Moving to MD from Texas - can I bring my guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Move to Northern Virginia. I wish I could have pulled that off... I paid more taxes for 4 months in Md than I did for 8 in Va. The roads here are in disrepair. The crime is higher. I get put on hold when I call 911. I feel like the members of this forum make up the majority of the people who pay taxes here.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    :lol2: this post was entertaining. If you move here, I wish you the best. Unless you are going to make significantly more here than you do in TX, the members who warned you about the cost of living here should be heeded. Do yourself a favor and price everything before accepting the new position. Of all the expenses, the housing cost here is incredible. Personally, we are move back south as soon as we are able, partially because it is just way too expensive.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome. But we're not joking or pulling your leg.

The best case scenario involves you needing proof that you owned your cosmetically evil rifles before 10/01/13 . As to your SBR's , the MSP makes up crap about what is and isn't legal on literally a daily basis.

If you plan on housing at all comparable to what you had in Tx , it will cost at least 50% more. You will go from on state income tax to one of the highest. There are people in real America with lower mortages than our property taxes alone.

Not sure your average commute times in DFX , but in Md 1hr each way.( Least ways to any of the comparitivally desireable areas of Md ) Even from BWI area , it only takes an extra 30min to live in a free state ( and that's driving ) . You will be working near a commuter train connection. This will give you easy access to Pa , Va , and the eastern panhandle of WV.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    Welcome OP, don't get discouraged. Anything owned prior to 01 October is fine. I had to register my "scary rifles" and my handguns within 90 days of ESTABLISHING residency. It was an online thing and took 10 minutes. I don't know about SBRs though.

State politics are annoying but when you come please vote. And encourage everyone in your family to vote - multiple times if possible :-) And throw few dollars towards MSI.

brian0128

Nov 30, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Does anyone know where it states that if you move into state that your regulated firearm must be purchased before Oct. 1, 2013? I'm not seeing it anywhere. If it was bought legally in another state in January of 2014 and you move here why couldn't it just be registered as a regulated firearm?

PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-143 (2014)
    § 5-143. Registration requirements for persons moving into State.
    (a) In general. --
    (1) A person who moves into the State with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary within 90 days after establishing residency.
    (2) The Secretary shall prepare and, on request of an applicant, provide an application form for registration under this section.
    (b) Required information in application. -- An application for registration under this section shall contain:
    (1) the make, model, manufacturer's serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin of each regulated firearm; and
    (2) the firearm applicant's name, address, Social Security number, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, eye and hair color, signature, driver's or photographic identification Soundex number, and occupation.
    (c) Fee. -- An application for registration filed with the Secretary of State Police shall be accompanied by a nonrefundable total registration fee of $ 15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.
    (d) Confidentiality. -- Registration data provided under this section is not open to public inspection.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's correct as far as handguns. However , as relates to banned rifles, he would be under the exception for owned before 10/01 . And in the OP's case he would need an aproved 5320.20 to move his SBR's into Md, which would enter into whatever policy MSP is communicating to ATF that day about SBR's , 29in OAL , or whatever else.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From 281

[FONT=&quot]9 [/FONT][FONT=&quot] A [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]0 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]H[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AS A PURCHASE ORDER FOR[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]R[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]COMPLETED AN APPLICATION TO PURCHASE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]CO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]PYCAT WEAPON BEFORE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]OB[/FONT][FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]R [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1, 2013, [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Y[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot] ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]POSSESS AND TRANSPORT THE[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]6 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; [/FONT][FONT=&quot]OR[/FONT]

Does not say anything about residency. Only that you owned or possessed before Oct. 1

brian0128

Nov 30, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    It's not written very well and someone moving in from out of state could end up trying to bring in a "banned in MD assault long gun" that was purchased legally in another state after MD's October 1 deadline. For example it says that the person "needed to have a purchase order for or completed an application to purchase", but my cousin who lives in Indiana purchased an AR-15 in Walmart with no application just a driver's license in January of this past year. Since he didn't live here in MD we read the law that I posted above for new residents and it didn't mention anything about an out of state resident needing to possess the weapon before October 1st.

brian0128

Nov 30, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    So when he moves here he just has to leave that gun behind with family but he will be able to register all of his other AR-15's he owned prior to October 1, 2013. At least he can register all of his regulated firearms online and doesn't have to take all of his firearms into the local barracks. It looks like it can all be done online according to the MSP website.

New Resident

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense. The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    So when he moves here he just has to leave that gun behind with family but he will be able to register all of his other AR-15's he owned prior to October 1, 2013. At least he can register all of his regulated firearms online and doesn't have to take all of his firearms into the local barracks. It looks like it can all be done online according to the MSP website.

New Resident

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense. The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

Zoom42 here is the link https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx.

Second thing, as you can see all these MD Shooters here hate it here BUT are here, go figure. I just moved here from NC. You my not have a fight in your decsion to come here to the "Great State of Maryland". yes Taxes, Laws, all that it's part of the deal. I am dealing with it myself, though the Gun Laws didn't dictate my move or influence it either. Though maybe your opportunity is worth it and congrats on that. I have been to TX and love going to the Gun Stores, it's like a Real Man's Candy Store...I work for Raytheon Based out of McKinney TX outside of the DFW area.

The good thing there is a wealth of Knowledge within the Forum and can be very helpful and we are all, I believe for the same cause. SO now you can move here and see the other side of the fight...

Welcome Aboard...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Second thing, as you can see all these MD Shooters here hate it here BUT are here, go figure. I just moved here from NC.

Yeah, well, some of us have a lot of history to uproot in order to escape. Place used to be decent, just gradually turned to stink.

And like the Realtors say, location, location, location. I've found Montgomery County to have become the most revolting place to live, over the years, because of the kind of folks who've moved here over the last couple decades. They "celebrate diversity", but if you happen to be diverse in a way they don't celebrate, you can look forward to being despised. Hell of it is, I was here long before they were, and the folks who have left were some of the finest people I've known.

Basically the place has been destroyed by people with too much government money, who moved here because they didn't want to raise a family in DC. And who can blame them?

I imagine you're liking Smithburg. Come on down to where the action is, here in MoCo, and see how you like it. Truth be told, I wouldn't be half so motivated to escape if I lived far away from the belly of the Beast. But if I'm gonna move, there seems to be little reason to stop until I'm across the border.

Zoom42

Jun 25, 2014
    Thank you everybody for all of the information and insight. I still have a lot of things to figure out but this all helps very much. Assuming it works out that I do end up in MD (for better or worse), I'm glad to have found this community.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Didn't I read somewhere here on MDS that the law carries no penalty for failure to register?

By the way, I grew up here, moved to Texas when Carter was President, moved back here 8 years later.

I was shocked by the difference in housing costs.

In 2005 my mother sold her house in Columbia, Md. for $415,000 and bought a much nicer house near Lewisville, Texas for $200,000.

Most of my relatives live around there now...

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Yeah, well, some of us have a lot of history to uproot in order to escape. Place used to be decent, just gradually turned to stink.

And like the Realtors say, location, location, location. I've found Montgomery County to have become the most revolting place to live, over the years, because of the kind of folks who've moved here over the last couple decades. They "celebrate diversity", but if you happen to be diverse in a way they don't celebrate, you can look forward to being despised. Hell of it is, I was here long before they were, and the folks who have left were some of the finest people I've known.

Basically the place has been destroyed by people with too much government money, who moved here because they didn't want to raise a family in DC. And who can blame them?

I imagine you're liking Smithburg. Come on down to where the action is, here in MoCo, and see how you like it. Truth be told, I wouldn't be half so motivated to escape if I lived far away from the belly of the Beast. But if I'm gonna move, there seems to be little reason to stop until I'm across the border.

:goodpost:

Uprooting a family takes planning and time. My planning has begun....

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV

You can make History too...

"Yes" I was Stationed at Fort Detrick 4th LAR Bn Bco for 4 years and did Toys for Tots in the Tri-State area WV, VA & MD, lived in 5 different States and a Foreign Country been around the world "Twice", have family that live in Rockville, Hagerstown, Mt Airy, Cumberland, Bethesda, Boonsboro and some work in MoCo, SO I HAVE SEEN allot of things from Horrible to Rewarding. It may not be a perfect world and it seems to me what you would like it to be...in MoCo. People make choices based on what is good for themselves and there family if needed. Sounds to me if it is that bad for you "Bob A" head for the border...

"Choice" is a good thing...that's my 2cents....

Last edited:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thank you everybody for all of the information and insight. I still have a lot of things to figure out but this all helps very much. Assuming it works out that I do end up in MD (for better or worse), I'm glad to have found this community.

PM sent

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    And buy all the high capacity mags, anything over 10 rds, you think you'll ever want or need before you come. No law against bringing them in yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom