• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    Sirex, you are right, it gets easier. I got my gun (beretta 92fs) for 2 weeks now. Applied my Utah ccw permit, now I am thinking to get a Compact Glock for concealed carry :-)

Now I am laughing at the questions I have posted:lol2:

Cliff notes on buying handgun in MD;
    1. Go to mdgunsafety.com, watch the course online and print out the certification cards.
    2. Locate the handgun you want. If it is older than 1985 you are okay, but newer than from 1985 it has to be on the approved handgun list. You can buy from either from a gunshop or online seller. From an online seller it will have to be shipped to a FFL holder, like a gunshop, or some pawn shops. You call them, and tell them you are buying a handgun online and ask if they can do the transfer for you. Then they will email or fax the license to the seller, and you send payment with info on whom to send it to. If you buy a NEW handgun online, it has to come with a spent shell case or you will have to find a FFL with a manufacturers license who can manufacture (shoot) a spent case and submit it to the state police. If you buy a new handgun locally, you may pay more, but it will likely already have a spent case with it if it's being sold in state. A USED handgun requires no spent case, so that may save some time, money and headache.
    3. Once the handgun has come into the FFL, or you decide on one in the shop, you will fill out some paperwork, show them your online cerification card, fill out the federal background, maryland forms, then you will have to wait 7 days or so and if you are "not disapproved", you can go and pay and pick up your handgun.
    4. Before walking out with the handgun, if it does not have an internal lock, you need to purchase one. I think if it was made prior to 2000 (?) you can just use/buy a trigger lock. New than 2000, it need the kind that goes down the bore and locks up the action.
    5. After you get it home, just make sure it's escure and prohibited persons, or persons underage don't have access to it. You can't just go carrying it around like an unregulated long gun, but you can travel with it to the range, home, or to/from work if it's for your job. If you get pulled over for anything, I would notify the officer it's in the car, keep your hands in the clear, and it's legally your firearm. I have never been harrassed by the police over any guns, and unless you go outside waving or pointing one around, you'll be fine. It is a little intimidating the first time, but it get's easier. Good luck, and this forum is a wealth of information.Welcome

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Twice I bought ammo from walmart and the police met me at my house to check on me. I've been checked a few times, I usually just show them what they want to see and say "see you next time" with a big smile. I hide guns all over the house, when they come to do their checks I tell them the first to find the most gets a prize! The prize is usually free doughnuts or 711 giftcards. Honestly its not all that bad they are just doing their jobs.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Twice I bought ammo from walmart and the police met me at my house to check on me. I've been checked a few times, I usually just show them what they want to see and say "see you next time" with a big smile. I hide guns all over the house, when they come to do their checks I tell them the first to find the most gets a prize! The prize is usually free doughnuts or 711 giftcards. Honestly its not all that bad they are just doing their jobs.

images

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Twice I bought ammo from walmart and the police met me at my house to check on me...

Oh, that's nothing.

Every time I buy ammo, by the time I get home I find Governor O'Malley, Mayor Bloomberg, and Sarah Brady sitting on my front porch waiting for me, glowering with dark looks of disapproval.

They refuse to leave until I give them coffee and crullers...

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    I'm guessing the op is not originally from the US.

Welcome aboard and where are you from? :)

Feb 6, 2012
    Nothing you listed is a concern. Ammo purchases are not tracked. I own many handguns and have never been stopped because of this. Patrol officers do not have a list of gun owners. They make purchasing a handgun a pain in Maryland, but after that, good to go.

Not to mention that legally owning a firearm is not a sufficient reason for an officer to perform a search of someone or their car. If they do not have a have reason to search you or your car and they do so anyway, you could bring them to court. I'm not against the police, but their job is to uphold the law, not break it.

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I finally took the online safety course and ordered the C & R forms, will fill out and send the designated collector form when I get home. Kinda feels like I'm doing things backwards after being in the army for 6 years.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes, I totally agree. I got another ruger 1022 takedown I love it. Waiting for 30 more days to get another.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

There's no 30 day wait for ordinary rifles and shotguns like that Ruger. You can buy them every day.

Of course, Governor O'Malley might come over to your house and glare at you.

suptier

Feb 2, 2012
    :lol2:. I know I was bit too nervous when I got the first one last year.

Now I am almost easy. Most likely I will use the guns to decorate the walls in my house slowly.

There's no 30 day wait for ordinary rifles and shotguns like that Ruger. You can buy them every day.

Of course, Governor O'Malley might come over to your house and glare at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom