MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Is there any issue with a QHIC certifying family for CCW? I haven't found anything that says it's an issue. If I'm signing my name saying they took the course then that's that regardless of who they are.

Derail begin. Kind of.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Is there any issue with a QHIC certifying family for CCW? I haven't found anything that says it's an issue. If I'm signing my name saying they took the course then that's that regardless of who they are.

Derail begin. Kind of.
    Legally no. I would not even sign for my friend whom I used as a reference when I got mine. I had the other instructor I teach with do his.

I dont see a problem with it, but it could heighten the level that persons app is looked at with.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Ive been pulled over without my DL before and they didnt even care. Not even a warning (for that). I gave them my info respectfully, they looked me up and saw I had a clean record and let me go with a warning for speeding or tag lights or whatever they pulled me for.

Maybe theres a reason you have to have you W/C card with you? Seems like if they can look up your DL they should be able to look up your Carry license as well

They don't want to look you up, they want to lock you up and take away your W/C permit. This is Maryland, a right exercised is a right that should be taken away!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Legally no. I would not even sign for my friend whom I used as a reference when I got mine. I had the other instructor I teach with do his.

I dont see a problem with it, but it could heighten the level that persons app is looked at with.
    Legal is all I need

What are they going to require that I provide video of me teaching because it's my dad/cousin/etc?

I'm planning to get it literally just for friends and family. It's a cost avoidance thing for me/us. Hundreds every 2 years or I can get it and handle instruction in exchange for lunch and ammo.

Not like having it mandates you to accept students who contact you.

frank_e_h

Aug 27, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    A good time to stop looking at Maryland firearm-related statutes is when you catch yourself asking “but, why …?”

There is never a solid rationale, and the real motivations for the legislators are always, always unrelated to their purported purpose. To wit: they hate you. You, personally. And everything you represent by harboring even a whiff of willingness to defend yourself or otherwise doing something individualistic in this state (starting a business, running a farm, having a vision for your kid’s education, etc). The language is in the statute because it makes your life harder and more easily puts you in legal jeopardy. That’s it.

WHY: so permits can be revoked. Antis want every reason possible to decrease the number of people carrying.

They don't want to look you up, they want to lock you up and take away your W/C permit. This is Maryland, a right exercised is a right that should be taken away!
    True words!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Legal is all I need

What are they going to require that I provide video of me teaching because it's my dad/cousin/etc?

I'm planning to get it literally just for friends and family. It's a cost avoidance thing for me/us. Hundreds every 2 years or I can get it and handle instruction in exchange for lunch and ammo.

You are just fine. No statutory issue with training anyone that you are legally entitled to train. Proceed with your plan.

I suspect that what you describe will become the "normal" within the MD gun culture until we find a way to get the training requirements killed. Someone will handle the training for their friends/family/gun club.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You are just fine. No statutory issue with training anyone that you are legally entitled to train. Proceed with your plan.

I suspect that what you describe will become the "normal" within the MD gun culture until we find a way to get the training requirements killed. Someone will handle the training for their friends/family/gun club.
    I have this vision of a non-profit who teaches people for the lowest reasonable rate just so they can exercise their rights.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Legal is all I need

I have considered this as well.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I'm not billing myself as some kind of high speed shooting instructor. This is about a box check.
    Exactly.

I have thought about doing this so family and friends can get what they need until we can get rid of the unconstitutional barrier.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    just reading the statute. Just making sure all are aware. Seems very harsh since it can be verified in other ways.

AFAIK the only way would be for them to call the MD gun center and give them your ID info.
    It is not tied to your driver’s license directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They don't advertise"Hi , we're non- profit " . But at under $200 price point , it's de facto non profit .

( I've had in person conversations where they said to the effect " I'm not making anything , I'm doing it because I believe in it " , but any of them can name themselves if they wish ."

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I got mine for 3 reasons, not having to renew the class every two years, to teach thru my club, and 3 incase MGA trys anything funky ( it might help ).

I have done a class for a few friends out side of the club. We do zoom classes for about half of it a few hours at a time. Then do face to face one day when we can all get together for the last bit of hours and range time.

edit I did one lady for free, including the ammo. Her husband died and until everything worked out for the estate and wills she was living on family charity.

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    AFAIK the only way would be for them to call the MD gun center and give them your ID info.
    It is not tied to your driver’s license directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes but if you have portal access or remember your permit number they can call the permit number in and get all the other info they may need. Hell the application also has your soundex number on it to help with validation…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom