• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    THIS is exactly why I notify the officer I have a gun. Imagine getting pulled over in Maryland, and having the officer notice a gun he wasn't notified about. You will be looking at the wrong end of his until he calls backup and ascertains that you are not a threat. It is so much easier to let him know it's there to begin with. As I said before, my experiences with MD LEO while I was legally carrying have been very dull. I see notification being as much for my own safety as for the officers.

This!!!! ^^^

If I was able to carry in MD, I'd much prefer to notify the officer than be unlucky enough to print and then turn a uneventful situation in to a "GUN!!!!" hassle with a firearm pointed at me. I'm not a fan of having firearms pointed at me, and assuming that the cop is a professional (and I'd like to assume that 99% are) I don't care if they know that I'm legally carrying a weapon. I would refuse a search of the car without PC and/or warrant, regardless, but for my comfort, it's not a big deal.

Similar thought- If you're in a interrogation room with your attorney, and being questioned about a crime you didn't commit, and you have great, and documented aliby (you were in Paris for the weekend with stamped passports etc.) Your lawyer would likely encourage you to provide that information to eliminate you additional hassle- would you keep that to yourself, only to require additional scrutiny?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    To answer your 2nd part I'd provide it to get them looking a different direction and on the right path to catching who they are looking for.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    To answer your 2nd part I'd provide it to get them looking a different direction and on the right path to catching who they are looking for.

And to draw the parallel argument - Id provide the "I'm legally carrying, i wont reach" ; moving on, you stopped me because of...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    would you keep that to yourself, only to require additional scrutiny?

different potential outcome. notifying a LEO that you have a gun and are legally carrying it may open you up to more scrutiny, not less. a good and reasonable cop may appreciate the info, but a not so good or reasonable one may draw on you, drag you from car, disarm you, etc. sure the good and reasonable vastly outweigh the others, but still i really don't want a gun pointed at me nor to be disarmed for a legal activity.

that said, i am not against laws being put in place where notification is mandatory. but until it's the law, folks who don't notify shouldn't be treated differently than folks who do.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for the Video Norton. I enjoyed watching it.

Unfortunately, I knew this would go this way.

I do everything the LEOs here suggest.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    different potential outcome. notifying a LEO that you have a gun and are legally carrying it may open you up to more scrutiny, not less. a good and reasonable cop may appreciate the info, but a not so good or reasonable one may draw on you, drag you from car, disarm you, etc. sure the good and reasonable vastly outweigh the others, but still i really don't want a gun pointed at me nor to be disarmed for a legal activity.

that said, i am not against laws being put in place where notification is mandatory. but until it's the law, folks who don't notify shouldn't be treated differently than folks who do.

This is a misguided view. One of the State supreme courts (I can't recall which, off-hand), found that a CCW is NOT a valid excuse for further search. If an officer drags me from my car and disarms me on the side of the road, I will be filing a lawsuit the following day. There is no further scrutiny that can come from legally carrying a firearm without a civil rights violation. This is BGOS. I would never, under any circumstances, consent to a search of my vehicle. I am a very good citizen (with the exception of tending to drive a little fast).

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I agree - an individual should be treated the same regardless. I'm not a fan of "mandatory requirements" so I dont think I'd support a law that requires informing the LEO. However, I'm a "reasonable" person and would offer that information.

I would imagine this comes down to training for the LEO's something that I have zero experience with.... That being said-

It is my understanding (from watching cops, and other similar shows- again - zero first hand experience) that lawful contact with a civilian in which it is not known that they are in possession of a firearm. The standard reaction that I have seen when a firearm is spotted on the person is "GUN" and to draw on the individual in possession of suspected firearm, disarm the individual, and proceed. This is what I'd like to avoid.

Please speak up LEO's and educate me on the subject, because I do not have any LEO training.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You know Matt id like to avoid that scenario as well. Thats why I support politely letting us know. I dont want to point my gun at good citizens. I like good citizens. I like positive interaction while im on duty. Id prefer the casual non schilant, hey officer ive got a ccw just letting you know. Ive got my permit and my guns on my hip. Sorry about the stop sign I really have to pee.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Sorry about the stop sign I really have to pee
    cause I had 7 pitchers of Coors Right at [insert local tavern] and I missed the stop sign cause my girlfriend was sexting me while my wife was trying to figure out where I am.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    cause I had 7 pitchers of Coors Right at [insert local tavern] and I missed the stop sign cause my girlfriend was sexting me while my wife was trying to figure out where I am.

Hahaha if u had 7 pitchers of Coors lite id let you go cuz I know ud be sober from drinking baby beer!!!

But i will not stand for sexting while driving.......unless u share pics :)

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Coors Right is 10 times better than Miller Wrong, and don't get me started on Mud Light.

Oh- sexting photos- always get shared.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Ok, a couple questions. On a traffic stop or other contact, the dispatch reports back with a priors or no priors report, is a ccw lic included in that info?
    #2 if you refuse a car search, doesnt that just throw up a red flag and the wait for K9 begin?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Coors Right is 10 times better than Miller Wrong, and don't get me started on Mud Light.

Oh- sexting photos- always get shared.

Sharing is caring sir.

Now im going to confiscate that case of yuengling. Your wife is on her way to get you and i found out ur gf has a thing for cops :)

Meet me at ur gfs house in the morning and ill give you your ccw back.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I would notify if I was in a state that required me to. Other than that, I would keep my mouth shut about my CCW if I didn't have to notify. I would rather not take the chance of running into someone like Officer Harless.

And if a cop sees your CONCEALED weapon when performing a traffic stop, then you are doing it wrong.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Ok, a couple questions. On a traffic stop or other contact, the dispatch reports back with a priors or no priors report, is a ccw lic included in that info?
    #2 if you refuse a car search, doesnt that just throw up a red flag and the wait for K9 begin?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

For me obviously it doesn't give ccw info. It also does not give priors only current status, parole, probation, or free man.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I assume with that flag in your sig that you generally do some of the same work I do. With that said (and all officers aren't the same) you should agree that honesty is generally the best policy. 99% of the time if your honest about something we don't care. Oh ofc. I got a bag of weed.....ok sir be on your way.

How would you react if a ccwer didn't notify you of a gun on a traffic stop and you saw it first?

If your response is to ask the gentlemen, sir do you have a gun in your waistband? Are you a felon or legally carrying? Then my friend while I respect you I'm going to assume you have spent zero time on the street.

If your legally carrying and advise me then it is what it is. I'll probably keep you there longer to talk about guns with you and who knows maybe lock you into a 9mm v 40 debate. But if I see at gun first before you notify me, I HAVE to assume the worst.

Again as I mentioned the big court victories are super important but just making people aware and comfortable with carrying and guns is 100xs more important. And who better to start with than the police in unfriendly gun states?

Wouldn't you like the polic response to a driver with a gun in md to eventually be......ehhhh it's just another guy with an overpriced 1911, he was a pretty nice guy.

BTW I love pulling over armed Leo's with they way they react I always feel the safest.n if ccwers reacted the same I'd feel the same. When you pull over police it's generally, hey ofc. I'm pg county police and my guns on me. Ok boss take care.

If a ccwer was like hey boss I'm a ccwer here's my card.....ok boss be on your way...Wait sir Wait, what kind of gun do you have? Anything nice? :)

Fixed it for ya. :D

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    And if a cop sees your CONCEALED weapon when performing a traffic stop, then you are doing it wrong.

Agreed- at the same time they are trained to spot what the common person is not. They are also looking for threats the entire interaction - much like those with the tin foil hats are paranoid.

Another good question was raised- [redacted]

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Agreed- at the same time they are trained to spot what the common person is not. They are also looking for threats the entire interaction - much like those with the tin foil hats are paranoid.

Another good question was raised- obviously a refusal to "search" the car does not constitute PC, however what is the protocol for a denied request? I'm sure that it varys from jurisdiction to jurisdiction- but any insight would be helpful should any of us ever end up in that situation.

Hey Matt pm me for an answer to the 2nd part. An all out open debate and scenario driven conversation would ruin a good thread and get this locked......trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom