• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    The key is to carry the gun in a proper holster. That holster should retain the gun and securely cover the trigger guard.

I will add that anyone that carries should practice/train as they would fight. If you are not comfortable with a loaded chamber then you need to be very proficient with racking the slide during the draw.

So, if I have a UTAH permit can I legally carry with a chambered round? The course I took said no, but reading up what I can find it is ambiguous....

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    So, if you just don't feel like having it on your hip that day, don't put it in your back pack or something? Just leave it home instead?
    Yeah, I'll disagree with that.

Yeah, I don't carry a backpack or something. Basically, if I don't feel that the threat level is high enough to have a round chambered, I have no need to be carrying.

SgtKope

Nov 7, 2009
    Crofton, MD
    dont get me started on that hypocrisy lol...its ok for SF to carry on base for their job but another active duty military person or even the SF themselves cant concealed carry at all on base..:sad20:

I am going to play devil's advocate for just a sec...
    There are definitely people that should not be allowed to carry on base, I am not saying everyone shouldn't be allowed. Next time you have to qual at the range though, look to your right and left and ask yourself if you want these people to carry on base. I have seen some people that are just plain scary with guns on base.
    I remember an incident while deployed that a girl had a ND in the hospital with her M4 and she was not authorized to carry in red status. So even though people are req to be in amber (mag inserted, no round in chamber) NDs still happen, Luckily there was no one hurt. Also, there are certain people who are allowed to carry concealed on base...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Yeah, I don't carry a backpack or something. Basically, if I don't feel that the threat level is high enough to have a round chambered, I have no need to be carrying.

Mooseman no disrespect intended but I want your crystal ball. I have no idea when a wack job will jump out of the wood work and put my life in danger. Accordingly I carry any and everywhere I possibly can. Chamber always loaded.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Mooseman no disrespect intended but I want your crystal ball. I have no idea when a wack job will jump out of the wood work and put my life in danger. Accordingly I carry any and everywhere I possibly can. Chamber always loaded.

That is my point exactly. One in the chamber. If you don't have the need for one in the chamber, why carry?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    That is my point exactly. One in the chamber. If you don't have the need for one in the chamber, why carry?

I think you missed my point. I want your crystal ball as in being able to tell what situation is so safe that no bad guy could enter into the equation and wreak havoc on my life. The odds may be against it but that doesn't mean it cannot happen. I don't leave home unarmed unless I am legally required not to be (as in a rare trip to DC).

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    The key is to carry the gun in a proper holster. That holster should retain the gun and securely cover the trigger guard.

I will add that anyone that carries should practice/train as they would fight. If you are not comfortable with a loaded chamber then you need to be very proficient with racking the slide during the draw.

:thumbsup:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I think you missed my point. I want your crystal ball as in being able to tell what situation is so safe that no bad guy could enter into the equation and wreak havoc on my life. The odds may be against it but that doesn't mean it cannot happen. I don't leave home unarmed unless I am legally required not to be (as in a rare trip to DC).

You are missing my point. I have no crystal ball. I carry when I can. I only carry with one in the pipe. The rest of my statement is for those that carry with an empty chamber. If you feel safe enough to carry unchambered, why carry at all?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You are missing my point. I have no crystal ball. I carry when I can. I only carry with one in the pipe. The rest of my statement is for those that carry with an empty chamber. If you feel safe enough to carry unchambered, why carry at all?

:thumbsup: Gotcha. My bad. AGREED 100%

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    M&P9C, XDS .45acp or Ruger LCP. All chambered and ready for the fight. If I am not carrying in the home they are in a gun vault ready to go..... to not chamber and need the weapon, taking that last few secs to chamber and acquire target is just a disaster waiting to happen to you.

Its like I have a twin.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With a revolver, some leave the first chamber to strike, empty. Just simply another quick trigger pull alleviates that. But a revolver would be the least pistol I'd worry about "snagging" the trigger to fire. Just like a DAO pistol.

I have to leave the hole under the hammer empty in CAS because there is no transfer bar on my revolvers. A good smack to the hammer with fire the round. However, I don't need to worry about that with my GP-100, or my Blackhawk, or (when I had it) my 610. Most of the older revolvers (pre-transfer bar) were carried like this. Even my pre-Model 10 I wouldn't carry with a live round under the hammer.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    So, if I have a UTAH permit can I legally carry with a chambered round? The course I took said no, but reading up what I can find it is ambiguous....

Yes, but only in States that accept the Utah permit.

You were either taught wrong or more than likely that if you do not have a permit that open carry is allowed and the gun must be statutorily unloaded. This means that you can have a loaded magazine but the chamber must be empty and that activating the mechanism once wohld not fire the gun.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I am going to play devil's advocate for just a sec...
    There are definitely people that should not be allowed to carry on base, I am not saying everyone shouldn't be allowed. Next time you have to qual at the range though, look to your right and left and ask yourself if you want these people to carry on base. I have seen some people that are just plain scary with guns on base.
    I remember an incident while deployed that a girl had a ND in the hospital with her M4 and she was not authorized to carry in red status. So even though people are req to be in amber (mag inserted, no round in chamber) NDs still happen, Luckily there was no one hurt. Also, there are certain people who are allowed to carry concealed on base...

Well those are the same people that shouldnt own firearms period. Ive known a few of those. One guy kept bugging me to take him to the range...and I thought for sure I was going to get shot..but alas I didnt...He still had me nervous at the range though.

People qualifying for deployment is a different and sometimes scary story.

I know OSI/SS etc concealed carry...Im talking about the restriction on the average military active or retired not being able to carry at all on base. Its like they dont trust the military members to concealed carry on base yet the trust them to fix multi-million dollar aircraft that in some cases can fly the President of the United States:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom