Moving to MD from Texas - can I bring my guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    In the next couple of months I'll be moving to MD from TX. I know new legislation has recently passed regarding AR platform guns. If I move into the state can I bring my two AR15s (both registered SBRs) and one has a can, are NFA items ok to possess in MD? Any restrictions on bringing handguns?

Thanks for the help!

I am hoping to do the opposite, and move to TX from MD.

Where are you coming from in TX and what's it like?

Rob.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    In the next couple of months I'll be moving to MD from TX. I know new legislation has recently passed regarding AR platform guns. If I move into the state can I bring my two AR15s (both registered SBRs) and one has a can, are NFA items ok to possess in MD? Any restrictions on bringing handguns?

Thanks for the help!

You will be good for the can but bringing in SBR AR15s could be a can of worms. The MSP has recently gotten very squirrely when approving/disapproving Form 1s for new builds. They may deem your rifles as completely banned if they are under 29" OAL.

IANAL and am also a newbie to stamp collecting. You may want to get a better opinion in the NFA folder here at MDS.

Do yourself a favor and stay the hell out of Maryland. The drive from PA to BWI is a long one but you could keep your toys.

Zoom42

Jun 25, 2014
    I am hoping to do the opposite, and move to TX from MD.

Where are you coming from in TX and what's it like?

Rob.

I'm in the DFW area. I love living in Texas (except for the hot summers) buy I have a great job opportunity which unfortunately might be worth trading some freedom for a couple of years...

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Everyone is doing the right thing trying to steer you away from this god awful state. To answer your question directly, this is not legal advice. Do your own research, as you will find many here do not like to advise others regarding the legalities of the very wishy washy hard to understand gun laws. My personal understanding and interpretation is that as of October the first 2013 - if the AR-15's are not HBARs (heavy barrel profile) and you did not buy them in Maryland prior to the law, you can't bring them here legally.

Best advice and I would interpret this poorly crafted law the same way...

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Umm.. You do realize that a large chunk of that "good money" you'll make here will go to the state.. Yes? Rain tax, fuel tax, property tax, income tax,sales tax.. Much larger rates then most other states.. You're losing more then your gun rights by moving to Md.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Umm.. You do realize that a large chunk of that "good money" you'll make here will go to the state.. Yes? Rain tax, fuel tax, property tax, income tax,sales tax.. Much larger rates then most other states.. You're losing more then your gun rights by moving to Md.

You forgot that aside from taxes, overall cost of living will likely be much higher here as well, especially housing.

My god I need to move. I can't wait for my son to get out of school (2 years) ...

Rob

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Unless you have PCS orders to MD, consider living in DE, VA, or WV and commuting.
    This. If there is ANY way you can manage to find a place across the state line in PA, VA or WV, do it. Trust us on this one - you don't want to move to Maryland, and especially not from Texas.

I'm going to leave this ******** as soon as I'm able, which is in about 5 years when my wife is eligible to retire from the MD state public school system.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    If you're working at BWI consider Delaware. It's better than here and the added expense of the commute will more than be made up for in savings in other places.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Unfortunately work will be near BWI airport so it would be a pretty inconvenient drive from any of the neighboring states.

Virginia is not far at all and well worth it.

If it's not that important to you, come and see what Maryland has in store for you. If you already have NFA items then you are already pretty serious about your guns. Don't forget to ask the Feds for permission to transport your SBRs well before your move - it could be a major fly in the ointment.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    If you're working at BWI consider Delaware. It's better than here and the added expense of the commute will more than be made up for in savings in other places.

No NFA items (suppressors at least) in DE and that is Joe Bidenland. Not much better than Marylandistan.

Yellowhand

Jan 19, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Whatever bonus in pay you think you are getting isn't worth your while here...the extra income you think you'll make will be taken in taxes and you can count on throwing another 30% into the state pot...you, my friend, are in for a rude awakening and will be burning rubber back to Texas if you're smart and financially able. Marylandistan is like a great, black hole...once in it's gravity well there is almost no means of escape. You've been warned...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Someone said as a gun owner you'd be treated as a minority. No one gets treated better in MD than minorities, especially if you're here illegally.

As a gun owner, you'll be treated like a serf.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Look in PA up by Cecil County Md / DE line you can take a train down to BWI , Have the best of both worlds

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom