MSP Got one... Instructor caught cutting corners, permits invalidated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    The Guntry site (where I took the class) says to bring 200 rounds. The instructor on day 1 said to bring 100. We used about 50. One gal had some problems hitting the qualification silhouette. I don't know if she passed or failed. The room we were in got hot, so as we got our scores we went out to the larger room to cool off. Either way, she NEEDED this and more.
    I'm not saying training is bad. I've taken training, because I wanted to. It should not, however, under any circumstance, be *required* to exercise a codified Constitutional Right.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And those who confuse a privilege with an enumerated right are ignorant

I may be required to get training to exercise a privilege.

The same does not apply to an enumerated right. At least if it is to be constitutional

Has MDS started a knitting and crochet forum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not saying training is bad. I've taken training, because I wanted to. It should not, however, under any circumstance, be *required* to exercise a codified Constitutional Right.
    Oh, I'm with you, but I'm not sure I would want to be anywhere in her front 180 degree arc if she had a SD moment, though.

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Don't move to Utah, Montana, Iowa, Tennessee, Arkansas and Texas....you know...those Constitutional Carry states.

Thank God you are are not a law maker in Annapolis.
    Or up here in PA where outside of Philly 1 in 6 people are carrying with no training at all.

Yet there are never any problems....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Fine by me. Least onerous way of complying til it can be fought off in court.
    You'll get no argument from me. Put a quiz at the end of it and call it a day. Of course, it will no doubt put a dent in the professional trainer's pockets, but up til now, I don't think it was their 'bread and butter' class. I could be wrong...

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    What is someone suppose to do if they book a class, in good faith, and the instructor calls it a day after 14 hours?
    What is the student expected to do at that point?

If you paypal somebody $200 and they email you a completion certificate then yes, revoke your permit. But that's
    a little different from quiting a little early.
    The 14 hour student has several choices, hope it’s ok and use the certification, call Msp about it, keep quiet and pay for training somewhere else, complain to the trainer about not meeting requirements hoping for a refund.

I wouldn’t sign my name to that document certifying a 16 hour class was given if the class was less than 16 hours. If it’s all over at 14 hours your probably sol on the money and just need to pay for training again. I highly doubt Msp is giving anybody money or free training.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Except there is no constitutional right to drive and no THT supporting “16 hours of training”.

Do you sleep with a weighted blanket because you like the weight of a boot on your neck?

Tory.

I love the comparison to driving!!!

Drivers are sooooo safe, there's neary an accident on the roadways and everyone follows the posted speed limits...

It just goes to show what standardized, check the box training produces.

I like training, just not .gov mandated versions.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think all previous students should have their license revoked. Force the instructor to refund for any class found to not meet standards and let those students retake the course somewhere else. All the different info out there makes it impossible to even know what the hell the class is to cover in the first place.
    Why not have a written exam to be taken and a documented target showing shooter proficiency, DONE. While many don't need 16 hours, others may need much more time to obtain required knowledge and skill. Honestly I don't like the idea of jumping through undefined hoops to exercise a constitutional right, but once .gov gets involved this is what you get.
    Our first day of training was the NRA Basic Pistol course. It ended with a 50 question test and a basic pistol live fire. You had to pass both in order to move on to the next phase. Some there were recommended that they get more practice before moving on...

Our second day focused solely on W&C - then off to the range to shoot our quals. No written test. There was no need IMO.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I love the comparison to driving!!!

Drivers are sooooo safe, there's neary an accident on the roadways and everyone follows the posted speed limits...

It just goes to show what standardized, check the box training produces.

I like training, just not .gov mandated versions.
    I love training!
    ….what you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom