• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Umm...... Am I reading this right? :confused:

No , you are taking it out of context :)

He was saying that he hopes the referendum fails to get enough signature , this was my response to show how childish it seems.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    I signed this weekend. I know the referendum is a long shot in this state. But, I still say we can not just sit back and hope for the best in court. This is too important.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    See, that right there is the NRA's line. Everybody that continues to repeat it to me does NOT understand that our "inalienable" rights can be changed by a popular vote, albeit a super popular vote, that amends the US Constitution. So, it actually can come down to a popular vote per the US Constitution.

So, stop repeating the NRA rhetoric when you want to try to even debate this thing, because whether you are a liberal or a conservative, all I need to hear is a buzzword like common sense legislation or "inalienable right" to tune you out.

Our right are exactly what we as a society deem them to be. Once upon a time blacks had no rights because that is what society chose. Do I think that was right, nope. Do I think limiting the 2nd Amendment is right, nope. However, this entire thing of "inalienable rights" is a pile of crap.

No its not. No further comment is necessary.

You may or may not be pro gun. But you are not on my side in the fight for liberty.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    [/B]

No its not. No further comment is necessary.

You may or may not be pro gun. But you are not on my side in the fight for liberty.

I guess you just do not understand how the US Constitution can be amended.

If we get into this entire thing about "rights", this is going to be a rather philosophical discussion.

Simply put, in a civilized society the only "rights" you have are the ones that the government/majority allows you to have. Yes, you always have the ability to defend yourself, but that does not mean it is a "right".

Under anarchy, you have the right to do as you please. You can murder somebody without a problem.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    In fact it only recognized a pre existing right.

See Heller ...

If it was an "inalienable right", would we even need Heller. If it was an inalienable right, would we really need to take this entire thing to Court should a referendum fail.

The US Constitution says nothing about inalienable rights, unalienable rights, and the only time it mentions rights is regarding intellectual property rights.

Kind of crazy that we need to fight so hard for an inalienable or unalienable right.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I guess you just do not understand how the US Constitution can be amended.

If we get into this entire thing about "rights", this is going to be a rather philosophical discussion.

Simply put, in a civilized society the only "rights" you have are the ones that the government/majority allows you to have. Yes, you always have the ability to defend yourself, but that does not mean it is a "right".

Under anarchy, you have the right to do as you please. You can murder somebody without a problem.

I stand with John Locke . Your argument is with him, and you are welcome to it.

He his dead, and will not mind.

You have chosen another path, you are welcome to do so.

Others may now chose as well. But they should read Locke first

Then they too can chose another path.

They simply will not,can not , and never will be my allies in the fight for liberty.

I stand with John Locke. That is all.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    If it was an "inalienable right", would we even need Heller. If it was an inalienable right, would we really need to take this entire thing to Court should a referendum fail.

The US Constitution says nothing about inalienable rights, unalienable rights, and the only time it mentions rights is regarding intellectual property rights.

Kind of crazy that we need to fight so hard for an inalienable or unalienable right.

I stand with John Locke.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    inalienable rights exist whether a corrupt government restricts them or not.

just because you are repressed does not mean you don't have natural rights.

It's as simple as the definition of the word. And yes mob rule or totalitarian rule can cause all sorts of problems that cover up and restrict your natural inalienable rights. That does not forego their existance.

Welcome, friend. I too stand with John Locke..

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    The purpose of the Constitution and the Bill or Rights in particular is not to grant rights to the people. Its purpose is to places limits on the Government and the Government's ability to interfere with the existing rights of the people.

This simple misunderstanding/misinterpretation is the root cause of many of our problems in current day society.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    The purpose of the Constitution and the Bill or Rights in particular is not to grant rights to the people. Its purpose is to places limits on the Government and the Government's ability to interfere with the existing rights of the people.

This simple misunderstanding/misinterpretation is the root cause of many of our problems in current day society.

On the part of some on the left, it is not a misunderstanding but a deliberate distortion.
    Stay vigilant.

The Watcher

Armed and Medicated
    May 6, 2013
    Upperco, MD
    From the Declaration of Independence. Just so their is no further misinformation on the subject.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. "

You will not find unalienable rights in the Constitution.

However, The Bill of Rights gives the people certain rights. To amend the Constitution requires that the States ratify any amendment. This does not have to be done by a "popular" vote. It can be done within the states legislatures.

In this state we're screwed!:mad54:

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Story was on WJZ this monring at 5:00 AM; they also showed a clip of the new "anti gun, pro MD bill" Maryland commercial coming out to fight this petition.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Right now I am for signing the petition because if they get the signatures need it will put off Oct. 1 til next November. I see that as giving us more breathing room to figure out how to defeat this.

If we go lawsuit will it stop implementation on Oct. 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom