Does “Commit to Buy” button override a well-documented, seller buyer agreement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I wish the CTB was optional and the seller could choose if they want it "enabled" or not. I am also on the list of folks who lost out while getting a location question answered by the seller. I also have had a buyer PM me a lower offer and then hit "CTB" on an ad even though I refused their offer, thus screwing up my ad.

This is one of my pet peeves. If someone is going to sell something how about letting us all know WHERE THE HECK WE HAVE TO COME TO GET IT!!!!! I am not sure if that's one of the rules, but it should be. I mean at least let us know what COUNTY we might have to come to. That would help a little.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I saw two boxes of ammo on the classifieds that I wanted. The seller is close to two hours away from me and would not ship. I have a friend that lives in the same town as the seller. I PMed the seller to ask if he would hold the ammo until I could contact my friend and make arrangements for pick up. I explained that it may be a little while until I could contact my friend. I was well aware that while waiting for the seller to PM me back, that it was possible that someone else may commit to buy. I was willing to take that risk. As soon as the seller PMed me back and said that that was fine, I went to the ad and hit commit to buy. As far as I'm concerned, a person that does not respect and honor the rules, cannot be trusted enough for me to deal with. Rules are rules whether we agree with them or not.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I saw two boxes of ammo on the classifieds that I wanted. The seller is close to two hours away from me and would not ship. I have a friend that lives in the same town as the seller. I PMed the seller to ask if he would hold the ammo until I could contact my friend and make arrangements for pick up. I explained that it may be a little while until I could contact my friend. I was well aware that while waiting for the seller to PM me back, that it was possible that someone else may commit to buy. I was willing to take that risk. As soon as the seller PMed me back and said that that was fine, I went to the ad and hit commit to buy. As far as I'm concerned, a person that does not respect and honor the rules, cannot be trusted enough for me to deal with. Rules are rules whether we agree with them or not.

Get ur ammo yet? ;)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Some will NOT ship ammo or guns, if someone does the CTB whats the official time someone has to pay? One cannot expect a Macy's policy on Kmart prices. Even Ebay gives it 4 days now before a unpaid item is acted on. :)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah, I had lost out when I first joined by not hitting the CTB button first. Now, in ALL my ads, I always put COMMITT TO BUY TRUMPS ALL. Seems like the best way to keep things straight as when the button is hit, it removes the ad.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I have a new one. I had two interested parties on an item I was selling in the classifieds. I met one today and he agreed to purchase the item. We were at the MSP filling out the paperwork. I signed onto MDS and committed it to him. While I was doing so, another member hit commit to buy. I even have a screenshot of the time stamp showing this happening at the same time. I don't know what to do in this situation. The paperwork is all done. My auction stated commit to buy gets priority but we hit it at the same time. I'm a fair and honest person and really don't know what to do about this.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I personally would not have met a buyer to do the paperwork while the ad was up. The buyer should have hit the button.

With that said, there is nothing you can do at this time but sell it to the first buyer because paperwork has been started. Profess your remorse to the second guy, but I would consider it sold.

Live and learn, don't make this mistake again.

ebxgsxr

Apr 3, 2011
    near BWI
    i agree. the guy that you met should have the sale b/c that was already in the process. or he should have hit the ctb right before he went to meet you @ MSP.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    cant count how many times some @sshole clicked CTB on my ads and then i cant get them to respond...

I have been on several gun boards over the years and sold a lot of stuff. AR15, 24hourcampfire, Rimfirecentral, and others. I have a 100% positive feedback on all of them. Not that I'm a big seller at any given time but when you have been on the boards over 10 years it does add up.

That said, I'm not a fan of the commit to buy button here on MDS. None of the other gun boards have a similar button. I can think of at least two situations in the last year where someone hit the commit to buy button on my ad and did not follow through. In one situation the guy was a full blown liar. Claimed he sent a money order. But then disappeared. That's how I'm pretty sure he was a liar. If he really sent me a money order he would have been all over me to ship the goods.

Mods - you want to make the commit to buy button the king then put some teeth behind it. Make it a rule that any buyer who hits commit to buy and does not follow through is banned.

Personally, I suggest that you make the commit to buy button optional at the sellers choice when he sets up the ad instead.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    douches are everywhere...I guess I don't expect a lot...if someone really wants something listed they will make an effort to get you the payment...if they commit and don't buy/pay...leave negative feedback--warn others and relist.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    douches are everywhere...I guess I don't expect a lot...if someone really wants something listed they will make an effort to get you the payment...if they commit and don't buy/pay...leave negative feedback--warn others and relist.

I understand your thinking and there was a time when I would do just that. However, based on past experience on the gun boards over the years, I'm not inclined to do this any more for a failure to follow through by a buyer. I just move on and re-list. In my experience negative feedback for a buyer who does not follow through often ends up as a time wasting pissing contest with someone who you already know is unreliable at best or a full blown a-hole at worst. A motivated a-hole can waste a lot of your time and degrade your reputation even if you are in the right.

However, if someone who was a seller took my money and did not deliver - yes negative feedback is needed.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I understand your thinking and there was a time when I would do just that. However, based on past experience on the gun boards over the years, I'm not inclined to do this any more for a failure to follow through by a buyer. I just move on and re-list. In my experience negative feedback for a buyer who does not follow through often ends up as a time wasting pissing contest with someone who you already know is unreliable at best or a full blown a-hole at worst. A motivated a-hole can waste a lot of your time and degrade your reputation even if you are in the right.

However, if someone who was a seller took my money and did not deliver - yes negative feedback is needed.

True...you can always create a thread and post your bad experience...that way others can be wary...Sometimes the ban hammer would be nice for those that fail to follow through though :D

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The "commit to buy" button may as well be removed from the classifieds... It is not worth the time it takes to click on it... Even when the seller states in the ad that it "trumps all other deals", it still doesn't mean shit.

I hit it again and again I stand empty handed while some one else gets what I committed to buy. :sad20:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The "commit to buy" button may as well be removed from the classifieds... It is not worth the time it takes to click on it... Even when the seller states in the ad that it "trumps all other deals", it still doesn't mean shit.

I hit it again and again I stand empty handed while some one else gets what I committed to buy. :sad20:

Did you report it? Squeaky wheel gets the grease...sorry to hear you got swindled so to speak.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    The problem I have is that the classified system let me commit the item to a buyer at the same time that RD hit it for himself. They both have the same timestamp. I must take a few seconds for the classified system to sync. I pm'd an admin who agreed that the buyer I met gets the firearm.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    A flaw with Commit to Buy is that life is happening in real-time outside of the forum. It takes time for a seller to finalize a sale, get onto the forum, and close out an ad. It's inevitable that a forum member will occasionally press the commit button in the interim.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The problem I have is that the classified system let me commit the item to a buyer at the same time that RD hit it for himself. They both have the same timestamp. I must take a few seconds for the classified system to sync. I pm'd an admin who agreed that the buyer I met gets the firearm.

I chose not to include the details for a reason. My complaint is with the system. It sucks that the double entry was allowed. I received a confirmation PM that the deal was MINE! Now after thinking I had what I wanted fair and square. I find I got phukt by the commit button system. The fact that a mod made the decision to choose outside of the system does not sit well. And no, I am not calling out the mod that made that choice. My deal was in writing and confirmed. I thought that would mean something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom