• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm on more watch lists than you! :lol2:

Your on my watch list and that's the most dangerous of them all.

I recently pulled records of all purple mini coopers with rainbow flags on top and tassels on the mirrors and 8 came up. 7 are in San Fran 1 is in the DMV area hmmmmm.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    For 9mm any of the Ruger "P" guns will be great. I like the P-89 with decocker. It is about as safe of a semi auto pistol as you can find. for the 22 The rugers are a pain to put back together. I would look at a Browning Buckmark over the Ruger. If you want a "fun gun" take a look at the Walther P22. It is very simple to operate, loads of fun to shoot.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Your on my watch list and that's the most dangerous of them all.

I recently pulled records of all purple mini coopers with rainbow flags on top and tassels on the mirrors and 8 came up. 7 are in San Fran 1 is in the DMV area hmmmmm.

Damn.... Ouch... I felt that in my ass!

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    One last question for the seniors, are there any county level regulations for fire ownerships I need to understand on top of federal and state? I live in Howard county, MD.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I just know only on target and Bass pro. I think I should do some research in the industry partners. I finished the on line training course today and thought of going back to bass pro this week end. May be I should research for price before. Thanks all for your in put.

If i had my choice between the two, I would go to On Target first. I stopped in Bass last Saturday and was surprised by the lack of handgun inventory. I'm assuming you're South of the Baltimore Beltway so I would suggest 2A Sales in Jessup. I prefer supporting a local gun shop since they will be the ones supporting you.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Cliff notes on buying handgun in MD;
    1. Go to mdgunsafety.com, watch the course online and print out the certification cards.
    2. Locate the handgun you want. If it is older than 1985 you are okay, but newer than from 1985 it has to be on the approved handgun list. You can buy from either from a gunshop or online seller. From an online seller it will have to be shipped to a FFL holder, like a gunshop, or some pawn shops. You call them, and tell them you are buying a handgun online and ask if they can do the transfer for you. Then they will email or fax the license to the seller, and you send payment with info on whom to send it to. If you buy a NEW handgun online, it has to come with a spent shell case or you will have to find a FFL with a manufacturers license who can manufacture (shoot) a spent case and submit it to the state police. If you buy a new handgun locally, you may pay more, but it will likely already have a spent case with it if it's being sold in state. A USED handgun requires no spent case, so that may save some time, money and headache.
    3. Once the handgun has come into the FFL, or you decide on one in the shop, you will fill out some paperwork, show them your online cerification card, fill out the federal background, maryland forms, then you will have to wait 7 days or so and if you are "not disapproved", you can go and pay and pick up your handgun.
    4. Before walking out with the handgun, if it does not have an internal lock, you need to purchase one. I think if it was made prior to 2000 (?) you can just use/buy a trigger lock. New than 2000, it need the kind that goes down the bore and locks up the action.
    5. After you get it home, just make sure it's escure and prohibited persons, or persons underage don't have access to it. You can't just go carrying it around like an unregulated long gun, but you can travel with it to the range, home, or to/from work if it's for your job. If you get pulled over for anything, I would notify the officer it's in the car, keep your hands in the clear, and it's legally your firearm. I have never been harrassed by the police over any guns, and unless you go outside waving or pointing one around, you'll be fine. It is a little intimidating the first time, but it get's easier. Good luck, and this forum is a wealth of information.Welcome

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    Thank you all for the information and help you have provided. Completed on line course on Thursday, I just came back from ontarget, severn.Just purchased Beretta M9. Filled out all the paper work and now waiting. They said 8 to 10 day wait time and they will call me. Can't wait.........:)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... If you get pulled over for anything, I would notify the officer it's in the car...

Why?

You're not required to notify, and it can only cause harm.

Many, perhaps most LEOs aren't really up on the fine points of firearms law, and may think you're illegal when you're not.

They could even think you're somehow threatening them.

Notifying them for no reason can only cause trouble. Nothing good can come of it.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    All,

I am planning to purchase my first hand gun but I got few questions. what kind of daily pain would it have from MD Police as it is recorded with them?

1) Do they come to my home every time I buy ammo to go to the shooting range and I need to give explanations with all the proofs?

2) Do they cause unnecessary trouble while going in my own car with out the gun but still they can see me the gun owner in records. For example if I am going to work @8AM and if I get pulled over just for nothing but I am a gun owner.

Any answers appreciated just don't want to get another headache outside of work and usual daily stuff. I would rather use a baseball bat for home defense and a forget about target shooting for now.

Thanks
    suptier[/QUOTE

If you feel uncomfortable then take a class somewhere. It will help.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    All,

I am planning to purchase my first hand gun but I got few questions. what kind of daily pain would it have from MD Police as it is recorded with them?

1) Do they come to my home every time I buy ammo to go to the shooting range and I need to give explanations with all the proofs?

2) Do they cause unnecessary trouble while going in my own car with out the gun but still they can see me the gun owner in records. For example if I am going to work @8AM and if I get pulled over just for nothing but I am a gun owner.

Any answers appreciated just don't want to get another headache outside of work and usual daily stuff. I would rather use a baseball bat for home defense and a forget about target shooting for now.

Thanks
    suptier

Hey Welcome :)

Nothing to worry about like that. Just follow the laws when you go to the range and you'll be fine. If you want to be safe; put your gun in a box in your trunk unloaded, but your ammo in a diff box and keep a copy of the range receipt.

I personally wouldn't go around asking a ton of questions to govt agencies.

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    Thank you all for the information and help you have provided. Completed on line course on Thursday, I just came back from ontarget, severn.Just purchased Beretta M9. Filled out all the paper work and now waiting. They said 8 to 10 day wait time and they will call me. Can't wait.........:)

Congratulations on your first purchase. The 7 day wait will make you crazy.

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    I know this 7 day time is driving me crazy. But I might wait to pick it up little while until I figure out the below thing. :sad53:

I have one more thing to seniors. Unfortunately or fortunately my house is across a school. Not right at the edge of the road. School property starts at the edge of the road. My town house is on the other side but probably more or less 1000 feet inside. Is this going to be a problem?

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    My eyes are burning reading through 18 USC 922 :sad20:

I know this 7 day time is driving me crazy. But I might wait to pick it up little while until I figure out the below thing. :sad53:

I have one more thing to seniors. Unfortunately or fortunately my house is across a school. Not right at the edge of the road. School property starts at the edge of the road. My town house is on the other side but probably more or less 1000 feet inside. Is this going to be a problem?

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    congrats.. not so bad to own gun here in md. enjoy the berreta. get used to the wait because you will want more.

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    some one?? Looks like 922. UNLAWFUL ACTS 2(B) talks about it. I guess allowed to own.

(2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

My eyes are burning reading through 18 USC 922 :sad20:

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    Just want throw what I heard from ATF and MDState Police.

They both said, because it is my residence even though I am living close to the school I can own a gun and possess. If I am carrying to the gun range then I have to unload, lock it in the truck and transport back and forth even though the school property is 3 feet from the road I have to drive.

some one?? Looks like 922. UNLAWFUL ACTS 2(B) talks about it. I guess allowed to own.

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    Now I know what you mean about 7 day wait, I bought it last Sunday and still waiting. :sad20:

I called the shop and they said my pick up date is 14th, looks like 7 business days.

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    I got my bereta M-9 home :party29:

I am already ready for second one :lol2:

Cliff notes on buying handgun in MD;
    1. Go to mdgunsafety.com, watch the course online and print out the certification cards.
    2. Locate the handgun you want. If it is older than 1985 you are okay, but newer than from 1985 it has to be on the approved handgun list. You can buy from either from a gunshop or online seller. From an online seller it will have to be shipped to a FFL holder, like a gunshop, or some pawn shops. You call them, and tell them you are buying a handgun online and ask if they can do the transfer for you. Then they will email or fax the license to the seller, and you send payment with info on whom to send it to. If you buy a NEW handgun online, it has to come with a spent shell case or you will have to find a FFL with a manufacturers license who can manufacture (shoot) a spent case and submit it to the state police. If you buy a new handgun locally, you may pay more, but it will likely already have a spent case with it if it's being sold in state. A USED handgun requires no spent case, so that may save some time, money and headache.
    3. Once the handgun has come into the FFL, or you decide on one in the shop, you will fill out some paperwork, show them your online cerification card, fill out the federal background, maryland forms, then you will have to wait 7 days or so and if you are "not disapproved", you can go and pay and pick up your handgun.
    4. Before walking out with the handgun, if it does not have an internal lock, you need to purchase one. I think if it was made prior to 2000 (?) you can just use/buy a trigger lock. New than 2000, it need the kind that goes down the bore and locks up the action.
    5. After you get it home, just make sure it's escure and prohibited persons, or persons underage don't have access to it. You can't just go carrying it around like an unregulated long gun, but you can travel with it to the range, home, or to/from work if it's for your job. If you get pulled over for anything, I would notify the officer it's in the car, keep your hands in the clear, and it's legally your firearm. I have never been harrassed by the police over any guns, and unless you go outside waving or pointing one around, you'll be fine. It is a little intimidating the first time, but it get's easier. Good luck, and this forum is a wealth of information.Welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom