MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Would you rather be charged for carrying without a permit?
    I mean I don’t agree with permits but till we get stuff constitutionally, we have to deal with what we have. They can take your firearm as well.

Sent from an undisclosed location.
    Either way the MSP must notify you in writing.

If they take your handgun, you are supposed to get a property receipt.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What kind of a dim-bulb would strap up and not make sure that their card is also on them? That's like hopping behind the wheel of a car and not having your drivers license.
    I've rolled out of the house without my creds 2 times over the years. Had stuff in 1 pair of pants, but threw on a different pair and went directly out the door. Just distracted. I went ahead running my errands. What helped me was that knowing over the years NO ONE has "caught" me carrying and and wasn't going to happen in the 45 minutes or so I was running around.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I’m guessing there is no law mandating you have it with you when driving.

frank_e_h

Aug 27, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Ive been pulled over without my DL before and they didnt even care. Not even a warning (for that). I gave them my info respectfully, they looked me up and saw I had a clean record and let me go with a warning for speeding or tag lights or whatever they pulled me for.

Maybe theres a reason you have to have you W/C card with you? Seems like if they can look up your DL they should be able to look up your Carry license as well

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Maybe theres a reason you have to have you W/C card with you? Seems like if they can look up your DL they should be able to look up your Carry license as well
    The reason is printed words/letters in the law, that says the carry permit must be on your person when carrying.

frank_e_h

Aug 27, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    The reason is printed words/letters in the law, that says the carry permit must be on your person when carrying.

Comparing administrative law (Driving - Traffic Court) with Criminal Law (Carrying - Real Court), is the difference.

I understand its part of the written law. I was just curious about WHY its part of the law. Maybe your other reply is the reason. Maybe its important that LE can quickly verify if you have the right to carry and doesnt have time, or want to take the time, to go look it up.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ive been pulled over without my DL before and they didnt even care. Not even a warning (for that). I gave them my info respectfully, they looked me up and saw I had a clean record and let me go with a warning for speeding or tag lights or whatever they pulled me for.

Maybe theres a reason you have to have you W/C card with you? Seems like if they can look up your DL they should be able to look up your Carry license as

Super-resistant gonorrhea is now a thing. Resistant to every antibiotic known to man.....
    Way to kill my hopes and dreams Doc. Thanks.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I understand its part of the written law. I was just curious about WHY its part of the law.
    A good time to stop looking at Maryland firearm-related statutes is when you catch yourself asking “but, why …?”

There is never a solid rationale, and the real motivations for the legislators are always, always unrelated to their purported purpose. To wit: they hate you. You, personally. And everything you represent by harboring even a whiff of willingness to defend yourself or otherwise doing something individualistic in this state (starting a business, running a farm, having a vision for your kid’s education, etc). The language is in the statute because it makes your life harder and more easily puts you in legal jeopardy. That’s it.

Dean5791

Remington Fan
    Mar 25, 2010
    When I was looking for an instructor, I called folks on the MSP list. One was out of the country, and told me he had a friend holding the class for him. His "friend" was not on the MSP approved instructor list so I said no thanks. Be careful who you give your money to...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I understand its part of the written law. I was just curious about WHY its part of the law. Maybe your other reply is the reason. Maybe its important that LE can quickly verify if you have the right to carry and doesnt have time, or want to take the time, to go look it up.
    WHY: so permits can be revoked. Antis want every reason possible to decrease the number of people carrying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom