• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    EDIT: Further updated information is contained in post numbers 31, 64, 72, and 78.

OK MDS'ers, I have inquired with Carroll County Gun Club for the New Year's Day (Thursday January 1st, 2015) trap chootin' "fun day" and yes, they are more than happy to have us MDS'ers with them that day for some fun trap chootin'. Some of us MDS'ers, myself included, have been shootin' trap there since this past September and they've welcomed us with open arms. It is recommended that we be there about 11:00 AM as the sign-in stops at noon. We will be shootin' 100 birds (four rounds of trap) and havin' a good time with each others company too. The cost is $4.00 per 25 birds (one round of trap) for a total of $16.00. There may be a possibility that we could shoot more than four rounds of trap, though I'm not sure of this, but if so, each additional round of trap will be an additional $4.00. Bring a twenty dollar bill and 125 shotshells with you and you'll be covered for five rounds of trap. You won't need to shoot 4 rounds of trap if you don't want to, so if you only wanna' shoot one or two rounds of trap, that's fine. BEAR IN MIND, THIS IS ALL CASH ONLY!!! All other forms of payment will be denied.

CCGC requirements are eye and ear protection when on the line, actions open and empty other than when on the line shooting, and the basic NRA safety guidelines. Shotgun and ammo requirements: No larger than 12 gauge, no larger than #7 1/2 shot, no longer than 2 3/4" shells, no more than 1 1/8 ounces of shot, and maximum of 3 drams equivalence of charge. The barrel(s) length must be at least 24" and must have a shoulder buttstock and if your buttstock has a protruding pistol grip, it will be OK. You don't need a fancy-dancy snob-nosed hi-grade competition shotgun (like Fabs, Augie, and I :lol2:) to join in the fun, all you need is your ol' gran'dad's pop-top in nice shootin condition to join in though I'd recommend something a li'l nicer. Hey, there was a person there shooting an ol' bolt action shottie wiff'a 'justable polychoke a few weeks ago an' it got the job done.:thumbsup:

Bear in mind this trap shoot is in winter (Jan 1st) and it could be quite cold so prepare and dress accordingly. There is a nice clubhouse with snacks and drinks at reasonable cost to get outta'da' cold and warm up if one feels the need. If the weather turns out to be raining, icing, and/or snowing, or alotta' wind that day (Jan 1st), I will cancel this shoot as this will be determined by me on New Year's Eve (Dec 31st) hopefully no later than 1:00 PM, but I REALLY HOPE the weather factor will be nice for us on January 1st. Weather update as of 12/28: Highs in the upper 30's, sunny 'n clear with almost no wind at all.

With the weather hopefully cooperating with us January 1st, come on out and have a good time chootin' trap at Carroll County Gun Club with a bunch of other MDS members. Now this gives ya' a good reason to not drink too much on New Year's Eve. I'm gonna' have two glasses of Talmage Cellars MDS logo'd Cabernet. :-)

Those that are in on this, chime in with "IN" and if you're bringin' another chooter, chime in with "IN + 1". Those that are interested but not completely sure, chime in with "INTERESTED" and when you make the decision of yes or no, post accordingly. This way I'll have an idea as to how many chooters we'll have and what to expect. As things progress towards January 1st, I may be updating this original post on an "as needed" basis.

So y'alls, let's have some fun 'n choot some trap on New Year's Day, a REALLY NICE WAY TO BREAK IN THE NEW YEAR!!!:D

EDIT: Further updated information will be found in post numbers 31, 64, 72, and 78.

Carroll County Gun Club's website is: www.carrollgun.com
    This will give directions, map, rules, and any other necessary information.

Last edited:

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I've never shot trap before but I'll be happy to provide the day's entertainment provided I can borrow a shottie (Mr. H or ?). I haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

The GF is willing to provide additional laughs so that makes IN +1 if we can borrow a gun.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Sounds like a goood time but everything is stacked against me. No shotty with long enough barrel, it'll be cold outside, and I have to work.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'll be there but I'm shooting in the 100 bird handicap event they are having the same day. I will try to shoot a round with you if I get done early enough. The club should be pretty crowded that day,the handicap event usually draws 100 or more shooters.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm in! And may have a +1. Lou please post the address, this is going to be a long drive so I will need to plan accordingly.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Interested.

I'm a skeet guy, was raised on it. I hate trap. I suck at trap. Last time I was there, closing the action on my 1100 sent a bird flying with the speaker thingys they were using. I also don't know the "timing etiquette" so most of the time the regulars got pissed at me for screwing up their "rythm". Think I sold my trap barrel after that because I was so disgusted with all of it.

That said...I think it'd still be fun to hang out and do some "goof off" shooting if that is what is in store. I'm not interested in any official competition or 100 bird handicap type of deal.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Interested.

I'm a skeet guy, was raised on it. I hate trap. I suck at trap. Last time I was there, closing the action on my 1100 sent a bird flying with the speaker thingys they were using. I also don't know the "timing etiquette" so most of the time the regulars got pissed at me for screwing up their "rythm". Think I sold my trap barrel after that because I was so disgusted with all of it.

That said...I think it'd still be fun to hang out and do some "goof off" shooting if that is what is in store. I'm not interested in any official competition or 100 bird handicap type of deal.

We'll be chootin' fo' fun, not any competition other than amongst one self and possibly a few of us amongst each other.

I'll post the address shortly, after I check and see what it is.

Carroll County Gun Club's website is: www.carrollgun.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom