• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    The citizen's primary responsibility is going to be to himself. He isn't going to lookout for the officer's welfare over his own, and I don't think he should.

If he think it is in his best interest to notify (because he knows it to be a "must inform" state) then do so. Otherwise, I think he should minimize the details he offers.

And to know the laws in the perspective jurisdiction he is in. There's no denying that. There is no objective reasoning to say it is mandatory but as spoke of before and how this video example portrays, why not hand over your ccw and notify. When initiating at stop the only thing you know about the individual is what the computer tells you if it is even the owner driving that vehicle. Therefore traffic stop 101 implies that you are always on guard with the driver. Shouldn't you know this? At the end of the night, it is gold to know there are decent people out there whether pulled over or something else making sure to put the officer at ease and minimize any potential threats even if that means letting us know they are carrying (legally).

As far as officer safety I'm on my phone. I respond to your links when I hit a real computer.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Ok, a couple questions. On a traffic stop or other contact, the dispatch reports back with a priors or no priors report, is a ccw lic included in that info?
    #2 if you refuse a car search, doesnt that just throw up a red flag and the wait for K9 begin?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

At least some local police departments in VA have this capability. Of course, there are a lot more carry permits in VA than in MD.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Do you tell LEO about everything else that's in your car? cell phone? screw driver? empty Burger King cup? What make a legally carried gun any different?

Even in the 10 states that do have Must Notify laws...folks carrying illegally are not required to notify.

Why notify of something that is not illegal.

I can be completely courteous and respectful without ever bringing it up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do you tell LEO about everything else that's in your car? cell phone? screw driver? empty Burger King cup? What make a legally carried gun any different?

Even in the 10 states that do have Must Notify laws...folks carrying illegally are not required to notify.

Why notify of something that is not illegal.

I can be completely courteous and respectful without ever bringing it up.

I don't think either answer is necessarily right or wrong. I choose to notify for reasons I have already laid out. The overwhelming majority of officers are good people trying to do a good job. I benefit from that job and appreciate what they do. I'm not sure I would want to be in their shoes. I try to make their jobs as easy and stress free as I can. I also notify for a selfish reason. My gun is usually visible on my hip when I drive, because I take my jacket off in the car. Imagine what the reaction will be in MD if a LEO sees a gun on your hip. When I have been pulled over while carrying and notify the officer, I have been let off with warnings. Was it because I made it obvious I wanted to put the officer at ease by having windows down, hands in view, lights on etc? Maybe. One time I did get into a brief discussion on guns. Nice guy. There is a big difference between an iPhone and a Glock 23.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I don't think either answer is necessarily right or wrong. I choose to notify for reasons I have already laid out. The overwhelming majority of officers are good people trying to do a good job. I benefit from that job and appreciate what they do. I'm not sure I would want to be in their shoes. I try to make their jobs as easy and stress free as I can. I also notify for a selfish reason.

>snip<

When I have been pulled over while carrying and notify the officer, I have been let off with warnings.

Amen. Amazing how a little courtesy in these circumstances can go a long way.

I got pinched a couple weeks ago for speeding coming back from the Undisclosed Location.

He was coming the other direction on the 2 lane road and got me for 77 in a 55. Good thing I was going uphill or a few seconds earlier it would have been over 80. :o

He lit me up from about 100 yards out and I pulled over into the ditch while he turned around.

Had the windows down, wallet on dash, radio off, sunglasses off and didn't make any excuses other than it was a pretty day, I was on Spring Break and the SIRIUS was blasting some good tunes.

We exchanged information and he went back to the SUV/cruiser.

I put my hands out the driver's window where he could see them, given I was OCing my 1911 on my hip.

He came back up and the first thing he said was, "Thanks for keeping your hands where I could see them". He asked about where my land was and some other small talk.

Bottom line was he wrote me up for 59 in a 55 when he could have absolutely put the screws to me for wreckless.

I imagine it could have gone far differently had I chose it to be so.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    I don't think either answer is necessarily right or wrong. I choose to notify for reasons I have already laid out. The overwhelming majority of officers are good people trying to do a good job. I benefit from that job and appreciate what they do. I'm not sure I would want to be in their shoes. I try to make their jobs as easy and stress free as I can. I also notify for a selfish reason. My gun is usually visible on my hip when I drive, because I take my jacket off in the car. Imagine what the reaction will be in MD if a LEO sees a gun on your hip. When I have been pulled over while carrying and notify the officer, I have been let off with warnings. Was it because I made it obvious I wanted to put the officer at ease by having windows down, hands in view, lights on etc? Maybe. One time I did get into a brief discussion on guns. Nice guy. There is a big difference between an iPhone and a Glock 23.

Good post! ...but there is NO difference between an Iphone an a Glock :D:

glock_iphone_case.jpg

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    If I was caught for something like speeding and was just being pulled over for a ticket, I probably wouldn't say anything. That is provided knowing the officer will not the gun and it will just be a quick stop. OTOH if there was any chance of him seeing it or me needing to move my hand towards it, such as to get a wallet for ID, I would make sure I say something...using common sense.

edit: actually I take that back. I probably would just tell the officer right away, because more than likely they will realize you mean no threat if you are willing to tell them immediately.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I probably would just tell the officer right away, because more than likely they will realize you mean no threat if you are willing to tell them immediately.

My experience in every interaction with a LE while carrying has been exactly that.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    If I was caught for something like speeding and was just being pulled over for a ticket, I probably wouldn't say anything. That is provided knowing the officer will not the gun and it will just be a quick stop. OTOH if there was any chance of him seeing it or me needing to move my hand towards it, such as to get a wallet for ID, I would make sure I say something...using common sense.

edit: actually I take that back. I probably would just tell the officer right away, because more than likely they will realize you mean no threat if you are willing to tell them immediately.

People who mean the officer harm will not tell the officer they are armed.
    This does not mean that anyone who DOESNT tell a LEO they are armed is a bad person intent on harming anyone, but doing so would tend to confirm to the officer that you are truthful, cooperative, and respectful of their safety and position.
    Like Masaad said, "They cant see the halo over your head that you know is there."
    I love that.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    People who mean the officer harm will not tell the officer they are armed.
    This does not mean that anyone who DOESNT tell a LEO they are armed is a bad person intent on harming anyone, but doing so would tend to confirm to the officer that you are truthful, cooperative, and respectful of their safety and position.
    Like Masaad said, "They cant see the halo over your head that you know is there."
    I love that.

Exactly, again folks what is so hard to comprehend here? Simple case of courtesy, respect and professionalism.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Exactly, again folks what is so hard to comprehend here? Simple case of courtesy, respect and professionalism.

Did you find the definition of "officer safety" and how notification promotes safety of an LEO ,or is this going to be like the thread on issued sidearms in various jurisdictions where you post innaccurate information and expect us to accept it because of all the clutter in your your signature line?

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Did you find the definition of "officer safety" and how notification promotes safety of an LEO ,or is this going to be like the thread on issued sidearms in various jurisdictions where you post innaccurate information and expect us to accept it because of all the clutter in your your signature line?

Notification of CCW doesn't necessarily promote safety, it provides an atmosphere, or a sense of, safety, between an LEO and an unknown threat, which is a good thing when your facing the option of a warning or a ticket.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    When Im being pulled over I promptly (While obeying Traffic Laws) find a well lit but more importantly a SAFE area to pull over. When I say SAFE I mean a place that away from traffic so the chances of the Officer being struck by other Motorists is reduced. If its raining I try to stop under an overpass if possible.

I turn off my conveyence unless there is mechanical issues, if there is I explain it to the officer.

If the area isnt well lit I turn on the interior lights.

I talk to the Officer with honesty and respect. Like a Student should speak to a Teacher. Deception, Rudeness, and Sarcasm gets you NOWHERE. People that try to act like asses must not have neen raised right. Mouth off to a Cop and you just might end up with your own foot in your ass. My Grandfather taught me long ago, if you fight with a Cop he will always win because he has 100 friends that will stomp your ass silly if you act like a fool.

I roll my windows down, all of them so the Officer has full view. If its raining I crack them all at a minimum. I offer to return to the Officers Cruiser to keep them from getting rained on.

I always keep my hands visible and I dont reach in my pockets, or under my seat, or in the console, or under the glovebox without asking the Officer if its ok.

I dont remove my seatbelt or exit the vehicle unless instructed to. If asked to exit I ask how to proceed safely.

I notify that Im a lawful CCW upon initial contact. I dont say " I have a gun".

If the officer disarms me for his safety I do nt go on about my Constutional Rights. I comply and if he asks me how to unholster or unload the gun I instruct them WITHOUT sarcasm or rudeness. Not every LEO is a Weapons Expert and knows every Retention Holster or Firearm.

Even when Im at the Gunshop and there are Officers in the showroom I politely come up front and tell them Im about to conduct test firing. I do the same when there are Veterans or Young Children up front. Its called being corteous because not everyone responds calmly to gunshots.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Good point about turning the car off, Chad. I run into more people who don't than do.

Is this not being taught anymore?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good point about turning the car off, Chad. I run into more people who don't than do.

Is this not being taught anymore?

I have never met someone my age or younger that does what I listed. When I explain why they give me a puzzled look.

My Grandfather raised me and I was taught to treat my Teachers, Preachers/Priests, Police, Judges, Firemen, Doctors, Nurses with similar Respect. I can only assume its an old school thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom