Does “Commit to Buy” button override a well-documented, seller buyer agreement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Maybe it's because I'm distant and will not ship arms or ammo, I've never had a serious problem. :shrug: A phone call is worth 10 messages to firm something up. Since sales were my second career and still a hobby......... buyers are often liars.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    RD, I agree with what you're saying depending on the ad. IMO, if the seller is also offering the item for sale outside of the forum, then the seller should say so in the ad. For example, I often see "no guarantee it's still available" disclaimers regarding guns for sale (usually as buy it now) on sites like GunBroker.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    A flaw with Commit to Buy is that life is happening in real-time outside of the forum. It takes time for a seller to finalize a sale, get onto the forum, and close out an ad. It's inevitable that a forum member will occasionally press the commit button in the interim.

Then the buyer that is meeting OR the seller should do the right thing hit the damn button BEFORE starting the paperwork at MSP or other Transfer Agent.

But no... With smart phones and Internet connections every place we still violate the simple courtesy and get around to it later AFTER the shit has gone wrong.

Yes I AM pissed. One other time it was because AFTER hitting the commit to buy button, I got a PM from the seller that said "sorry but I sold it elsewhere for more money." Ya think maybe since I COMMITTED TO BUY, just MAYBE the other person would use the phone and let me have an idea of what was going on? But NO! :mad54:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Then the buyer that is meeting OR the seller should do the right thing hit the damn button BEFORE starting the paperwork at MSP or other Transfer Agent.

But no... With smart phones and Internet connections every place we still violate the simple courtesy and get around to it later AFTER the shit has gone wrong.

Yes I AM pissed. One other time it was because AFTER hitting the commit to buy button, I got a PM from the seller that said "sorry but I sold it elsewhere for more money." Ya think maybe since I COMMITTED TO BUY, just MAYBE the other person would use the phone and let me have an idea of what was going on? But NO! :mad54:

Exactly why I REFUSE to learn to text..... TALK to me dammit!:)

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    RD, see my other post. The seller should specify that it's for sale outside the ad and might no longer be available, with contact info for you to quickly find out. I wouldn't close out an ad before meeting a seller and finalizing the deal, but I would immediately update the ad to say "sale pending". I've been on both sides of more than a few transactions that went sour. As a buyer because the seller misrepresented the item, often grossly so. As a seller because the buyer tried to weasel a lower price by claiming he didn't bring enough cash. There's no end of lies and excuses.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    RD, I agree with what you're saying depending on the ad. IMO, if the seller is also offering the item for sale outside of the forum, then the seller should say so in the ad. For example, I often see "no guarantee it's still available" disclaimers regarding guns for sale (usually as buy it now) on sites like GunBroker.

I have bought and sold items to many more folks than I have feed back for. This because some folks gave up trying to figure out how to enter the feed back into the system. I have never had anyone complain about any thing I sold and I have no complaints about what I committed to buy. EVEN THOUGH ... on a few deals I have found the same item elsewhere for less money... and I MADE GOOD ON MY COMMITMENT. In one case I paid $75.00 more on an item BECAUSE I hit the CTB button. My word is my bond. Without it NO deal is any good. If I hit the CTB... I follow through completely. The ONLY exception would be in a case where the seller contacted me and asked to be let out of the sale. I thanked them for having the honor to call and allow me to make that choice. And then I let the deal go.

This has ruined it for me... I looked long for this and wanted to get everything in order prior to CTB... I did not ask to meet before choosing to commit BECAUSE the item was advertised as NIB... WTF is there to look at when it is NIB? Then... I clicked that damn button and was relieve and happy that I GOT THE CONFIRMATION THAT SAID IT WAS MINE! This really bites... Merry F'n fatmaninaredsuitholiday to me. :mad54:

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You need a beer. I'm cutting loose right now to pour me a Jack and Coke.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that most people suck.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    You need a beer. I'm cutting loose right now to pour me a Jack and Coke.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that most people suck.

And those of us with honor get phukt.

Enjoy your J&C... I can't even get to sleep and when I am this pissed and disappointed... I stay away from any bottles or cans with spirits in them. Especially the dark stuff. :sad20:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have been on several gun boards over the years and sold a lot of stuff. AR15, 24hourcampfire, Rimfirecentral, and others. I have a 100% positive feedback on all of them. Not that I'm a big seller at any given time but when you have been on the boards over 10 years it does add up.

That said, I'm not a fan of the commit to buy button here on MDS. None of the other gun boards have a similar button. I can think of at least two situations in the last year where someone hit the commit to buy button on my ad and did not follow through. In one situation the guy was a full blown liar. Claimed he sent a money order. But then disappeared. That's how I'm pretty sure he was a liar. If he really sent me a money order he would have been all over me to ship the goods.

Mods - you want to make the commit to buy button the king then put some teeth behind it. Make it a rule that any buyer who hits commit to buy and does not follow through is banned.

Personally, I suggest that you make the commit to buy button optional at the sellers choice when he sets up the ad instead.

"None of the other gun boards have commit to buy". But remember the other boards you mentioned are poorly moderated troll habitats. The commit to but thing has been working here, and well for a while.

dwnthehatch

10-32
    Nov 6, 2007
    Kent Island
    I guess I have to explain how it went down.

I met the first potential buyer at MSP so he could look at the item. There is no way I will force someone to hit the commit to buy button it if they don't want it. The buyer agreed to purchase the item. We went inside to fill out the paperwork. I logged onto MDS and went to my ad and committed the item to the buyer and got the normal canned PM from Admin stating that I chose the buyer.

Once I got home, I logged back into MDS and had another canned PM from Admin that RD committed to buy. He must have hit the commit button seconds after I committed it to the buyer.

I sent RD a pm stating it was sold and immediately called him to explain the situation. I contacted the admin and provided him with the screenshot of the time stamped PMs and he agreed that the item went to the buyer I committed it to.

I in no way backed out of the deal. My ad stated hitting Commit to Buy trumps all other deals. Well, I hit the button and chose the buyer, the system was most likely refreshing when RD hit it.

I'm sorry to upset RD but there is nothing I did wrong. It's just bad timing.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I guess I have to explain how it went down.

I met the first potential buyer at MSP so he could look at the item. There is no way I will force someone to hit the commit to buy button it if they don't want it. The buyer agreed to purchase the item. We went inside to fill out the paperwork. I logged onto MDS and went to my ad and committed the item to the buyer and got the normal canned PM from Admin stating that I chose the buyer.

Once I got home, I logged back into MDS and had another canned PM from Admin that RD committed to buy. He must have hit the commit button seconds after I committed it to the buyer.

I sent RD a pm stating it was sold and immediately called him to explain the situation. I contacted the admin and provided him with the screenshot of the time stamped PMs and he agreed that the item went to the buyer I committed it to.

I in no way backed out of the deal. My ad stated hitting Commit to Buy trumps all other deals. Well, I hit the button and chose the buyer, the system was most likely refreshing when RD hit it.

I'm sorry to upset RD but there is nothing I did wrong. It's just bad timing.

No one said that YOU did anything wrong... The SYSTEM failed...

How is it that the SYSTEM allowed ME to commit to an ad? AND allowed YOU to commit the ad to a third party?

Committing on EITHER end should have closed the ad and this shit would not have happened.

I believe that of the three people involved in this ordeal... I am the only one phukt over.

You = made the sale.
    HE = got to buy what he wanted WITHOUT COMMITTING.
    I = committed and got phukt.

How is it that I could commit to buy an item that the seller had already committed to sell to another member?

How did I get THIS message AFTER the sale was committed to a third party by the Seller?

December 20th, 2013, 04:25 PM
    RoadDawg has committed to a deal with dwnthehatch
    Hello dwnthehatch and RoadDawg,

This is an automated message to let you know that RoadDawg has committed to purchase an item from dwnthehatch.

For more information, please see the ad here:

New - Ruger SR1911 CMD

It would be a good idea to discuss payment, etc.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A flaw with Commit to Buy is that life is happening in real-time outside of the forum. It takes time for a seller to finalize a sale, get onto the forum, and close out an ad. It's inevitable that a forum member will occasionally press the commit button in the interim.

^Yep

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    The commit to buy debate again.

I have a question for all buyers. If you hit CTB for an item that has been pretty well described and is say..... $350, but then you meet with the seller and the item is just not appealing to you once you see it or is not what you expected once you see it or you are just disappointed with it once you see it, are you still going to hand over the cash? No backing out or haggling at this point. After all you commited sight unseen.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    The commit to buy debate again.

I have a question for all buyers. If you hit CTB for an item that has been pretty well described and is say..... $350, but then you meet with the seller and the item is just not appealing to you once you see it or is not what you expected once you see it or you are just disappointed with it once you see it, are you still going to hand over the cash? No backing out or haggling at this point. After all you commited sight unseen.

No backing out, the deal is done. Just like ebay without going to the post office to ship the item. Hand the cash over and take your item, its SOLD.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I agree with an earlier post that CTB should be done away with. May the highest and fastest bidder win. CTB is suppose to benefit both the buyer and seller, but lets face it, it really only benefits the buyer. If someone hits CTB then the seller is suppose to consider the item sold, but there is nothing to stop the buyer from backing out once he sees the item.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I agree with an earlier post that CTB should be done away with. May the highest and fastest bidder win. CTB is suppose to benefit both the buyer and seller, but lets face it, it really only benefits the buyer. If someone hits CBT then the seller is suppose to consider the item sold, but there is nothing to stop the buyer from backing out once he sees the item.

Great point, I totally agree. Also, I would not honor a CTB if the item was not as described. And the photos of firearms in the classifieds are low resolution because it won't let you attach higher resolution pictures, so you really can't even rely on the photos to be a fair representation.

It's funny how this is supposed to be a community, but everyone wants to be a hard ass to other members over CTB.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    No backing out, the deal is done. Just like ebay without going to the post office to ship the item. Hand the cash over and take your item, its SOLD.

Ebay does have a resolution center for items not being as described. Double edged sword on that one. I recently sold some old unopened Limoges dish set when it came time to pay up she "claimed" she found them cheaper and wanted a discount. :rolleyes: Unfortunately she's still a member I think with zero feedback but I imagine Ebay wacked her c*** but that did nothing for me. I later resold it for full price again 2 weeks later.

Buyers are liars but I'm certain you too know that well.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    But that is the problem. This is not Ebay. These are generally face to face cash in hand deals. With Ebay you do not have a choice. If you want something you bid, send your funds, and then and only then you receive the item. Maybe CBT should mean that you have to send the funds to the seller ahead of time. PayPal would work great for this. That would insure no backing out. That is really my point, sellers are held to the CBT, but it is just too easy for buyers to back out after seeing the item.

You are also saying that if you CTB and then see the item and it is just a piece of crap you are going to hand over your $350....... PALEASE!

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I will never use CTB. I will contact seller and try to deal in person. If I lose the item because someone hits CTB while I am dealing, then so be it.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The other day I noticed that a seller left a prospective buyer negative feedback because the seller did not like the prospective buyer's offer of $6 a box for 5.56mm. That is pretty effed up. Not to get too far off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom