• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    MD has been a "Gun Control" state since the 60's with the 77r being required. Somebody older then me will remember the politician shot in MD that touted he was shot in a "gun control" state.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    very simple. a lot of folk living in cities weren't brought up with guns and have no interest in them. to them, there is no upside to a gun (fun, protection) and there is only downside (robbery, homicide, home invasion, accidental shooting, etc), so why not just limit/ban them?

conversely, these folks value their cars, cell phones, alcohol and the like, so they have no interest in banning any of these even if one kid or individual could be saved by not having them around.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    very simple. a lot of folk living in cities weren't brought up with guns and have no interest in them. to them, there is no upside to a gun (fun, protection) and there is only downside (robbery, homicide, home invasion, accidental shooting, etc), so why not just limit/ban them?

conversely, these folks value their cars, cell phones, alcohol and the like, so they have no interest in banning any of these even if one kid or individual could be saved by not having them around.

Well said. I looked up the numbers, 10% of MD's population lives completely within the city, another 20% live in the high density close in suburbs; 30% of MD's population in the Baltimore metro area alone ... add the DC metro area and you are looking at 50%+ in the high density areas of the state. Sprinkle in migration from those areas to the exurbs and just plain idiocy in the outlining areas and the urban ideology/experience prevails.

Feb 28, 2013
    Maryland is, to a large extent, a matrix of people:
    - dependent or reliant on government for protection and/or sustinence.
    - raised in gentrified subcultures to whom self-reliance and independence is a foreign concept.
    - indoctrinated from childhood to believe that subservience to government authority is natural.
    - who work within the government/contractor complex and thus subject to the paradigm that people outside government need to be 'governed', rather than served.

Nice. Well written. :thumbsup:

Racism of the elected elite.

They fear a black man with a gun.

How about a man with a black gun?:)

The liberal power structure, black and white, and many of its subjects, view lawful gun owners as crypto-Klansmen and neo-Nazis, ever about to break out in armed rebellion. In other words, they think we're all nuts. They fear us much more than they fear the gang-bangers and career criminals, from which they think they can hide and, some of them, be protected by their armed guards paid for by the taxpayers.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I'm not looking for the usual rhetoric we throw around about. I'm seriously wondering if there's a reason that most of those who help run this state act like they think that every bullet fired from a gun summons baby-eating demons.
    Pretty much every state that we share a border with has more lax gun regulations, yet we're the state with with major crime and murder problems. I don't think that's just bad luck.

Is there an actual explanation somewhere in our state's history that can explain why things are like this? In the past month I've spent a week in two separate states that allow their residents to concealed carry in public and buy scary black rifles and I haven't seen any blood in the streets. I'm quite tempted to email O'malley and ask him why he doesn't trust the people in his own state to show this same level of self-control, but I'd probably get back some form letter about public safety.

Anyone have any insights for me?

There are a two factors in play.

1) Democrats are more likely to be anti-2nd amendment then Republicans as a whole. Not the members of there party but each party's elected officials.

2) Urban areas are more likely to be anti-2nd amendment because hunting is non existent and the only contact any of the people have with guns are Cops and the bad guys and in someplace's like Chicago it is hard to tell the difference between the 2 groups.

Voting Demographics in Maryland.

30% of Marylanders are Black. Black's vote at a smaller percentage then other groups but they still accounts for around 25% of the voters.
    Since they vote Democrats 96% to 98% of the time that give the Democrats a 25 point advantage over the other states.

25% of our workforce is federal employees not counting those that work for big government contractors. Government employees vote Democrat by a pretty large margin based on stats I have seen.

And finally we have 2 major cities in Maryland. Most of the states you are talking about only have to deal with 1 and even then Virgina has been looking pretty blue thanks to Northern Virgina.

When you add up all the advantages Democrats have in the state of Maryland I am surprised any Republicans every get elected in this state.

Since Democrats don't have to worry about losing seats they only run candidates that think like the party and not like the members of there district by and large. That is why you have a Delegate willing to close down a large employer in his district and also be proud of it.

Thanks
    Robert

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Simply put it is a Race related problem. 90% of all gun laws were put in place to keep guns out of slaves hands after the emancipation in the 1800's. This translates into states that were battle grounds for civil rights: LA, Chicago, New York, DC, roits in Baltimore. Point being the control factors were put in place during the exercise of militant civil rights leaders, who were using arms in their civil protest. Those same cities have the highest crime rates and the strictest gun laws. This is why the laws were put in place, and Maryland is caught in that wash. PA has more people in their rural areas that over shawdow Philadelphia. It is the one exception to this rule.

:thumbsup:

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Okay! before I get the, living in the past rhetoric, hear me completely out. The Black american family has been destroyed from this countries inception. ( I am not saying this is an excuse for behavior but it is the reason) The inner cities of America are the way they are due to institutional racism. During Jim Crow which, existed in every sourthen state in this country, including Maryland, the Black family was intact. Once the civil rights hit in the late 1950's and 1960's, the black family structure was intact. In the early 70's the Black family in the city was escaping to the suburbs and growing. Drugs in the form of Herion were allowed to infiltrate the inner city,along with unemployement, destroyed the black family. Now what you see are the fruits of that labor. I say this as an explaination not to point fingers or blame. However this problem will get worse and because we live in the same nation it will spread. So unless the cancer is fixed it will infiltrate future generations. So as they take all rights away for the fear of the black man every one's rights will get caught up in the wash. It is about control and the focus on controlling the masses by dangling the fear of the big black (Latino, Arhab) criminial.

Oh an excuse my spelling!

:thumbsup: you known your history.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    There is evidence that the black family was stronger during Jim Crow than after the effects of Johnsons war on poverty. I make no causal claim... I have no idea...

But it is both tragic and hard to explain..

Much work has been done on this, but much has been surpressed as well. The black community is going to have to ask of itself some hard questions. The rest of us can only stand and watch and if asked we can help.... but this must be done by the community itself. These answers are not ours to give. We hold no secret.. no cure....

Blame may make you feel better....but it will solve nothing... I hope the community starts to ask the hard questions. I will help if I can and if asked... but its not my place to play ( pardon the experesion) white knight.

I belive the black community is strong enough to right itself and built a strong base-- even save Baltimore.. what I do not know is when they will start and if it will be in time...

I don't think thw post you are replying to is assigning blame. The overall thread was asking why is Maryland so anti gun. You are correct in that the black community may be able to right the ship but in some ways the its nearly impossible. Civil rights sand self awarness, cultural pride etc. Was targeted and replaced with entitlements, mandatory drug sentencing, etc. In short, the inner city which was a hotbed of civil rights/civil disobedience was transformed into what we see today through a myriad of reasons. Facts of history, not assigning blame.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I don't think thw post you are replying to is assigning blame. The overall thread was asking why is Maryland so anti gun. You are correct in that the black community may be able to right the ship but in some ways the its nearly impossible. Civil rights sand self awarness, cultural pride etc. Was targeted and replaced with entitlements, mandatory drug sentencing, etc. In short, the inner city which was a hotbed of civil rights/civil disobedience was transformed into what we see today through a myriad of reasons. Facts of history, not assigning blame.

I was not implying that it was. I am trying to move to what we do going forward nothing more was intended.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Kinda of off topic but california is anti-gun because of the Black Panthers (who happen to be the original open carry protestors..if they only had cell cams & youtube)

Reagan banned OC and restricted CC then 10 short years later said he was pro-2a

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Kinda of off topic but california is anti-gun because of the Black Panthers (who happen to be the original open carry protestors..if they only had cell cams & youtube)

Reagan banned OC and restricted CC then 10 short years later said he was pro-2a

This is not off topic, but part of the history. Mulford Act.... Sullivan Act.... Gun Control Act.

Imho the powers that be, as well as 2014 America should be reminded so that they understand that the 2A was infringed upon to take rights from certain classes of citizens.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    There is evidence that the black family was stronger during Jim Crow than after the effects of Johnsons war on poverty. I make no causal claim... I have no idea...

But it is both tragic and hard to explain..

Much work has been done on this, but much has been surpressed as well. The black community is going to have to ask of itself some hard questions. The rest of us can only stand and watch and if asked we can help.... but this must be done by the community itself. These answers are not ours to give. We hold no secret.. no cure....

Blame may make you feel better....but it will solve nothing... I hope the community starts to ask the hard questions. I will help if I can and if asked... but its not my place to play ( pardon the experesion) white knight.

I belive the black community is strong enough to right itself and built a strong base-- even save Baltimore.. what I do not know is when they will start and if it will be in time...

This quote is so interesting for myriad reasons, but the one most striking to me is the sentiment contained, both explicitly and implicitly, in the last paragraph. "I believe the black community is strong enough to right itself....."

Well, for purposes of disclosure I will say that I am black and live in a black community. I am an attorney. My neighbor to my immediate right is an attorney. My neighbor to my immediate left is a software engineer. The neighbor to his immediate left is a PhD candidate. Across the street there are two civil engineers, a nurse and a physician's assistant. There is an elderly lady who just retired from NASA (though I don't know what she did there) and another semi-elderly lady who is a lab tech at a major hospital. There are a number of families with children on our block and none of them are single parent households.

So when you say the black community is strong enough to right itself, you are commenting from the false premise that the black community, in its present state, needs to be righted. The real problem is that non-blacks choose to view blacks negatively. It is your choice that your vision of blacks entails a bunch of poor drug users, dealers and welfare recipients. Because you buy into that stereotype you are comfortable preaching from atop your soapbox. The simple truth is, despite the false stereotypes about blacks, we have made tremendous progress in this Country and as a whole are doing better than ever. There is even a black guy running this country presently.

What does exist for the black community, in the inner city, is the same problem that exist for every racial community, in the inner city: inner city blight. It's a problem associated with population density and economics. It is not unique to blacks. I am in Baltimore frequently for court and I can tell you there are plenty of broke down white folks walking around that city. There are plenty of white folks on the corner begging in that city. There are plenty of white crack heads, meth heads and heroine addicts in that city. There are plenty of white folks on welfare in that city. So maybe you can start with righting that ship.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    This quote is so interesting for myriad reasons, but the one most striking to me is the sentiment contained, both explicitly and implicitly, in the last paragraph. "I believe the black community is strong enough to right itself....."

Well, for purposes of disclosure I will say that I am black and live in a black community. I am an attorney. My neighbor to my immediate right is an attorney. My neighbor to my immediate left is a software engineer. The neighbor to his immediate left is a PhD candidate. Across the street there are two civil engineers, a nurse and a physician's assistant. There is an elderly lady who just retired from NASA (though I don't know what she did there) and another semi-elderly lady who is a lab tech at a major hospital. There are a number of families with children on our block and none of them are single parent households.

So when you say the black community is strong enough to right itself, you are commenting from the false premise that the black community, in its present state, needs to be righted. The real problem is that non-blacks choose to view blacks negatively. It is your choice that your vision of blacks entails a bunch of poor drug users, dealers and welfare recipients. Because you buy into that stereotype you are comfortable preaching from atop your soapbox. The simple truth is, despite the false stereotypes about blacks, we have made tremendous progress in this Country and as a whole are doing better than ever. There is even a black guy running this country presently.

What does exist for the black community, in the inner city, is the same problem that exist for every racial community, in the inner city: inner city blight. It's a problem associated with population density and economics. It is not unique to blacks. I am in Baltimore frequently for court and I can tell you there are plenty of broke down white folks walking around that city. There are plenty of white folks on the corner begging in that city. There are plenty of white crack heads, meth heads and heroine addicts in that city. There are plenty of white folks on welfare in that city. So maybe you can start with righting that ship.

Very good post. I think that when people say black community, it is assumed to be that of the inner city. You are right, there are many black communities that are not in the inner city. There are many blacks that are middle class and very educated. I am counted among blacks in this category. You are right on point with your comments regarding inner city woes and the races represented there.

Good post.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA

Excellent post. :thumbup:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

I stand corrected. But that does not help Baltimore. Nor does it help that the white folks are just as poor. The problem is not all the folks doing well. And the transfer payments,most of which go to rural poor white folks, don't help them either.

Now I grew up in Brooklyn.. What is my race ? My first apartment was in New Brunswick NJ. What is my race? I now work for the Federal Government . What is my race?

Are you sure?

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    I stand corrected. But that does not help Baltimore. Nor does it help that the white folks are just as poor. The problem is not all the folks doing well. And the transfer payments,most of which go to rural poor white folks, don't help them either.

Now I grew up in Brooklyn.. What is my race ? My first apartment was in New Brunswick NJ. What is my race? I now work for the Federal Government . What is my race?

Are you sure?

Am I sure of what??? I made no reference to your race in my post. I have no idea what race you are and am not so presumptuous as to suppose one way or the other. Nor does it matter to me one way or the other. My post was in response to your post, not in response to your race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom