• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Roll down your window (all the way), and your rear driver's side window too. This is especially appreciated on cars with tinted windows.

At night, do the above, but turn the interior light on and keep your hands on the wheel.

Of course, you don't have to do this, and can choose to shout, "Why the $%^ did you pull me over!? Why don't you go catch the real criminals!"

But the outcome may be very different. You takes your chances, you pays your money (or maybe not)

This. Of course, if you're in a vehicle with manual windows and get pulled over on the interstate, it's probably best to wait until the officer walks up before reaching across the vehicle to roll down the window. Putting yourself in his/her shoes goes a long way to make life easy on all involved.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Going in circles here. :thumbsup:

Please look up the true definition of officer safety post it, then let's debate it.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

So I googled “Police Officer Safety Definition” and here are some of the top choices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

This one was no help

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...n=display_arch&article_id=2379&issue_id=52011

Nor this one

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/FBOP-LEOSAMemo.pdf

Nada

So, why don’t you provide me with the definition that states CCW holder notification improves the safety of LEO’s. Hopefully there are some statistics that back up these claims too.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think the best way to proceed is strip naked, hold a bible in one hand, an AK-47 in the other, and scream about the coming antichrist and tell them not to take your CCW piece because it is your right to protect against the ruskies.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I think the best way to proceed is strip naked, hold a bible in one hand, an AK-47 in the other, and scream about the coming antichrist and tell them not to take your CCW piece because it is your right to protect against the ruskies.

No.

The operative word is Allu-Akbar!

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    The citizen's primary responsibility is going to be to himself. He isn't going to lookout for the officer's welfare over his own, and I don't think he should.

If he think it is in his best interest to notify (because he knows it to be a "must inform" state) then do so. Otherwise, I think he should minimize the details he offers.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    I think what slips people's minds is that they think all CCW holders will be/are model citizens.

Well, there if the driver is armed he/she is either doing so legally or illegally.
    if they are legal I don't think they're planning on doing harm(possible though).

Now if they're illegal(with or without harmful intent), are they going to inform the officer?

I like the idea of making ccw more the norm. So the more traffic stops the police(being informed of the ccw) do with legal, courteous people, the better.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

But I have to say in no way do I see it a matter of officer safety.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Agreed. The officer's safety is only in jeopardy with a criminal. Asking non-criminals who have no ill-intent to notify the officer does nothing to increase his level of safety. In those cases, it is already where it needs to be.

The faulty logic being used by the pro-notify is very similar to gun control, expecting restrictions on regular people to somehow decrease gun related crimes.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I almost shot a guy once on a traffic stop. It was at night and he was making a furtive movement under his seat as I approached. So with my pistol out, I told him to stop reaching and he kept stating that he was armed and wanted to make sure I saw it. An idiot almost lost his life that night on the side of a dark highway, alone. He indeed had a gun. He also had warrants. Regardless, tell the cop or don't, just don't be reaching for anything. Scariest thing ever.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I couldn't help but think of the bathroom scene from Reservoir Dogs just now.

A similar thing happened on a stop I was backing up. The driver pulled it out from under the seat after the officer ran his name. He jumped in the window to grab it, and the two of them went rolling down the road fighting for control of it.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Agreed. The officer's safety is only in jeopardy with a criminal. Asking non-criminals who have no ill-intent to notify the officer does nothing to increase his level of safety. In those cases, it is already where it needs to be.

The faulty logic being used by the pro-notify is very similar to gun control, expecting restrictions on regular people to somehow decrease gun related crimes.

I assume with that flag in your sig that you generally do some of the same work I do. With that said (and all officers aren't the same) you should agree that honesty is generally the best policy. 99% of the time if your honest about something we don't care. Oh ofc. I got a bag of weed.....ok sir be on your way.

How would you react if a ccwer didn't notify you of a gun on a traffic stop and you saw it first?

If your response is to ask the gentlemen, sir do you have a gun in your waistband? Are you a felon or legally carrying? Then my friend while I respect you I'm going to assume you have spent zero time on the street.

If your legally carrying and advise me then it is what it is. I'll probably keep you there longer to talk about guns with you and who knows maybe lock you into a 9mm v 45 debate. But if I see at gun first before you notify me, I HAVE to assume the worst.

Again as I mentioned the big court victories are super important but just making people aware and comfortable with carrying and guns is 100xs more important. And who better to start with than the police in unfriendly gun states?

Wouldn't you like the polic response to a driver with a gun in md to eventually be......ehhhh it's just another guy with an overpriced 1911, he was a pretty nice guy.

BTW I love pulling over armed Leo's with they way they react I always feel the safest.n if ccwers reacted the same I'd feel the same. When you pull over police it's generally, hey ofc. I'm pg county police and my guns on me. Ok boss take care.

If a ccwer was like hey boss I'm a ccwer here's my card.....ok boss be on your way...Wait sir Wait, what kind of gun do you have? Anything nice? :)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dropped the F bomb more times in 1 minute than I had in an entire year I think. I remember it just like it happened 5 minutes ago. It took a few minutes for the cavalry to get there. Might as well had been a lifetime.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I assume with that flag in your sig that you generally do some of the same work I do. With that said (and all officers aren't the same) you should agree that honesty is generally the best policy. 99% of the time if your honest about something we don't care. Oh ofc. I got a bag of weed.....ok sir be on your way.

How would you react if a ccwer didn't notify you of a gun on a traffic stop and you saw it first?

If your response is to ask the gentlemen, sir do you have a gun in your waistband? Are you a felon or legally carrying? Then my friend while I respect you I'm going to assume you have spent zero time on the street.

If your legally carrying and advise me then it is what it is. I'll probably keep you there longer to talk about guns with you and who knows maybe lock you into a 9mm v 45 debate. But if I see at gun first before you notify me, I HAVE to assume the worst.

Again as I mentioned the big court victories are super important but just making people aware and comfortable with carrying and guns is 100xs more important. And who better to start with than the police in unfriendly gun states?

Wouldn't you like the polic response to a driver with a gun in md to eventually be......ehhhh it's just another guy with an overpriced 1911, he was a pretty nice guy.

THIS is exactly why I notify the officer I have a gun. Imagine getting pulled over in Maryland, and having the officer notice a gun he wasn't notified about. You will be looking at the wrong end of his until he calls backup and ascertains that you are not a threat. It is so much easier to let him know it's there to begin with. As I said before, my experiences with MD LEO while I was legally carrying have been very dull. I see notification being as much for my own safety as for the officers.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA

Probably the same way you would, by showing him the end of mine :D

However, this whole time I've been trying to say that "notify" vs "keep quiet" is a gamble, and I think the odds are more in the citizen's favor on the "keep quiet" side.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No doubt keep quiet is the best bet. I have no idea idea out of the number of stops I have done how many weapons had been in vehicles. Just to know makes you feel a little easier actually. Well It used to for me anyway.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    THIS is exactly why I notify the officer I have a gun. Imagine getting pulled over in Maryland, and having the officer notice a gun he wasn't notified about. You will be looking at the wrong end of his until he calls backup and ascertains that you are not a threat. It is so much easier to let him know it's there to begin with. As I said before, my experiences with MD LEO while I was legally carrying have been very dull. I see notification being as much for my own safety as for the officers.

And I hope that by notifications ccwers will be viewed as not a threat by officers in unfriendly gun states will consider these traffic stops as "routine" as well as other ones.

I bolded your comment because I'd like to see more traffic stops with legal gun toting citizens as dull :)

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    And I hope that by notifications ccwers will be viewed as not a threat by officers in unfriendly gun states will consider these traffic stops as "routine" as well as other ones.

I bolded your comment because I'd like to see more traffic stops with legal gun toting citizens as dull :)

Hey! I resent that! I'm not dull (at least I don't think I am...) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom