Want a AK LaRue Iron Dot? Well theres this!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    How do you install these? I have one coming in on Monday.

take the old rear sight off, pull out the leaf spring, slide the MI mount into place (where the normal sight would go) put one of the pins in the hole underneath (will make sense) and then tighten down the front set screw. then if you need to use the side screws to tighten it from side to side, and also you can use the rear screw to adjust elevation.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    take the old rear sight off, pull out the leaf spring, slide the MI mount into place (where the normal sight would go) put one of the pins in the hole underneath (will make sense) and then tighten down the front set screw. then if you need to use the side screws to tighten it from side to side, and also you can use the rear screw to adjust elevation.

That makes sense when I look at that video. Thanks!

Watch the youtube video in the post above yours. It's not only a review - but they show how to install the sight. Looks pretty easy.

I saw that after I posted. I don't usually click on random youtube links so I don't get rick-rolled again :rolleyes:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    BTW, there is a set screw that keeps the rear sight from moving that needs to be tightened/loctited. After 80 rounds of sighting in, my rear sight slid off.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    BTW, there is a set screw that keeps the rear sight from moving that needs to be tightened/loctited. After 80 rounds of sighting in, my rear sight slid off.

I will update that Im not a fan of this product anymore. M.I. makes some fantatic products but I think this one missed the boat for any serious use. I have seen on my rifle the same thing Jimbobborg just mentioned.

If you have a range AK, its fine, but any hard hits or bumps can result in whats mentioned above. Theres too many adjustments to come loose.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Well that's two negative reviews. :tdown:
    I really liked the idea of mounting a RDS on an AK without going to a side mount or different dust cover. Maybe they'll refine this product and make it more reliable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well that's two negative reviews. :tdown:
    I really liked the idea of mounting a RDS on an AK without going to a side mount or different dust cover. Maybe they'll refine this product and make it more reliable.

It just a hard area to install something. I have a Larue Irondot and it moved around too. I had to weld the sides and fot it to the Front Trunnion/RSB on my AK.

Theres always a TWS or AKARS Top Cover, but I dont trust these either, they move regardless of what people claim.

The good choices are Midwest Industries Optic Specific Rail System, Ultimak, or an Aimpoint Low Profile Side Mount.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I will update that Im not a fan of this product anymore. M.I. makes some fantatic products but I think this one missed the boat for any serious use. I have seen on my rifle the same thing Jimbobborg just mentioned.

If you have a range AK, its fine, but any hard hits or bumps can result in whats mentioned above. Theres too many adjustments to come loose.

And it wasn't mentioned in the video on how to put it together. Mine is pretty centered now, I'm thinking of soldering it into place. Is that a valid plan?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    And it wasn't mentioned in the video on how to put it together. Mine is pretty centered now, I'm thinking of soldering it into place. Is that a valid plan?

We think alike. unfortunately the solder will not stick to the midwest industries alloy, well at least to my liking anyway. I tried.

What I ended up doing was using steel bedding. in the future if you decide to remove it you can just use a punch and chip the betting out.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We think alike. unfortunately the solder will not stick to the midwest industries alloy, well at least to my liking anyway. I tried.

What I ended up doing was using steel bedding. in the future if you decide to remove it you can just use a punch and chip the betting out.

Would JB weld work? :lol:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've decided on the Ultimak Rail for my purposes/usage. Any reason to go with the version with vent holes (M2B) versus the one without (M1B)?

The one with the holes works best with a spond suppressor and vents excess gas. If you dont have the holes and have a sound suppressor mounted you will get punched with gas in the face.

All of my AK's take a Silencer (Sound Suppressor)

If yours dont have holes wether it be a standard gas tube or ultimak, you can add the vents.

dpmd

Apr 2, 2010
    Montgomery County
    The one with the holes works best with a spond suppressor and vents excess gas. If you dont have the holes and have a sound suppressor mounted you will get punched with gas in the face.

All of my AK's take a Silencer (Sound Suppressor)

Thanks! I won't be running suppressed for a while. In the meantime, any issues with the hot gasses venting near the support hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom