• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    All,

I am planning to purchase my first hand gun but I got few questions. what kind of daily pain would it have from MD Police as it is recorded with them?

1) Do they come to my home every time I buy ammo to go to the shooting range and I need to give explanations with all the proofs?

2) Do they cause unnecessary trouble while going in my own car with out the gun but still they can see me the gun owner in records. For example if I am going to work @8AM and if I get pulled over just for nothing but I am a gun owner.

Any answers appreciated just don't want to get another headache outside of work and usual daily stuff. I would rather use a baseball bat for home defense and a forget about target shooting for now.

Thanks
    suptier

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I've never had any interaction with the police related to my firearms ownership in this state. Some guns are regulated at purchase time and I'm sure there's a list. But traffic stops, etc.. it's never come up, never received a vist.. etc..

MD is pretty bad, but not as bad as what you're describing (at least yet!)

Welcome to the forum!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Helpful Hints Video[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT]

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    no Sir, I am not joking. I am a permanent resident card holder living in Maryland close to 10 years. This is the first time I started looking for a gun in US and I am not exactly sure how much pain it would be, just checking with senior folks here.

Thanks for all your input.

I'm presuming your post is a joke as none of what you ask is really a concern. At least not yet.

Welcome aboard!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    registration is voluntary...pistols have to be on the MSP approved handgun list to BUY in the state of MD...MD gov hasnt come to GESTAPO tactics to check out how much ammo you bought or check on you YET...welcome to the site and search is your friend on here....many of your questions are probably already answered on this forum.:thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You will have no trouble at all.

The paperwork and 7 - 10 day wait are mostly an annoyance.

They don't even bother to catalogue the fired shell casings.

You will be in a database somewhere, but it won't mean anything unless you have some kind of serious legal problem stemming from something else.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Please join MSI and help defend your rights!

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    thank you for the info. I will take the safety course online and head out to Basspro soon. I joined nra recently, I will signup for MSI as well.

You will have no trouble at all.

The paperwork and 7 - 10 day wait are mostly an annoyance.

They don't even bother to catalogue the fired shell casings.

You will be in a database somewhere, but it won't mean anything unless you have some kind of serious legal problem stemming from something else.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Please join MSI and help defend your rights!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    no Sir, I am not joking. I am a permanent resident card holder living in Maryland close to 10 years. This is the first time I started looking for a gun in US and I am not exactly sure how much pain it would be, just checking with senior folks here.

Thanks for all your input.
    As long as a "permanent resident card holder" can legally own a handgun in Maryland, it's a good bet you will never have any interaction with the police, whether buying ammo or while in your car.

I meant no disrespect to you, and again, I say welcome aboard!

I'll also second the joining MSI suggestion.

http://marylandshallissue.org/

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Nothing you listed is a concern. Ammo purchases are not tracked. I own many handguns and have never been stopped because of this. Patrol officers do not have a list of gun owners. They make purchasing a handgun a pain in Maryland, but after that, good to go.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    thank you for the info. I will take the safety course online and head out to Basspro soon. I joined nra recently, I will signup for MSI as well.
    Don't buy a handgun at bass pro. Their prices are high, and the customer service isn't the best. You will get a better price and have a more enjoyable experience at a good local shop. The industry partners section of this forum has a lot of good shops listed in it.

As for the stuff in your original post, it'll never happen. Most of it would be illegal for the police to do.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    As others have said, you don't have to worry about any of that. The biggest problems facing the MD gun community are snuffing out the various anti-gun laws that pop up in the MD State Legislature and trying to reform our broken CCW laws.

Owning a regulated firearm in Maryland isn't that big of a deal - yet.

Just out of curiosity, are you a transplant from California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, or Washington DC? (you know, the short list of places that treat their gun owners worse than MD?)

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    All,

I am planning to purchase my first hand gun but I got few questions. what kind of daily pain would it have from MD Police as it is recorded with them?

1) Do they come to my home every time I buy ammo to go to the shooting range and I need to give explanations with all the proofs?

2) Do they cause unnecessary trouble while going in my own car with out the gun but still they can see me the gun owner in records. For example if I am going to work @8AM and if I get pulled over just for nothing but I am a gun owner.

Any answers appreciated just don't want to get another headache outside of work and usual daily stuff. I would rather use a baseball bat for home defense and a forget about target shooting for now.

Thanks
    suptier

Where are you located? I suggest Engage in Kensington, MD. If you are unfamiliar with firearms, I suggest you get training from Engage as well. Also, knowing the law(s) will help you easily avoid bad situations.

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    No, I never lived in any of those states (only Illinois for 9 months) . But I work in DC.

As others have said, you don't have to worry about any of that. The biggest problems facing the MD gun community are snuffing out the various anti-gun laws that pop up in the MD State Legislature and trying to reform our broken CCW laws.

Owning a regulated firearm in Maryland isn't that big of a deal - yet.

Just out of curiosity, are you a transplant from California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, or Washington DC? (you know, the short list of places that treat their gun owners worse than MD?)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    welcome.

first time buyer? who told you about being watch by the po-po? somebody was trying to scare you?

like every one already mentioned.. you are fine owning a firearm in MD. if you plan to buy a handgun or any regulated firearm, you need to take the safety training course.. its an online course..

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

get some hand on experience if you havent shot any firearm before. go to range and rent first so you know how it feels. once you are happy w/ certain gun, then you buy.

enjoy!

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    Thank you very much for the information. I am familiar with the hand guns, used several of them at on target in Severn.

But I am thinking of taking the training classes provided by NRA instructors. Also went through several web sites to understand the details of the law in MD and other states. I might talk to some local govt agencies for the details of the different laws.

Where are you located? I suggest Engage in Kensington, MD. If you are unfamiliar with firearms, I suggest you get training from Engage as well. Also, knowing the law(s) will help you easily avoid bad situations.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Thank you very much for the information. I am familiar with the hand guns, used several of them at on target in Severn.

But I am thinking of taking the training classes provided by NRA instructors. Also went through several web sites to understand the details of the law in MD and other states. I might talk to some local govt agencies for the details of the different laws.

Careful, you might get arrested for doing that.

Just kidding.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom