• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    This seems like a good group to ask...what kind of boat do you use to fish in this region and why? What would you buy if you like fishing, crabbing and duck hunting, and had a $20k budget?

I'm starting to shop for my first ever boat to use for fishing/crabbing/duck hunting in the Potomac and other Bay tributaries. I am thinking of something simple with a center console and capacity to seat 4 people safely (e.g. wife and two children for fishing; or myself and dog and decoys for hunting). So I have been looking at Carolina Skiff models and some Jon Boat types. My budget is $5-10k for the boat + trailer, and $5-10k for a motor. I was thinking 40 hp or better. I don't plan to take this out on the open Bay or far away from shore on the rivers...this is for rivers and creeks/shallow water primarily. Hopefully I can move up to a Bay-capable boat later on.

The boat will live in my driveway (plenty of room). My closest marina is 20 minutes away where I can put the boat into Bull Run (shallow water) and I also go to the eastern shore of MD about once a month....maybe more if I get a boat...and the upper Potomac/DC area water.

I have been using a variety of hunting club-owned 19' Carolina skiffs with 60 and 120 hp motors for a decade and am very familiar with operating/troubleshooting a beautiful bathtub like that. I love how stable and get the job done, but they are but they sure are heavy and ugly. :) What do you guys think? What am I not thinking about? I'm not in a rush...I plan to buy this in 2023 or 2024.
    I got a 16" Tracker Deep Vee used off FB Marketplace, and repowered it (it had been used for bowfishing in rivers for snakehead and had electric trolling motors.). Has a 25hp Merc Bigfoot 4 stroke now. I/we use it for crabbing and fishing on rivers and creeks (my buddy and I use it; I bought it, he maintains it). Been excellent so far.

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    I heard talk the snakeheads have been found in the bay. Maybe they'll take on the Bluecats that are invading.

1467ae0f7db9750819396478f4afb925.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bass fish a fair amount out of the Fort Washington area where there is supposed to be a lot of snakeheads. I catch lots of bass and catfish but never a damn snakehead.
    Mattawoman is full of them as is Occoquan and every other creek on down. Find quiet backwaters. Once the waters begin to warm, look for Snakehead fry balls(schools of Snakehead fry). You'll see them up in the surface. The bigger fish will be below, protecting them. They'll smack at whatever you drag through there. They spawn throughout the summer, so always be on the look-out for those fry balls.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Drug the boat out the garage yesterday and got it cleaned up and ready. Spent a couple hours wiring in a 2nd house battery and a 36v lifepo4 for the trolling motor. Paying for it today not much room In the center console for working lead to contorting into some odd positions to get it done. Smallmouth should be getting fired up in the Potomac. We stuck our crawfish/minnow trap in the creek behind the house yesterday evening will check it this afternoon to see if the crayfish have come out from hibernation. If they have then it's time to hit the river!

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Managed a pickerel on a classic Lazy Ike. My buddy gave me a couple of them from his deceased father's tackle. They needed a good cleaning, as they were super grungy and chalky. They cleaned up nice and still work apparently.
    IMG_20240303_135933_539.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_072622_560.jpg
      IMG_20240226_072622_560.jpg
      730.2 KB · Views: 20
    • IMG_20240227_161537_993~2.jpg
      IMG_20240227_161537_993~2.jpg
      214.7 KB · Views: 21

One shot

Feb 13, 2013
    southern Maryland
    Drug the boat out the garage yesterday and got it cleaned up and ready. Spent a couple hours wiring in a 2nd house battery and a 36v lifepo4 for the trolling motor. Paying for it today not much room In the center console for working lead to contorting into some odd positions to get it done. Smallmouth should be getting fired up in the Potomac. We stuck our crawfish/minnow trap in the creek behind the house yesterday evening will check it this afternoon to see if the crayfish have come out from hibernation. If they have then it's time to hit the river!
    How do you like the lifepo battery? I am in the process of putting a Garmin Kraken on my center console.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    How do you like the lifepo battery? I am in the process of putting a Garmin Kraken on my center console.
    Love it.. I got a Li time 36v 55ah to run my garmin force. Got it last fall so only a couple trips on it but (1) 33lb battery is doing what (3) 68lb batteries did. Wish I could use one for a starting battery to save more weight but Yamaha says not to with my outboard.

One shot

Feb 13, 2013
    southern Maryland
    Love it.. I got a Li time 36v 55ah to run my garmin force. Got it last fall so only a couple trips on it but (1) 33lb battery is doing what (3) 68lb batteries did. Wish I could use one for a starting battery to save more weight but Yamaha says not to with my outboard.
    I will be setting mine up using 24v. Did you buy the battery local?

Attachments

• polarcraft.jpg
      polarcraft.jpg
      683.7 KB · Views: 23

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I took the duck blind off of the boat this weekend, got the front-of-the-boat Garmin synced up with the console one, and put the trolling motor back on. So I'm gearing up for a fishing trip as soon as the rain stops long enough to let the rivers settle down, which doesn't appear to be any time soon.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I bought it from Amazon . Only thing local I could find was x2 lifepo4 and the 36v 60ah was well over $1k. I spent less than $400 and found tons of positive reviews and even a video on YouTube taking several brand of batteries apart before taking the plunge. Li time and time usb seem to be the most popular "off brands". We all know that only a few manufacturers of these batteries exist and they all get white labeled and sold under other names

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Go 36v the garmin is capable of either but 36v actually is the most efficient. Price difference between 24v and 36v battery isn't much. My boats a lot like your polar kraft I have a 20ft xpress center console @ 36v it will push me 4.5mph . I no longer use the outboard to troll even upriver.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Managed a pickerel on a classic Lazy Ike. My buddy gave me a couple of them from his deceased father's tackle. They needed a good cleaning, as they were super grungy and chalky. They cleaned up nice and still work apparently.
    View attachment 458430
    Where was this nice fish caught? Was it the only one? That is awesome that you caught him with that lure. It is a classic for sure.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I'm still doing some upgrades and a bit of new carpet on my boat. I bought a Helix 10 and a Mega 360. I feel like I'll need FFS like live scope in order to compete anymore though, even at the club level. We shall see.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm still doing some upgrades and a bit of new carpet on my boat. I bought a Helix 10 and a Mega 360. I feel like I'll need FFS like live scope in order to compete anymore though, even at the club level. We shall see.
    My fishing buddy just bought 2 helix 10s. 2 live scope transducers. He is gonna share them with his boat and kayak. Looks cool as shit on the kayak.

Speaking of batteries,FYI I ordered the 12V 135 AH battery from.dakaota lithium for my kayak trolling motor. They are back ordered until the end of March/early April...website doesn't mention that at all.

One shot

Feb 13, 2013
    southern Maryland
    Go 36v the garmin is capable of either but 36v actually is the most efficient. Price difference between 24v and 36v battery isn't much. My boats a lot like your polar kraft I have a 20ft xpress center console @ 36v it will push me 4.5mph . I no longer use the outboard to troll even upril

Go 36v the garmin is capable of either but 36v actually is the most efficient. Price difference between 24v and 36v battery isn't much. My boats a lot like your polar kraft I have a 20ft xpress center console @ 36v it will push me 4.5mph . I no longer use the outboard to troll even upriver.
    Thanks for the info. I will be going with the 36v. I have limited space under the console for the battery.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Thanks for the info. I will be going with the 36v. I have limited space under the console for the battery.
    If going lifep04 all you need is a single 36v 55ah or 60ah battery. Same size as a group 31. I've run it all day on the river and still had 65% capacity at the end of the day.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    planning on fishing at sebastian inlet pier below melbourne, florida tomorrow. never caught a snook so hoping for some of those, though you can only keep one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom