• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'm not thin skinned at all. Hell I'm not even sure I'm sold on the idea yet as I have no first hand experience. I do have a good bit of research as well as some reputable first hand experience that's convinced me to atleast get this far. For the record my deer gun is a .308. I loaded these for my father who asked if the Ar I built for him could be loaded to legally hunt deer. Since that initial request I have made the ammo and decided I'd also give it a try. My whole reason for making this post was to spark a good debate.

Well you succeeded. :thumbsup: ;)

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    How come noone has even mentioned or tried to dispute Shrpshtrjoe's first hand experience? Just because a bullet starts out at .22 diameter does not mean that it does not create a much larger wound channel after initial expansion. A Barnes TSX 70 grain bullet has the design to open up on impact and create a larger wound channel on a deer than a bullet of higher caliber but lesser design. I've seen deer shot with these bullets that had larger exit wounds then deer shot with a .270 Core Lokt.

Here's a few pics of the 62 grain TSX wounds. First two pics 120 pound doe 50 yard shot entrance and exit. Second two pics 140 pound buck 60 yards entrance and exit. A picture is worth 100 words :D
    Entrance
    100_0358.jpg

Exit
    100_0357.jpg

Entrance
    100_0381.jpg

Exit broke shoulder on way out
    100_0382.jpg

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    shrpshtrjoe- whatre your load and firearm stats?

Great shot placement, btw.

My buddy took a buck this year with his .223 AR-15. We had to to track the poor beast 20 long yards before it finally expired seconds later... :rolleyes:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

My buddy took a buck this year with his .223 AR-15. We had to to track the poor beast 20 long yards before it finally expired seconds later... :rolleyes:

What load was your buddy shooting? Thanks for the first hand info!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    lol, its cool, I was being sarcastic..... I use Prvi Partisan 196 grain SPBT and they work great..... no API for deer hunting, only squirrels, love to watch em light up!

That sounds like a good time.....

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    AR's serve no sporting purpose

Who needs anti gunners were getting shot in the back from fellow gun owners:tdown: Thats a real nice statement, Thanks for the support :sad20:

Thanks. Rifle is a Colt Tactical Carbine. Load was 25 grains of Varget pushin the 62 grain TSX. Its amazing the damage that bullet is doing. Exit wounds on all deer but the damage is like it a grenade went off in side.

.30 cal minimum for deer. I'm sure smaller rounds will work, but when I hunt I want the round to do the work, not me (i.e. tracking to kingdom come.) I actually prefer 12ga slugs anyway, good out to 100yds+ with my 870. Like to see them just drop.

If the DNR saw this they would probably want to fine you for not wearing Hunter Orange. Then you have to tell the judge... it was a photo after we were done hunting.

Some people do just that. It is an incredibly difficult shot to place if thier not exactly straight on or 90 degrees to you at any range. Add in some "buck fever" and it gets to be even worse. Some make neck shots, and swear by them too. It is a little more forgiving shot then the headshot and will drop them where they stand, I've seen it. The "standard" chest shot offers a far larger target then either and is almost always lethal. Another reason for not taking headshots would be for the pics after..lol :D

Totally agree. this is the way I was taught. Put it in the chest and you've got your deer. Miss with a head shot and you sentenced the thing to a long and agonizing death from injury or infection and you have nothing to show for it also. Knew a schmuck one time that blew a very nice rack right off a bucks head because "he only ever took head shots." Never invited the a-hole to come with us again.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    .22 L.R. kills deer dead when shot in the head. Its all about shot placement.

People who get hung up on caliber need to get a more accurate rifle, and put the shots in the right place, or get better training.

I see people complain when they hear about people using AR's to hunt but they have no problem using Blackpowder, Handguns, Crossbows, or Bows. All of these platforms have less range, dont usually have as much hitting power as a Rifle, and are generally less accurate at all ranges.

If its really about taking game "perfectly" every time with the most "efficient" weapon, then Bows, Crossbows, Muzzleloaders, and Handguns would be out. Right? And, if they tested Hunters skills to hit game efficiently beofre allowing them to hunt each season then a HUGE majority of Hunters wouldnt pass the test.

Hunting is a personal choice, and it really gets under my skin when Hunters give others a hard time about caliber choice. If they are following hunting regs the people should mind their own business. I expect to hear crap from non hunters.

shrpshtrjoe

Aug 10, 2009
    Cecil Co
    .22 L.R. kills deer dead when shot in the head. Its all about shot placement.

People who get hung up on caliber need to get a more accurate rifle, and put the shots in the right place, or get better training.

I see people complain when they hear about people using AR's to hunt but they have no problem using Blackpowder, Handguns, Crossbows, or Bows. All of these platforms have less range, dont usually have as much hitting power as a Rifle, and are generally less accurate at all ranges.

If its really about taking game "perfectly" every time with the most "efficient" weapon, then Bows, Crossbows, Muzzleloaders, and Handguns would be out. Right? And, if they tested Hunters skills to hit game efficiently beofre allowing them to hunt each season then a HUGE majority of Hunters wouldnt pass the test.

Hunting is a personal choice, and it really gets under my skin when Hunters give others a hard time about caliber choice. If they are following hunting regs the people should mind their own business. I expect to hear crap from non hunters.

Great Post :thumbsup:

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    btw do you guys go off factory load data to calculate ME or is there a way to test it that isn't real complicated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom