• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Lots of good things posted here.

I personally roll down all windows (I gots nothing to hide) if at night before fully stopped, the dome/interior lights are turned on, keys are out of ignition (on dash) and left arm out window hand open, right arm on steering wheel, hand open and in view.

If I have occupants- I request they sit back, shut up, and don't move with hands in sight.

When asked for DL/Reg/etc. I say it's all contained in my wallet, in my x pocket, may I reach for it?

If I've been pulled over/have interaction with police, it's generally warranted, in not going to "admit" anything, but I also will not impede the job the officer has to perform.

It is my understanding that polite and friendly interaction does help to put the officer at ease. Do you want to approach a car at night that was willing to do something that justifies a LEO stopping them? Ive heard and tried this: be pleasant and smile- That the officer is less likely to give you a ticket cause you're having a good day... Don't know that this worked, but I've been absolutely guilty of x and gotten a warning instead. YMMV

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Oh and one last note- I keep from identifiing with any political views/sports teams/hobbies/etc via sticker/emblem, etc. if you end up with an officer who can't stand x and you support x with a big ole' sticker.... I think its safe to assume that if there was an inkling of symathy, you're that much less likely to receive it...

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    In FL I am not required to inform the officer that I have a weapon in the car; concealed or otherwise.

However, if I'm pulled over and carrying I will hand the LEO my DL and my CWP to avoid any trouble.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Lots of good things posted here.

If I've been pulled over/have interaction with police, it's generally warranted, in not going to "admit" anything, but I also will not impede the job the officer has to perform.

Just remember, signing the citation is not an admission of guilt, you're just signing for receipt of the citation. FAILURE TO SIGN MAY LEAD TO YOUR ARREST.

Some people don't understand this part and I've had to arrest a few for it.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Chris Rock would have probably had a different take ... :lol2:

You probably won't get your ass kicked if you just use common sense.

And the last part! "He got weed!" has been told to me on a stop:lol2:

Its amazing how quick someone will roll on someone else if they are pissed or think it will get them clean of any wrong doing. Priceless.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm sorta torn by this.

I trust MOST cops, but the few bad one's have left me a bit uneasy about volunteering information if I'm not compelled by law to do so.

Obviously, if I'm CC'ing in a state where officer notification is required by law, I would do so. But if I'm legally CC'ing in a state where officer notification is NOT required by law, I would run the risk of further scrutiny for what would have otherwise been a simple traffic stop. I would be the unlucky bastard that gets pulled over by Officer A. Hold, the one that thinks nobody but the mighty police should carry a gun and has made it his personal mission to make a lawfull CC'ers day less than convenient when he can.

I always turn the interior lights on and roll my window down in advance.

Never thought about the back window, but none of my vehicles have tinted windows. Does this matter?

I wait to retrieve the requested documents until the officer has made contact.

I even pulled myself over about a week ago when I passed the cop in a seldom travelled industrial district while travelling well above the 25mph posted speed limit. He simply drove around me and waved. Perhaps he knew me or saw my uniform. Who knows. I deserved the ticket that I never got.

I probably would volunteer the information, just because I run calls with them and happen to know a lot of them. But they also know me so it would be somewhat unnecessary. But the few times I've been pulled over it's always been cordial.

I still think it's a matter of "Citizen Safety" not "Officer Safety".

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    looking out for Officer Safety. :)

How is this an issue of "Officer Safety"?

I'm not going to shoot a police officer, so how does me telling him I'm legally armed make HIM/HER safer?

More like "Citizen Safety". I can see where it would make me safer, but how exactly does notification make a police officer safe?

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I tend to think there is more to lose on the citizen's part by telling than keeping quiet about it.

Take, for instance, people who aren't totally familiar with the laws of the state they are in. Shame on them, but damn. Who can keep up?

A baptist minister gets pulled over in D.C. with his passenger van full of touristy churchgoers. They are from Texas. He has a Texas CHL. He has recently heard D.C. gun laws have relaxed since the old days, but it is still a dangerous city. He decides to pack the gun for the trip.

He tells the nice officer on the outset of the traffic stop that he has a Texas CHL, and that his gun is under the seat.........and then he is handcuffed, taken to jail, and now has a criminal record.

If he'd have just kept his mouth shut, he'd have been on his way with a warning or at worst a citation.

No, this is not a hypothetical story.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    When I get stopped for a traffic violation, I just hand out my license and registration and say "yes, sir", :"no, sir" to all questions. Then I go home and kick myself for forgetting to turn on the radar detector.

NakedSnowman

Jul 14, 2009
    Roll down your window (all the way), and your rear driver's side window too.

Depending on the height of the vehicle/officer this isn't the best idea. If you are in a SUV/Truck yes roll the window all the way down. Police officers don't enjoy reaching up that high exposing unprotected areas where there is no body armor. If you are in a car 1/2 way down is best. It is a barrier which protects the police officer from you. No, it isn't bulletproof but you aren't going to reach through glass, grab hold of an officer and stab him repeatedly either.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Depending on the height of the vehicle/officer this isn't the best idea. If you are in a SUV/Truck yes roll the window all the way down. Police officers don't enjoy reaching up that high exposing unprotected areas where there is no body armor. If you are in a car 1/2 way down is best. It is a barrier which protects the police officer from you. No, it isn't bulletproof but you aren't going to reach through glass, grab hold of an officer and stab him repeatedly either.

How many traffic stops have you done?

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    How is this an issue of "Officer Safety"?

I'm not going to shoot a police officer, so how does me telling him I'm legally armed make HIM/HER safer?

More like "Citizen Safety". I can see where it would make me safer, but how exactly does notification make a police officer safe?
    You're kidding, right? He the driver is looking out for both his and the officers safety handing his chp to the officer. That in today's world is also called courtesy. Might slip some minds here.

I tend to think there is more to lose on the citizen's part by telling than keeping quiet about it.

Take, for instance, people who aren't totally familiar with the laws of the state they are in. Shame on them, but damn. Who can keep up?

A baptist minister gets pulled over in D.C. with his passenger van full of touristy churchgoers. They are from Texas. He has a Texas CHL. He has recently heard D.C. gun laws have relaxed since the old days, but it is still a dangerous city. He decides to pack the gun for the trip.

He tells the nice officer on the outset of the traffic stop that he has a Texas CHL, and that his gun is under the seat.........and then he is handcuffed, taken to jail, and now has a criminal record.

If he'd have just kept his mouth shut, he'd have been on his way with a warning or at worst a citation.

No pity there, it is his and only his responsibility to be informed when traveling out of state of that state or jurisdictions laws. But I think the topic at hand is in line with states that have such ccw laws.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    You're kidding, right? He the driver is looking out for both his and the officers safety handing his chp to the officer. That in today's world is also called courtesy. Might slip some minds here.

How does this ensure "OFFICER SAFETY"?

I see how it may prevent an officer from over-reacting if a ccw holder doesn't divulge the information BEFORE a handgun is noticed, IF it's even noticed (big "IF"). But what exactly does it do to keep an officer safe?

I hardly think a legal ccw holder, who is exercising their rights in a state that DOES NOT REQUIRE LEO notification, is being discourteous by not divulging the information. If your posts here are reflective of your professional demeanor as an LEO, then you are EXACTLY the LEO I'm not saying any more than required to.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Going in circles here. :thumbsup:

Please look up the true definition of officer safety post it, then let's debate it.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    okay, hmmm...

because i am not familiar with the case and you didn't cite a source to get the whole story, i am going to add a hypothetical to this. but before i do, realize that the arrested individual may have the chance to appeal and have his record expunged and his firearm returned. that is the lawful potential. now about the hypothetical;

say the individual didn't say a word about being armed, and he was issued a citation and sent on his way. three hours later, he has to use the firearm to protect his life and the lives of his 'flock' because a group of youths tried to car-jack and kidnap one of the visitors.

he takes two down, wounds another. the two killed are under 18, the wounded is expected to live but with severe disability ~ he has two kids ages 1 and 3, and momma is in prison.

imagine where it would go from there.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Just remember, signing the citation is not an admission of guilt, you're just signing for receipt of the citation. FAILURE TO SIGN MAY LEAD TO YOUR ARREST.

Some people don't understand this part and I've had to arrest a few for it.

That entertains me- it's written there plain as day. But as a "customer" it amazes me that it does go so far as to getting arrested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom