• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    A lot of posters made good points so I thought I would condense them and add my own:

1) One party supermajority = corruption unabated with no one to challenge them
    2) Urban/suburban sprawl in a small state
    3) Ignorance of firearm use because of population density (can't shoot in your backyard on less than a half acre), complacency (the police will protect me), fear (ignorance and fear of the other guy), culture/education (only unsophisticated rednecks/Republicans have guns),media/indoctrination (only cops and bad guys have guns)
    4) D.C. elitism and culture, a unique animal all in itself. Growing up in Moco I have experienced this first hand and it has spread to Moco which is one of the reasons why it is what it is.
    5) Bubbles of "it isn't going to affect me in my little world" because of gentrification
    6) Yuppies
    7) Limousine liberals galore
    8) Government reliance
    9) Urban crime culture
    10) Wants to mimick New York City, Boston, and other uber-liberal cities of the Northeast trying to outdo them in the name of "progress".
    11) Bread and circuses (I.e. as long as I have my car, cell phone, booze, and sports/ TV/etc. IDGAF what happens)
    12) Not everyone is a gun person, in to guns, or collects them. Since people around here in Moco in general are very selfish therefore they don't care about guns being controlled because it doesn't directly affect them.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Am I sure of what??? I made no reference to your race in my post. I have no idea what race you are and am not so presumptuous as to suppose one way or the other. Nor does it matter to me one way or the other. My post was in response to your post, not in response to your race.

Fair enough. I was thinking that you said more than you intended to..

Now lets see if we can figure out how to help Baltimore I think we can agree it needs some help.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie

Now lets see if we can figure out how to help Baltimore I think we can agree it needs some help.

Yes sir. We agree on that. And we should figure out how to help that city, and also how to convince people in the heavily populated areas of this state that responsible gun ownership by law abiding citizens endangers no one. We are on the same side brother.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    A lot of posters made good points so I thought I would condense them and add my own:

1) One party supermajority = corruption unabated with no one to challenge them
    2) Urban/suburban sprawl in a small state
    3) Ignorance of firearm use because of population density (can't shoot in your backyard on less than a half acre), complacency (the police will protect me), fear (ignorance and fear of the other guy), culture/education (only unsophisticated rednecks/Republicans have guns),media/indoctrination (only cops and bad guys have guns)
    4) D.C. elitism and culture, a unique animal all in itself. Growing up in Moco I have experienced this first hand and it has spread to Moco which is one of the reasons why it is what it is.
    5) Bubbles of "it isn't going to affect me in my little world" because of gentrification
    6) Yuppies
    7) Limousine liberals galore
    8) Government reliance
    9) Urban crime culture
    10) Wants to mimick New York City, Boston, and other uber-liberal cities of the Northeast trying to outdo them in the name of "progress".
    11) Bread and circuses (I.e. as long as I have my car, cell phone, booze, and sports/ TV/etc. IDGAF what happens)
    12) Not everyone is a gun person, in to guns, or collects them. Since people around here in Moco in general are very selfish therefore they don't care about guns being controlled because it doesn't directly affect them.

^^^THIS; and all the talking and debating isn't going to change a damn thing, at least in OUR lifetimes. It is what it is for all the above reasons

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Maryland isn't inherently anti-gun. It's legislature is dominated by a single party, which means two things:

1. That party's agenda pretty much always gets advanced.
    2. With no serious competition, there is no real oversight, which leads to corruption that is often further applied both #1 and the party monopoly.

Unfortunately for us, the Democratic Party is rabidly in favor of gun control at the moment, which means lots of gun control for us in Maryland.

A lot of us are hoping that O'Malley & Co. pushed things too far with FSA2013, not to mention items like the rain tax, the botched ACA rollout, etc. and will feel a little heat at the polls this year.

Time will tell.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    ^^^THIS; and all the talking and debating isn't going to change a damn thing, at least in OUR lifetimes. It is what it is for all the above reasons

And it is one of the reasons why I want to leave this state. Even if the gun laws were better I would still leave because of the culture, self-entitlement, taxes, and expensive cost of living here especially living in the home of the beast where most of these laws come from, Montgomery County.

Raylon Rules

I am Groot
    Feb 19, 2013
    C.C.C.M.D.
    How about the following:
    Urban and suburban populations grossly outnumber rural populations
    Mass influx of immigrants from countries with strict gun laws
    Large number of people who depend on the govt for work or welfare
    Ridiculously high crime rates from big cities in a small state

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011

Sir, i like your attitude. Lets stop looking at the symptoms and fix the disease. The problem has to be fixed by breaking the ghetto mind set. ( Not Racial but Ghetto). We need to counsel families in the ways of life to create hope and unity. Then you can work on education, carreers (not Jobs). We need to force corperations to directly pay a percentage of taxable revenue directly to the school system, education and mentoring programs, and interships. If we took the corner drug dealers gave them an education, but them in business suits, taught them business norms. We could turn this country around. To me the biggest social wellfare system we have are the prisons. If you could harness that power you would grow millions at every turn. After all the business man and the dope man are both.......HUSLTERS! One just pays taxes...or at least is acts like he/she does!:innocent0

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    This state is sucking up to the capital thats all. Say the white house just said screw this seize that state and that state (arizona, texas, etc) here comes the "yes man" Maryland "can I get you a drink good sir?"

I just needed to put it in perspective...dont take that seriously.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    maryland has always been in the forefront of stupid gun laws. I think, it is because of fear of urbanization and the crime that goes along with that.

Here in MD. We are ahead of the stupid line by:

Requiring a 7 day wait for pistol purchases in 1966
    Requiring machinegun registration before the 1934 NFA was even in the books
    We are also ahead in, Pistol roster, gunlocks, locking guns from minors under age 16, magazine limits(20 to less than 10 rounds), Classified guns into the assault weapon category, Restrictions on long guns.... Etc.

Dig deeper and you can see that gun control in MD has racist origins. Domination of a single party with racist roots that fear urbanization( and the minorities that come with that).

Promote crime and fear in urban centers,use that as reason to take away the guns, create government dependency, dependency creates constituency. As many have indicated, its all about people control.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Sir, i like your attitude. Lets stop looking at the symptoms and fix the disease. The problem has to be fixed by breaking the ghetto mind set. ( Not Racial but Ghetto). We need to counsel families in the ways of life to create hope and unity. Then you can work on education, carreers (not Jobs). We need to force corperations to directly pay a percentage of taxable revenue directly to the school system, education and mentoring programs, and interships. If we took the corner drug dealers gave them an education, but them in business suits, taught them business norms. We could turn this country around. To me the biggest social wellfare system we have are the prisons. If you could harness that power you would grow millions at every turn. After all the business man and the dope man are both.......HUSLTERS! One just pays taxes...or at least is acts like he/she does!:innocent0

So far so good... but how to make them belive they can. Money is not as lacking as some think... more than can be used effectively because folks put out little effort.

Small money + big effort = big result.
    Big money + small effort = status quo.

big money + big effort = WOW!!!

Everyone wants WOW. WOW needs big effort..

How do we get folks to believe....?

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Maryland is a predominantly Democrat state. Democrats watch the Communist News Network 24/7 and believe it to be gospel. The Communist News Network streams anti 2A articles and news all day long, until all of their viewers have been sufficiently brainwashed in thinking guns are bad, being able to defend yourself is bad, and anyone who legally owns a gun is a "gun nut". In short, the liberal media has brainwashed its viewers into blissful disarmament. Meanwhile the Maryland violent crime rate soars out of control.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I think the reason a lot of Dems are anti is because their party is so they just go along with everything their party believes in. Republicans are seen as pro-gun and since many liberals cannot fathom being associated with anything related to the Republican party they are anti.

An exception to this is blue-hunter states, like PA, which Obama one both times.

The Dem. party has done a great job at branding and selling the thought it is all-or-nothing to be one of them.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Small size overall state with all of Baltimore and a large portion of the DC suburbs. Large cities tend to be more liberal/anti gun. There aren't enough of us to balance that (or enough who pay attention and actually vote).

:thumbsup: THIS!!!...is what I think. Nearly every state has similar issues. For example, the DC suburbs of Va tend to vote both liberal (nanny state) and anti-gun...just like Maryland's liberal DC suburbs. The difference? Maryland is small enough geographically that these jurisdictions (plus Baltimore City) basically outweigh the remaining 19 jurisdictions while Virginia is a large state with large rural areas and small towns. LAst stat I read was that PG, MOCo and Balt City account for something like 46% of the population. Since they vote 65, 70, up to 80% for liberal democrats, the vote in the remaining areas are overwhelmed since their votes are more closely split. By the way, I have talked to quite a few people from Europe and guess what? People who live in the countryside in mosty of those countries tend to view gun control and other issues associated with Conservativism more similar to our 'country people'. Not always, but pretty often.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Very true. I've been to France...and there's France - and Paris. Totally different places.

I still think the best solution is to realign the MD/VA/DC borders. Create an I-95 Axis state, and a Rural state. Allow as many people as possible to live under a government congenial to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom