Does “Commit to Buy” button override a well-documented, seller buyer agreement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Lession learned!
    Please notice "Jr. Member" under my name.

You asked a question and we are answering :thumbsup:

No one is bashing you ................................... Yet :D

Seriously though we have all lost out on some cool stuff from our own lack of due diligence , just learn from it .

Since I’m the one who stated this thread, let me finish it -after a day’s reflection.
    If the positions were reversed and I was the seller, and an agreement / deal was completed by PMs and an unknown 3rd party then claimed first rights on the purchase because he had hit the commit to buy button first. I would explain the situation as it was =2 newbes had already made the deal, not marking the ad as a pending sale, or not pushing the commit to buy button first were beginners mistakes, apologize, and politely ask him to back off. If he still demanded or tried intimidation, I’d tell him to F off.

For me, a written agreement is as good as a FTF handshake on a deal and DOES override any straightforward mistake. So if anyone can’t deal with the concept that an agreement between two men overrides technology or “the rules”, ignore me, don’t do deals with me, or, kick me out.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Since I’m the one who stated this thread, let me finish it -after a day’s reflection.
    If the positions were reversed and I was the seller, and an agreement / deal was completed by PMs and an unknown 3rd party then claimed first rights on the purchase because he had hit the commit to buy button first. I would explain the situation as it was =2 newbes had already made the deal, not marking the ad as a pending sale, or not pushing the commit to buy button first were beginners mistakes, apologize, and politely ask him to back off. If he still demanded or tried intimidation, I’d tell him to F off.

For me, a written agreement is as good as a FTF handshake on a deal and DOES override any straightforward mistake. So if anyone can’t deal with the concept that an agreement between two men overrides technology or “the rules”, ignore me, don’t do deals with me, or, kick me out.

So, by your opinion ... you write your own rules, regardless

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

There are rules to being a member here and using the services provided by the forum . YOU agreed to them when YOU decided YOU wanted to be a MEMBER .

Enjoy your stay while it lasts . If this is going to be your attitude you probably won't be around long :sad20:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    While we're on Commit to Buy, I want to see what everyone thinks about this:

I there ever a valid reason to NOT follow through with a Commit to Buy? The only reasons I can think of is that the item was incorrectly specified or something (condition maybe) was grossly overstated. No, never had any problem with this, but have wondered....especially since I initiated a FTF purchase without a Commit one time.

I once went to see an item as I wanted to be sure it was exactly what I wanted, in the condition I was expecting, and I ended up buying it on the spot! Maybe I unknowingly violated something here and if so, I rather be corrected by the users of the forum than dressed down or having action taken by the moderators. FWIW, I came home and then clicked 'Commit' and the deal was done...no problem arose. (And no, I don't have a smart phone to do so right then and there....I have what I refer to a dumb-azz phone, lol). However, after reading this thread, I'm not sure what the proper way to handle things should be. I thought I had already asked this question on this thread, but I don't see it here, so I am reposting as I don't know if I just failed to click 'submit'. However, since I don't see it, I am reposting these questions.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    There are rules to being a member here and using the services provided by the forum . YOU agreed to them when YOU decided YOU wanted to be a MEMBER . Enjoy your stay while it lasts . If this is going to be your attitude you probably won't be around long :sad20:

The truth is strong here ^^^^.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I look at "commit to buy" as a done deal, like using "buy it now" on gunbroker. Since these deals are done over the internet there has to be a way to be fair. Since the seller and potential buyers aren't looking at each other no one knows what deals are being worked on. The first person to offer the asking price wins and hitting CTB is the only way to let everyone else know the item was sold. If you negotiate a lower price and come to an agreement the CTB should be hit as a courtesy to other potential buyers.
    If a seller is actively negotiating with someone he should be able to put that message in the ad. With all that being said, once a seller makes a agreement with a buyer they should follow through with it.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    When I sell something and pm's are sent I tell the buyer to "commit to buy" if we have reached a deal. If buyer does not ask me to delete the ad or they do not CTB and somebody else does CTB they get it.
    Commit to buy trumps pm's.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena

I would agree with you to a point. If the final "ok" in the agreement is sent there must be some "slop" time allowed before the ad is removed. Theoretically it can't instantaneously be removed - there will always be some (at least seconds) where someone else could "commit to buy". And with all aspects of a legal contract reached through private messages the first contract would then trump the "commit to buy" IMHO.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I don't disagree with the CTB trump... but i will say there is something to be said for a man's word without the need to be held to the fire by the CTB. What I'm saying is doing the right thing isn't based on formalities IMO.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have been on both sides of this. Meaning I hit CTB but the seller sold it to someone else. I did not like it but that is the was. I have also been in your position and it was not great either.
    But the rules are the rules.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

I bet we can arrange that.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    I would agree with you to a point. If the final "ok" in the agreement is sent there must be some "slop" time allowed before the ad is removed. Theoretically it can't instantaneously be removed - there will always be some (at least seconds) where someone else could "commit to buy". And with all aspects of a legal contract reached through private messages the first contract would then trump the "commit to buy" IMHO.

I don't disagree with the CTB trump... but i will say there is something to be said for a man's word without the need to be held to the fire by the CTB. What I'm saying is doing the right thing isn't based on formalities IMO.

I've never bought anything on this site but I agree with these two posts. I understand the rules say CTB is God, but I personally would not honor a CTB if I had already agreed on selling it to someone else who maybe had not hit the CTB because he had a question before he wanted to commit or wanted to negotiate something. Now if the negotiations are not finished when somebody hits a CTB then obviously the CTB is the winner.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    If you already had a deal agreed upon, then the item was already sold.

Same thing if someone hit commit to buy and you had already sold it through another site. Sorry, its gone.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    a deal is a deal a button on the inter web don't mean shite. CTB cant be enforced if the buyer backs out so it is nice but meaningless.
    I would honor the discussed deal.
    The button just shows someone else's stated intent

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    So basically we can never actually contact a seller to inquire about an item and negotiate a price or make an offer because while we are negotiating someone can hit CTB and we are out of luck even if we have reached a deal.

If I have an item for sale and you contact me and we agree to a deal, it is yours, no matter what else happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom