn't have a full 16 hours. He of course disagreed. I wasn't going to argue ad nauseam with him so dropped it. The class let out at 3pm yesterday and doesn't start until 2pm today. The absolute most we're going to get is 10 hours. I pulled up the legislation to show him, but he wasn't interested.

Now I already have my W&C (I am just trying to check an NRA box for the CCW instructor's cert), but my friend doesn't. I told him not to submit the application from this course. I would teach him for 16 hours for free to get him what he needs. We'll see what my friend decides to do.
    That jackass needs to be reported to NRA and have ALL of his training credentials pulled.

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Jan 25, 2010
    Harwood, Md.
    Ok so what happened

Instructor cut corners?

You do something stupid?

I believe it has to do with training but I'm guessing I'll know more tomorrow when I can call them.

The entire process has been pretty cumbersome. When I applied for the permit I was denied initially because of a failed background check where they had chargers from someone else for distribution of CDS mixed in with mine. With that said, the trooper that was assigned to my hearing didn't make me wait the two weeks and had someone handle it right away, so I'm thankful for that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That jackass needs to be reported to NRA and have ALL of his training credentials pulled.
    needs to be reported to MSPLD and NRA. There is an ethics and morals obligation to maintaining your NRA Instructor creds. This supposed instructor violated law, morals and ethics. He really should be outed and have his creds revoked. NRA might even rattle the cage of the TC who gave him his instructor class.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    I believe it has to do with training but I'm guessing I'll know more tomorrow when I can call them.

The entire process has been pretty cumbersome. When I applied for the permit I was denied initially because of a failed background check where they had chargers from someone else for distribution of CDS mixed in with mine. With that said, the trooper that was assigned to my hearing didn't make me wait the two weeks and had someone handle it right away, so I'm thankful for that.
    Did you ever find out what the issue is?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If never use this place simply because of his horrible website.
    "I Andrew Green is the owner of Green Firearm Training. We are a full mobile Firearm Training Company. We offer Maryland HQL (To be able to purchase) Maryland Wear and Carry (To be able to conceal carry) as well as a wide variety of non resident permit courses."

Why do I get the feeling that you need to prepay using only Bitcoins?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I have been warned that another instructor on the eastern shore is about to go down for teaching the class in 8 hours and expect a lot of students coming our way. He has taught hundreds. To make sure you should you are getting what you need then ask the instructor before you attend class if he is doing it in 16 hours, if he doesn't do it then ask for a refund. MSP is now going much more vigilant about instructor training then in any other times since the training requirement. Two other instructors have already been suspended for a year on the shore.

As for training you should alwasy train. Along with our 16 hour class we have remedial classes every 2nd thursday and 4th thursay of the month for anyone who told our class. There is no cost and they can come as many times as they want. 16 hours is craming and we beleive that they deserve better.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I had the opportunity to meet one of the instructors who has been dinged for improper W & C instruction. Really gung-ho and outgoing. I declined to introduce myself.

Heard another instructor from Maryland stand up and say that duty to retreat in Maryland required you to either jump out of windows or proceed to a higher floor unless you were on the third floor.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Heard another instructor from Maryland stand up and say that duty to retreat in Maryland required you to either jump out of windows or proceed to a higher floor and less you were on the third floor.
    This sounds reasonable to me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom