MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't think it was their 'bread and butter' class. I could be wrong...

Bread & Butter as it were , was Security Companies that didn't have an in house Instructor .

Regular people basic handgun , or basic shotgun , etc was either a minor sideline , or done by individual gun clubs , as a Club Activity essentially non profit .

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Because most students at a basic level class ( of whatever ) don't have a basis of knowledge to be able to judge the quality of the material .
    To be fair, those students were just checking the box to get their license. Otherwise, they would’ve taken a 16 hour training for their own knowledge long ago.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bread & Butter as it were , was Security Companies that didn't have an in house Instructor .

Regular people basic handgun , or basic shotgun , etc was either a minor sideline , or done by individual gun clubs , as a Club Activity essentially non profit .
    That's the way I see it...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    To be fair, those students were just checking the box to get their license. Otherwise, they would’ve taken a 16 hour training for their own knowledge long ago.
    ...or, in most cases, that general knowledge had already been gained.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Next thing you know the NG will try to put troops in my house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Did you take your 16 hour 3A training yet? If not, you better have your spare bedroom all ready to go and an extra plate or two at dinner.

Only after your 16 hour 3A training can you deny quarter to troops.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I our class today there was a guy that was adamant he needed to leave, and should get credit, right after we got back in classroom after the qualification shooting. The instructors told him he could leave but he would not receive the certificate of completion.

Dude was the only one in the class wearing a mask, I think he was a plant. :)

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    16 hours is clearly defined. If the instructor cuts corners and attendees stay silent then they are complicit.

Many on here feel wronged with the whole idea of training. While everyone is entitled to their opinion mine differs. I do not want uneducated and inexperienced people carrying. Same logic applies people driving on the road and the requirement of a DL.

I support the 2A but….

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    Kind of funny to stumbled across this thread today. I just got my wife and 4 other friends to attend a wear and carry class today. There was only supposed to be 5 people in the class. When she got home today she said that another 4 people showed up to the class because they had to retake the class after attending Green Firearms Training got got their training license revoked.

I asked her if they talked about what was offered during the now defunct training, but they didn’t bring it up.

That being said, the training class she was in was great and presented a lot of good information and even presented the Maryland laws to go along with what they taught.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Ugh. I understand your point but everything the state touches turns to sh*t.

I agree that ANY state mandated firearm training should be paid for by the state.
    Of course I oppose any required training but that's a different issue.
    Doesn't the state already do that with on-line Hunter Safety training?

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I took some CE classes online that are required by MD and approved by MD (needed 15 hours) There is a timer that starts when you open the class. For the 3 hour class there is a note under the timer that “this class should take at least 2 hours 30 minutes”.

I finished the 3 hour classes including the quizzes and final test in 1 hour 10 minutes - 1 hour 30ish minutes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For online required training , the pro tip is to use CC . You can read the material way faster than the narration .

Used to be , could fast foreward straight to the various quizzes , and just skip the so called instruction , but not anymore .

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Our first day of training was the NRA Basic Pistol course. It ended with a 50 question test and a basic pistol live fire. You had to pass both in order to move on to the next phase. Some there were recommended that they get more practice before moving on...

Our second day focused solely on W&C - then off to the range to shoot our quals. No written test. There was no need IMO.
    While this is good for training it is not what Md says. If you didn’t pass the NRA qual on day one it would not stop you from passing the Md qual on the second.

Instructors need to stop “Frankensteining” these classes and create a curriculum and course that can fill 16 hours productively. If they can’t then they shouldn’t be instructing.

Yes, the state could provide a curriculum and lesson plans etc. but that doesn’t mean it would be taught correctly. Teaching is not an easy thing anyone can just do.

TD

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I took some CE classes online that are required by MD and approved by MD (needed 15 hours) There is a timer that starts when you open the class. For the 3 hour class there is a note under the timer that “this class should take at least 2 hours 30 minutes”.

I finished the 3 hour classes including the quizzes and final test in 1 hour 10 minutes - 1 hour 30ish minutes.
    And that's the crux of the discussion. The law says 16 hours. If you spend 15 hours watching Bugs Bunny cartoons and one hour on the range, you have satisfied the legal requirement. Until some knowledgeable entity provides a POI or syllabus of required topics, the requirement just showcases the stupidity of our corrupt overlords in the MGA.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Except there is no constitutional right to drive and no THT supporting “16 hours of training”.

Do you sleep with a weighted blanket because you like the weight of a boot on your neck?

Tory.
    All his mattress and pillow tags are still attached

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...Yes, the state could provide a curriculum and lesson plans etc. but that doesn’t mean it would be taught correctly. Teaching is not an easy thing anyone can just do.

TD
    To further quote you, "If they can’t then they shouldn’t be instructing." The marketplace and/or MSP will weed out the incompetents.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I do not want uneducated and inexperienced people carrying. Same logic applies people driving on the road and the requirement of a DL.

Weird, I don't want them voting (which is a RIGHT, as opposed to your example of driving which is a PRIVILEGE).

I'm all for training, if it is quality training and applicable to your circumstances. This required training doesn't appear to be anything useful however. It simply appears to be the equivalent of a poll tax meant to prevent the unwashed masses from exercising a right.

16 hours in a classroom would not give me any more confidence in you as a shooter. Any idiot can sit still for 16 hours, hit paper from 20 feet and "pass" this "training".

If my bride gets her carry permit, we will seek out additional legitimate training that will increase her confidence and marksmanship.

If 16 hours with a drooling idiot makes you feel more comfortable, God bless your heart. It doesn't inspire confidence in me, and I would strongly discourage my loved ones from relying upon that as their only training...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I need a Q3A instructor. Do we have any on the forum?

Does MSP have the list?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No, the Maryland National Guard is handling those requirements...

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom