Moving to MD from Texas - can I bring my guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You can make History too...

"Yes" I was Stationed at Fort Detrick 4th LAR Bn Bco for 4 years and did Toys for Tots in the Tri-State area WV, VA & MD, lived in 5 different States and a Foreign Country been around the world "Twice", have family that live in Rockville, Hagerstown, Mt Airy, Cumberland, Bethesda, Boonsboro and some work in MoCo, SO I HAVE SEEN allot of things from Horrible to Rewarding. It may not be a perfect world and it seems to me what you would like it to be...in MoCo. People make choices based on what is good for themselves and there family if needed. Sounds to me if it is that bad for you "Bob A" head for the border...

"Choice" is a good thing...that's my 2cents....

Thanks for your service.

So you know what it's like, when you have family somewhere. Not so easy to bail out. But the whole thing for me has been like sitting in a pot of water while they turn up the heat, ever so gradually. Before you know it, you're cooked.

I'm not yet ready to say "stick a fork in me, I'm done", but the day may come.

Big Dog

Dec 16, 2012
    North East
    I agree with those who say to locate in PA near Cecil County and drive in or take the train. It is not much of a drive compared to the hassle of being a gun owner, not to mention the taxes, cost of living, and political climate.

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    Welcome Zoom42!!! Okay, I'm trying to be positive (pls don't flame me guys; I pretty much agree with all said).

Welcome to a great forum and beautiful state. Wife and I went to Baylor and worked a couple years in Dallas area before returning to DC.

The one positive to the 2A mess in MD is it woke me up to the prospect that yes our gov't can take away rights if we let them. That alone spurred me to buy and get trained on a G19 for the sole purpose of exercising my right. Rights not exercised can and will be lost.

But we have to take courage and remember the impetus for the Bill of Rights. That is to ensure that assumed basic rights be enumerated and enshrined so there there is no confusion that these are rights not granted by the central govt but rather rights to be protected for us by the gov't. Dont despair or give in. I believe if we dont give up we will eventually prevail under the law and be (cue patriotic music) a beacon to other states that might be wavering under the pressure from anti-guns.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Find a door with steel jamb and a nice 2" thick solid maple door, place your testicles upon said jamb and slam said door 4 or 5 times. That feels pleasant compared to living in this progressive hellhole.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    IMO forget all the nay sayers who still live in MD. Only you know what is best for you financially, family wise etc. Yes, it will be an adjustment, I have cousins in DFW, but hopefully it is a good career move.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    In the next couple of months I'll be moving to MD from TX. I know new legislation has recently passed regarding AR platform guns. If I move into the state can I bring my two AR15s (both registered SBRs) and one has a can, are NFA items ok to possess in MD? Any restrictions on bringing handguns?

Thanks for the help!

Both AR's are SBR's (can also). So you have to notify ATF of the move. That takes what, six months. ATF has been refusing form one and fours right now because of Maryland new law. Find a FFL or family member that will store (safe) the NFA stuff in TX till the paperwork is approved. Also, you can't have a can in DE (if you move there). VA is close enough to work at BWI so is PA.

Good luck!

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Both AR's are SBR's (can also). So you have to notify ATF of the move. That takes what, six months. ATF has been refusing form one and fours right now because of Maryland new law. Find a FFL or family member that will store (safe) the NFA stuff in TX till the paperwork is approved. Also, you can't have a can in DE (if you move there). VA is close enough to work at BWI so is PA.

Good luck!

I hate when someone references vaguely and doesn't provide enough information as in the "ATF Notification" quote. Because I believe the people that join this Forum are looking for good reliable answers and may not know all the rules. That's why I am here...

"Bob A" Thank you. But I believe this cynicism hurts, granted I might not have been in one place long enough to feel that anxiety, but now that I will be here permenantly I will contribute the best I can.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ATF Form 5320.20 is required for moving a NFA item to a new state of residence ( among other purposes ) . While it shouldn't take as long as a Form 1 or 4 , but will face the similar issue of *weather the Item is legal under state law* . . The Md statute is clear as mud. So on any givin day , a specific ATF staffer will inquire of a specific Trooper , and receive a random answer , seeminging made up on the spot , different from the answer on the previous day , or the next day.

Hopefully the stars will line up for the OP , but have a Plan B to deal with your SBR's .

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I'm in the DFW area. I love living in Texas (except for the hot summers) buy I have a great job opportunity which unfortunately might be worth trading some freedom for a couple of years...

I won't try to advise you either way on your move. But I moved here in 2012 for a great job opportunity. I moved from Washington. In WA, I made about half what I make here in MD. But I spend a lot more on taxes, tolls, etc. and it feels like I actually make less.

On an unrelated note-since you're moving here, I assume you'll be buying a house? Let me tell you about a fine split level with lot's of updates in Silver Spring. Convenient to BWI, DC, Baltimore and many other places. 3 bdrm/3bthrm, basement, new windows, new privacy fence...quiet neighborhood, etc.
    It'll be on the market next summer.

Bert762

Jun 29, 2014
    Question, Maryland is not my state of residence. But I do work here Monday through Friday flying home on weekends. I have a condo here. Can I still have my semi auto pistol, and do have to register it with the state. I do not pay income tax here, my permanent resident is Illinois. During the week I like to get in target practice and beats the hell out of the bar scene. All pistols would have been purchased prior to October 2013. I just can't seem to get a clear answer.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unless you intend to establish residency here, you do not have to register. Just adhere to the MD transport statute while here.. 4-203

IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom