• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Well, I renewed my license today.

Guy asked me what I was looking to catch. "Probably grief." ;)

Not really, but it sounded good. Thing is, I renew it every year, then hardly ever find myself getting out to drown so much as a single worm.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    I'll jump back into the CA mountain trout fishing action in about a month.
    One of the reasons I'm still in CA.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Nice haul Ed!
    Thanks.
    We went out to rocky gap today looking for crappie with no luck. Did end up with 5 trout between the 2 of us.

That wind was wild in the kayak today.
    Might still be a little cool out there to turn on the crappies. Might find them against the north shore. It just got good for us over on the shore in the last week or so.
    Nice job Ed.
    Thank you.
    Filet knife got a workout for sure.
    Yes it did. It's an old Rapala and is still sharp.

We're going to hit the ponds for a little more meat fishing, then gear up for the Red Drum/F'N Skate run for a catch & release workout.

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Loch Raven is really good fishing in the spring time. One of my favorite places to fish. I always rent a boat and make a day of it. Nice fish.
    IMO the best bank fishing at Loch Raven is when we're in a drought and the water is low. It just opens up so much more access. It's an excellent Bass fishery but I think it's an even better fishery for White Perch and Pickerel. If anyone wants to target Pickerel, go to Loch Raven and target Crappie, you'll get sick of catching Pickerel.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    IMO the best bank fishing at Loch Raven is when we're in a drought and the water is low. It just opens up so much more access. It's an excellent Bass fishery but I think it's an even better fishery for White Perch and Pickerel. If anyone wants to target Pickerel, go to Loch Raven and target Crappie, you'll get sick of catching Pickerel.
    Yes there is no shortage of Pickerel there. The only time I will catch a white perch there is in the spring and that is pretty rare. By mid-April things will heat up there.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am guessing this thread is quiet now because of all the rain and wind lately. Somebody must be catching them. Is it you? Lets get this thread going again.....

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I was suppose to be fishing raystown this weekend but they closed all the ramps untill further notice due to high water. Upper potomac looks to be too high for my liking until around Monday at the best. Might try greenbrier just to wet a line and get out on the boat for a bit this weekend.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I am guessing this thread is quiet now because of all the rain and wind lately. Somebody must be catching them. Is it you? Lets get this thread going again.....
    The temperature dropped, so we're taking a break, but we wait for warm windy & rainy days. Looks like it's going to be cool and sunny for a while and we won't get another promising day until next week.

We fished on some private irrigation ponds near Federalsburg last Wednesday - warm overcast day. Walked the shorelines. I caught 10 bass and a pickerel, all small, on a small RattleTrap. My buddy caught 6-7 bass, same 12-14" size, using a jig & pig.

Fished Monday morning in the driving rain, which was much more comfy than spending Monday morning in my office. Put the boat on a DE millpond for about 4 hours. Caught 7 keeper crappies and 3 keeper yellow perch between us, although I think my buddy caught most. Let a bunch of small bass, crappie & yellow perch go and my partner caught a bass that was about 3# that was also released. I lost a 2-3# pickerel at the boat. We drifted minnows on little shad darts under a bobber and casted RattleTraps. Crappie are still carrying eggs.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Four of us took two little boats to Delaware and hit some ponds Friday. Warm + overcast + light breeze = early-season Crappie time.

Drift fishing minnows on 1/32nd and 1/64th ounce shad darts under a bobber, 6# mono. We let about a half-dozen bigger Pickerel go, but kept some small ones for crab bait. A couple of the biggest ones we released were between 4 & 5 pounds. Let quite a few smaller Crappies and smaller Yellow Perch go. A few of the Perch and Crappies were pretty good sized. The boards under the fish are rough-cut 5/4 x 12s.

The Yellow Perch were spawned out. The Crappie eggs are just starting to develop, so they won't spawn for another few weeks. The larger Pickerel on the left had a 5" bluegill in him - that's the shadow on his stomach.

View attachment 460718
    View attachment 460721

View attachment 460722
    Can you eat those fish. Only fresh water fish I ever eaten was a catfish. Do want to try some snake fishing

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Can you eat those fish. Only fresh water fish I ever eaten was a catfish. Do want to try some snake fishing
    Yes, both Crappie and Yellow Perch are excellent eating. I filet them, skin the filets and lightly fry. Snakeheads are very good, with mild-flavored, firm chunky white meat.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am hoping to get back out soon. Thinking my next trip is going to be the Potomac River out of Fort Washington. That way if the bass aren't biting we can probably catch some big catfish or maybe a snakehead. Can't fish there on a windy day. That part of the main river is killer in the wind.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I used to fish out of Ft. Washington quite a bit. I'd put in and putt out to the mouth of the creek by the lighthouse, drop some nightcrawlers on the bottom and catch some eels. We'd cut the eels into 2" pieces and take them up the river to a spot just above the mouth of Swan Creek. There is a spot on the north shore just above the creek that is fouled with old broken down pier timbers. We use slip sinkers/fish-finder rigs with the eels and let the tide carry the bait into that mess. Was nothing to catch 15 or more 10# cats on a spring/early summer evening.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I was suppose to be fishing raystown this weekend but they closed all the ramps untill further notice due to high water. Upper potomac looks to be too high for my liking until around Monday at the best. Might try greenbrier just to wet a line and get out on the boat for a bit this weekend.
    Monday they're calling for the river to still be around 7 feet...still pretty high to fish IMO. It crested at 15.5' yesterday. Expect some new logs scattered around.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Today was opening day for the loch raven fishing center. I saw three boats on the water when I crossed the Dulaney Valley road bridge at 7:30 this morning. Around noon, I crossed it again, and there was no one on the water.

I think with all of the rain along with cooler weather fishing is going to be slow there. I brought my rod to work, and I might try my luck on my way home depending on how bad the wind is.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Monday they're calling for the river to still be around 7 feet...still pretty high to fish IMO. It crested at 15.5' yesterday. Expect some new logs scattered around.
    Yeah we ventured out on the four locks stretch a few weeks ago when the Hancock gauge was a little over 10 feet that's as high as I'll go and still launch the boat. 7 feet sounds like good conditions for catfishing to me this time of year especially around the dams. The flatheads that are growing in numbers on the potomac love flooded timber!

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Today was opening day for the loch raven fishing center. I saw three boats on the water when I crossed the Dulaney Valley road bridge at 7:30 this morning. Around noon, I crossed it again, and there was no one on the water.

I think with all of the rain along with cooler weather fishing is going to be slow there. I brought my rod to work, and I might try my luck on my way home depending on how bad the wind is.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
    Loch Raven is one of my favorite spring spots. The wind is not your friend there. To hard controlling the boat and getting around.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I used to fish out of Ft. Washington quite a bit. I'd put in and putt out to the mouth of the creek by the lighthouse, drop some nightcrawlers on the bottom and catch some eels. We'd cut the eels into 2" pieces and take them up the river to a spot just above the mouth of Swan Creek. There is a spot on the north shore just above the creek that is fouled with old broken down pier timbers. We use slip sinkers/fish-finder rigs with the eels and let the tide carry the bait into that mess. Was nothing to catch 15 or more 10# cats on a spring/early summer evening.
    There are giant catfish in that area of the river. Very deep water and strong currents. I caught a 50 pounder there last spring.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Didn't have much luck today water temp has dropped back to 48 the upper potomac is muddy and cold with a lot of debris still floating around. We managed a little 12" walleye trolling a shad rap and that was it. Will try again this weekend hopefully the Warmer Temps this week will wake em up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom