• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    This brings up a good question on my part.

Going hunting with my EBR 6.8. These are the bullets:
    110 GRAINS ACCU BOND
    Nosler ACCU BOND BONDED PROJECTILE, Designed to meet optimum performance for FBI use.2630 FPS commercial, 2550 FPS tactical from 16" BBL, 1-10 twist

or

85 GRAINS BARNES
    BARNES LEAD-FREE TSX, BEST GLASS AND DOOR PENETRATION, 3030FPS 100YD/1.1" 200YD/0.0" 300YD/-8.2" 16" BBL, 1-10 twist, 2850 FPS 10" BBL
    3000FPS 16" BBL - excellent terminal performance!
    These are the heavier types:
    110 GRAINS BARNES
    BARNES Lead-Free TSX, BEST GLASS AND DOOR PENETRATION, 2650FPS 100YD/1.1" 200YD/0.0" 300YD/-8.2" 16" BBL, 1-10 twist

Now the 6.8 is a standard .277 bullet just placed on smaller brass. Seems that it meets specs, would I have any issues with game wardens just because they see me hunting with an EBR?

You should be fine as long as the mag is not fully loaded. 7 or 8 rounds is this limit, no mag block necessary. I load 5 to be safe. I use my DPMS AR 10 to hunt deer and have yet to be questioned about it and why im using it. Sure it might draw a little bit more attention, but your not breaking the law, and you have the right to use an EBR for hunting as long as it produces over 1200 ft/lbs energy at the muzzle.:thumbsup:

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    I'm dyin' to take the Beowulf deer hunting. 350gr. bullet at 1900fps. That's some energy. :D

This is the month, there is another short firearms season, you are more than welcome to come drop some sika and whitetails on my 675 acre property in Vienna, Dorchester County............ I really wanna see this beast, and shoot it too

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I'm dyin' to take the Beowulf deer hunting. 350gr. bullet at 1900fps. That's some energy. :D

I would love to go hunting also. Guess, I'll wait till next season. Never been hunting and dont know anyone around moco that does.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    haven't you guys heard? the beowulf is a girl's gun...
    graf_palin-gun.jpg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I'll stand by what I said, and as far as what's been stated these bullets are perfectly legal for hunting in MD and develope way over the legal limit of energy. Whoever is quoting 55gr. ammo needs to reread my post.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I'll stand by what I said, and as far as what's been stated these bullets are perfectly legal for hunting in MD and develope way over the legal limit of energy. Whoever is quoting 55gr. ammo needs to reread my post.

You're right and Im pretty sure he's wrong. I can prove that 55 grainers can put out over 1200 ft/lbs, but like your OP states...this is about 70 grainers. I did the math for 70s in my ballistics app and come up with them putting out closer to 1300ft/lbs, but almost half that at 300 which is by far over the legal minimum.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The problem at tha range with this round is reliable expansion. From the testing I've seen these bullets are designed and proven to reliably penetrate and expand at that range. While I've never even taken a shot at a deer that far out I'm confident they would work. I'd honestly limit myself to about 200 yrds. anyway. They should put out atleast 1300 lb. at the muzzle as fast as I was pushing them. Ended up a little hotter than the load I published.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    The problem at tha range with this round is reliable expansion. From the testing I've seen these bullets are designed and proven to reliably penetrate and expand at that range. While I've never even taken a shot at a deer that far out I'm confident they would work. I'd honestly limit myself to about 200 yrds. anyway.

All I keep thinking to myself is, damn thats a great round/rifle for sika:party29:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    All I keep thinking to myself is, damn thats a great round/rifle for sika:party29:

Those suckers don't bleed much. I always tend to go heavier on them and try to eliminate any chance of tracking through the swamp. No doubt it would work though.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The worst bullet performanc eI ever experienced was with a 30/06 160 gr(core LokT). I shot a 120# 8 pointer through both lungs at about 60 yards. The bullet failed to expand. The entry and exit wounds were very minimal as was blood loss. The deer rand 600 yards through streams and up a hillside before bedding down and suffocating. The shot was exactly where I was aiming the bullet just failed to do its job. It's not always about caliber or muzzle energy. Bullet performance plays a huge role here also.

Terrell

Jan 3, 2010
    This is my first in doing this, try this for deer Barnes 62 grain tsx bt, 25 grains of Varget, COAL 2.250, primer CCI 400 10 times better than 55 grain

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    This is my first in doing this, try this for deer Barnes 62 grain tsx bt, 25 grains of Varget, COAL 2.250, primer CCI 400 10 times better than 55 grain

Did you even read my post? Oh and Welcome to MDS. Click on the first page and you'll see what I'm loading.

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Range report. Fired 4, 3 shot groups today at 100 yards. Three were just under 1 MOA and one was just a bit over. I shot them threw my 24" Superior Barreld Wylde chamber Ar with a 1/8" twist. POI was about 1 1/2" lower than the 55gr. FMJ's. Now I need to Chrony it and plug the numbers into a ballistics calculator and see what I'm working with. Right now I'm good out to 300 on deer I think.

Make sure if you shoot at deer at 300 yards you practice at 300 yards..a one hole group at 100 yards does not give you any info on she shoots at 300 yards. I hear all the time people say, they group well at 100 yards and never shoot further past that but assume they can shoot live animals at three times that distance buy just looking at some chart or using a BDC reticle. I always say if you group 1 inch on the bench, in the field you might be lucky to keep the shot in a 3 inch circle..so multiply that for for 300 yards and often it not good enough for a clean kill. 3 inch group at 300 yards at the bench, 9 inch group in the field..no good.

Posted this in hopes you know this, but if not reconsider for sure ;)

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Why would one want to hunt with a .223 anyway, i thought the bullet was not made for hunting but for a fast shooting bullet that spins/tumbles on impact.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Why would one want to hunt with a .223 anyway, i thought the bullet was not made for hunting but for a fast shooting bullet that spins/tumbles on impact.

The bullets I loaded in the .223 are indeed designed for hunting deer sized game. Why anyone would hunt with any cartridge is personal choice. Some have different ideas than others on what makes a good deer killer. I know a good many people who use 22-250's for crop damage permits and those do not shoot bullets designed to kill deer. It's all about knowing your weapon and it's capabilities. As for 300 yards, I fully field test any load that I hunt with at every range I intend to shoot. I've already tested this load at 200 and it's actually under 1 moa at 200. I may or may not decide to push it to 300 but if I don't, I don't intend on shooting at deer at that range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom