• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OK. So I was up at Lou's this evening, and coming back I decided to stop in at Honey Pig in Ellicott City, on the recommendation of all of our members of Korean background. Whoa, what an experience. Food's great - I got the octopus and beef, and want to try the pork belly next time. But talk about a total immersion cultural experience. I was about the only white guy I could see when I got there, and they put me right under the big screen TV with the Korean boy-bands. Definitely a place I'll go back to, so thanks for the recommendation.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Before refrigerators kimchi was made in the fall, buried under ground in huge ceramic pots and eaten until spring and summer. Talk about food that is raw and not even canned.

Now I'm going downstairs. I'm craving kimchi. LOL

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Before refrigerators kimchi was made in the fall, buried under ground in huge ceramic pots and eaten until spring and summer. Talk about food that is raw and not even canned.

Now I'm going downstairs. I'm craving kimchi. LOL

Yep.. Still joke about it with my coworker. Asking her how many holes and clay pot she has buried in her backyard.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    i ONLY eat kimchi that old.

Fresh Kimchi lacks flavor IMO. I think it's best after sitting in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I don't like it when it gets too raunchy though. My grandmother, who is 100% Japanese brings homemade kimchi over sometimes and its much better than the store bought kimchi. Her friend makes it.

Anyway, I'm 25% Japanese. My grandfather was a Marine stationed in Japan when he met my Grandmother. They had children and came back to the US when his tour was over. Been here ever since.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    OK. So I was up at Lou's this evening, and coming back I decided to stop in at Honey Pig in Ellicott City, on the recommendation of all of our members of Korean background. Whoa, what an experience. Food's great - I got the octopus and beef, and want to try the pork belly next time. But talk about a total immersion cultural experience. I was about the only white guy I could see when I got there, and they put me right under the big screen TV with the Korean boy-bands. Definitely a place I'll go back to, so thanks for the recommendation.

your life has changed for the better.

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    OK. So I was up at Lou's this evening, and coming back I decided to stop in at Honey Pig in Ellicott City, on the recommendation of all of our members of Korean background. Whoa, what an experience. Food's great - I got the octopus and beef, and want to try the pork belly next time. But talk about a total immersion cultural experience. I was about the only white guy I could see when I got there, and they put me right under the big screen TV with the Korean boy-bands. Definitely a place I'll go back to, so thanks for the recommendation.

the honey pig in EC is usually half white lol. pork belly... every Korean newborn's first meat dish :D

Fresh Kimchi lacks flavor IMO. I think it's best after sitting in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I don't like it when it gets too raunchy though. My grandmother, who is 100% Japanese brings homemade kimchi over sometimes and its much better than the store bought kimchi. Her friend makes it.

Anyway, I'm 25% Japanese. My grandfather was a Marine stationed in Japan when he met my Grandmother. They had children and came back to the US when his tour was over. Been here ever since.

we dont use much salt in our kimchi, so it ages very well. a Japanese who eats kimchi... now that's something you dont hear everyday.

i agree. not a big fan of store bought kimchi.

looks like the focus of this thread is about kimchi...

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    What makes the real difference in our homemade kimchi and store bought is crab meat and oysters. It may sound and look gross but it really puts a good flavor into the kimchi, it also gets kind of pickled so it is safe to eat although I usually don't.

mazinger

Feb 11, 2013
    Columbia
    i can't stand the fermented version. i like mine marinated just couple days in the fridge. still, i rarely get to eat it nor crave it. now, the daikon radish version, i like this the originally intended way.

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    I'm half Chinese.

In my experience: almost all Koreans and Vietnamese in the US are pro-2A, most Chinese and SE Asians are, and almost all Filipino or Japanese are against guns (this list is centered around oriental Asians).

In Korea, there is mandatory military service for all men who maintain citizenship; a lot of the Koreans I know are dual-citizens. Almost all of the Vietnamese people I know had at least some of their family flee Vietnam because of the Communists during NAM; those Chinese that also fled the PRC strongly support 2A rights. Taiwanese are also 2A supporters because of their ongoing conflict with mainland China. Hmong or Laos/Cambodia/Thailand/etc (SE Asians) are also generally in favor of 2A rights, because their families were displaced during fairly recent conflicts or is part of the culture (Hmong).

There is a trend among younger second/third generation Asians to be more liberal, because they have an easier life that is removed from the hardships their elders experienced. It's also because minorities tend to gravitate towards more metropolitan areas, which have higher liberal exposure; without a strong personal connection to conflict, it is easy for people to forget the importance of 2A rights.

In my experience, Filipinos and Japanese are typically anti-gun, although they are pro-weapon/martial-arts. Haven't met many, so I can't say this is a trend, just my personal observations.

You are definitely hanging out with the wrong Filipino crowd. Most Filipinos are into guns and cars. Here's a pic of my friend's collection in Vegas.

enu9e7es.jpg

gridybrah

May 12, 2013
    my first time at a gun store and the people in this thread were correct. saw two chinese men picking up their very shiny, very expensive 1911 handguns.

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    I'm half Chinese.

In my experience: almost all Koreans and Vietnamese in the US are pro-2A, most Chinese and SE Asians are, and almost all Filipino or Japanese are against guns (this list is centered around oriental Asians).

In Korea, there is mandatory military service for all men who maintain citizenship; a lot of the Koreans I know are dual-citizens. Almost all of the Vietnamese people I know had at least some of their family flee Vietnam because of the Communists during NAM; those Chinese that also fled the PRC strongly support 2A rights. Taiwanese are also 2A supporters because of their ongoing conflict with mainland China. Hmong or Laos/Cambodia/Thailand/etc (SE Asians) are also generally in favor of 2A rights, because their families were displaced during fairly recent conflicts or is part of the culture (Hmong).

There is a trend among younger second/third generation Asians to be more liberal, because they have an easier life that is removed from the hardships their elders experienced. It's also because minorities tend to gravitate towards more metropolitan areas, which have higher liberal exposure; without a strong personal connection to conflict, it is easy for people to forget the importance of 2A rights.

In my experience, Filipinos and Japanese are typically anti-gun, although they are pro-weapon/martial-arts. Haven't met many, so I can't say this is a trend, just my personal observations.

Correction, many Filipinos are pro gun and avid gun owners. I know in my families, most relatives and friends alone prolly 98% owns and collect guns. Most are competitive shooters too. Heard about Jethro Dionisio? I know large amount of Filipinos are in many branch of US military too, loving their service and their firearms... And also I love Balut and San Miguel Beer....:party29:

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    You are definitely hanging out with the wrong Filipino crowd. Most Filipinos are into guns and cars. Here's a pic of my friend's collection in Vegas.

Guess so - like I said before, I only know a couple of Filipinos - most of the Asians I know are Chinese/Taiwanese, Korean and Vietnamese.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Honey Pig - Although the marinated meats taste good over the grill, to really get the full Honey Pig experience, you need to get the unmarinated Brisket and Pork Belly and eat it with the Sesame Oil/Salt/Pepper mixture...OR with the fermented bean paste mixture they put on the table (orangish brown paste). If you feel really adventurous, get the odd beef parts. I think they have tongue and intestine. Eat that with the egg souffle and the bean paste soup. Finish off with the spicy squid and have them toss with the rice, egg and vegetables. One thing I will say about Korean food...it is meant to be shared. Don't eat Korean alone...it's not the same experience. The more the tastier.

Kimchi - Fresh kimchi is gross. Might as well eat cabbage and the red pepper separately. Definitely has to be a few weeks old. BUT....I don't like really old fermented kimchi. #1, because I like some crunch to my kimchi #2 it's TOO sour. So essentially, I only like kimchi for a few weeks. If I don't eat it fast enough, it goes in the stew. I think the oldest I would go is 2 months. Yes, homemade is better than store bought. But in a pinch, store bought is fine. And I agree with Ender, Oyster in kimchi is good. Most people don't realize there is some fish sauce or shrimp sauce in kimchi. By the way, we have a Kimchi Fridge....yes...a dedicated, specially designed, fridge for storing kimchi. It also does great with fruits and veggies.

Asians and Guns - Like I was saying earlier, I think Asians are generally gun friendly. They just tend not to be as vocal about it. Since owning guns, I'm surprised to find out all of these friends of mine that also own. I would have never thought.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The spicy pork at Honey Pig is amazing. I get it every time (plus other stuff of course)! It's pricey but good for a night out with friends.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

obnoxious2

Jan 18, 2013
    district 21 - hunger games

I know a lot of you guys recommend Honey Pig but there are lots of other Korean BBQ places that offer much better quality and service for near the same price.

My 2 current favorite spots are Iron Age in Rockville (get the spicy marinated pork belly) and oegadgib in Annandale

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Consider myself an American, am ethnically Korean. Was born there and adopted at birth by a causasian couple. No foreign accent, used to eating typical American food, don't speak a foreign language (aside from some extremely broken Spanish). Got in to firearms via my brother, who retired as a Sgt. from the US Army after two combat tours overseas as an 11 Bang Bang.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    the honey pig in EC is usually half white lol. pork belly... every Korean newborn's first meat dish :D

I agree with this guy... though slightly biased- I'm white but though my girl is chinese. After all race doesn't matter, everyone loves food. Who doesn't like Pork? I'm a big fan of the squid and the seafood bowl

I've been to Honeypig at 3am and had to wait for a seat. They are always busy in EC.

*out of the 30 or so pro-2a guys that I know, the 3 largest collections (BY FAR think 10x everyone else) are Chinese, chinese, korean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom