Does “Commit to Buy” button override a well-documented, seller buyer agreement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    here is the deal... the classified are a service provided by Don and MDS. These things need to be worked out between the seller and the buyer. If they aren't, f it. If you feel like you have a legitimate complaint, take it to the admins/mods. Otherwise, move on. Nothing is final until you have $ or the item in hand. Regardless of PM's, emails or even CTB.

I definitely understand the problem and your frustration, but at the end of the day... if the classifieds start creating more work for MDS, they'll get rid of it. They don't make anything off of it and if it is a headache for them, there is no reason that they would continue to operate it. just my $.02.

Again, not bagging on anyone, just throwing the big picture out there.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    here is the deal... the classified are a service provided by Don and MDS. These things need to be worked out between the seller and the buyer. If they aren't, f it. If you feel like you have a legitimate complaint, take it to the admins/mods. Otherwise, move on. Nothing is final until you have $ or the item in $. Regardless of PM's, emails or even CTB.

I definitely understand the problem and your frustration, but at the end of the day... if the classifieds start creating more work for MDS, they'll get rid of it. They don't make anything off of it and if it is a headache for them, there is no reason that they would continue to operate it. just my $.02.

Again, not bagging on anyone, just throwing the big picture out there.
    Well said sir! :thumbsup:

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    This is actually pretty easy to do.
    If you get pm's discussing the item for sale and agree to buy/sell why not hit the CTB button after pm's? Your already here on the site dealing with the buyer/seller so why can't one of you close or CTB?
    So easy a caveman can do it. :D

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    If you get pm's discussing the item for sale and agree to buy/sell why not hit the CTB button after pm's? Your already here on the site dealing with the buyer/seller so why can't one of you close or CTB?

This :thumbsup:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    ^Very true^ and very easy, but what if in the 60 seconds you are going back and forth in PM's someone comes in and hits CTB?

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    ehhh... i'm with OP here... a done deal is a done deal... no CTB button needed.... now if someone hits it during negotiations then its another story.... but once it has been agreed upon then the seller should be willing to tell the other person (who clicked CTB) that it was the sellers fault for not removing the ad...

cant count how many times some @sshole clicked CTB on my ads and then i cant get them to respond...

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    So basically in our classifieds the rules should be..... item must be listed with firm price only, no negotiations, and no offers. Sellers cannot put "obo" or "make offer" on any price because while doing so it is very possible that, even if you make a deal, someone might click CTB before you have finalized your deal and you click CTB yourself.

Also in the future for all the people that click CTB and then DO NOT BUY. They should be forced to honor there click or be banned!

Feb 28, 2013
    If you already had a deal agreed upon, then the item was already sold.

Same thing if someone hit commit to buy and you had already sold it through another site. Sorry, its gone.

That's about where I would fall on the matter if I were a seller.

Besides, who's to say several folks didn't hit CTB at a given time?

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010

^Very true^ and very easy, but what if in the 60 seconds you are going back and forth in PM's someone comes in and hits CTB?

If it's priced right and a good deal that's a chance you take for skipping that step and negotiating.

I missed out on a good deal on a shotgun recently because of this exact scenario. The seller was far from me so I asked him if he is ever in my neck of the woods. He messages me back and says yes AND he's already planning to be here in the very near future. So I send a final message saying ok I'm going to commit.....and then when I go to commit the ad is gone. Got beat out by seconds!!!

...I put on my big boy pants, PM'd the seller one more time asking him to contact me if his deal falls through (he said he would) and thanking him. It didn't even require a ride in the whaaaaaaambulance :lol2:

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I missed out on a good deal on a shotgun recently because of this exact scenario. The seller was far from me so I asked him if he is ever in my neck of the woods. He messages me back and says yes AND he's already planning to be here in the very near future. So I send a final message saying ok I'm going to commit.....and then when I go to commit the ad is gone. Got beat out by seconds!!!

...I put on my big boy pants, PM'd the seller one more time asking him to contact me if his deal falls through (he said he would) and thanking him. It didn't even require a ride in the whaaaaaaambulance :lol2:

So you didn't need an HFR? Hurt feelings report. Good for you. I will say one thing on this subject. There was someone that DID hit the CTB button on 3 different members and then backed out of all 3 deals. To me, that's not right and yes, something should be done with that member. If it's a one time thing, I understand. But 3 times. Nope sorry, you deserve some kind of banishment.

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    So you didn't need an HFR? Hurt feelings report. Good for you. I will say one thing on this subject. There was someone that DID hit the CTB button on 3 different members and then backed out of all 3 deals. To me, that's not right and yes, something should be done with that member. If it's a one time thing, I understand. But 3 times. Nope sorry, you deserve some kind of banishment.

Agreed. Hopefully members pay attention to that particular guy's feedback and avoid him in the future.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

And that's what has happened so far...haggling then either my Commit or in one case erwos did something to indicate a sale. Frankly, as much as I might want an item on here, nothings worth getting too irate about it because as occbrian stated the classifieds are a free service and I, for one, don't want to cause the moderators any extra grief. For that matter if a CTB beat me out, my wife would probably assert that I need another <fill in the blank> like I need a hole in my head! :lol2:

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I'm sorry but if the admins are going to kick someone out for keeping their word and sharing their opinion then I have lost respect for this forum.

Sorry but if somebody gets screwed because they can't read the rules, and then reads them and decide they don't want to follow them and then keeps complaining and gets kicked I wouldn't lose a single bit of sleep over it.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I wish the CTB was optional and the seller could choose if they want it "enabled" or not. I am also on the list of folks who lost out while getting a location question answered by the seller. I also have had a buyer PM me a lower offer and then hit "CTB" on an ad even though I refused their offer, thus screwing up my ad.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    What about if someone backs out of a CTB?

My buddy has been had ad going, the buyer hit commit to buy, and then backed out. I know MDshooters is not responsible for recourse of bad buyers. But what can the seller do if CTB is clicked and then the buyer has a change of heart? Is negative feedback only and best option to warn other members?

Feb 28, 2013
    What about if someone backs out of a CTB?

My buddy has been had ad going, the buyer hit commit to buy, and then backed out. I know MDshooters is not responsible for recourse of bad buyers. But what can the seller do if CTB is clicked and then the buyer has a change of heart? Is negative feedback only and best option to warn other members?

I think so. Besides, they deserve negative feedback for backing out of an agreed upon deal, at least if it's someone with a reputation for that sort of thing.

What does it look like to a seller when someone hits "CTB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom