• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I worked there quite a few years ago. A lot of things have changed since...however, the range itself really has not been changed at all (to my understanding, over the next three years they plan to do major overhaul to it, but major range work is hard to do given the downtime means lost profit). Some of the employees are very competent and very enjoyable to deal with...some are the polar opposite.

The place would become a madhouse on weekends and so it would be difficult to serve everyone promptly...you could have all 14 lanes being used with another 14 lanes worth of customers waiting to get on and shopping. Like any other dealer, some guns were ridiculously priced and others were the best prices around...it all depended on whom you are buying from, how much volume you move to get quantity discounts, and how much you get hit for shipping. Gun prices from wholesalers can fluctuate more than one would first think (or at least than what I thought), and the markups really aren't very high from a percentage perspective given you may sell a $900 gun and the final profit is $100-$175 (markups on used guns are much greater than new, much like cars). They were Sig factory direct and so they had amazing deals on them, especially CPOs and special orders (when I was there, you could get 228 CPOs for like $500-ish). Not being direct with Glock, their Glock prices were higher than others.

The issue of people doing stupid things on ranges was and is always a problem, and it can detract from customer service (it shouldn't, but it does). The weekend rush made it hard to have time for detailed phone conversations...some people were much more courteous than others... I assume the store expansion is designed to offset this as people working the range should really be working the range and other people should be handling customer service, sales, and phone calls to better serve customers, so their expansion and split of the range and showroom should help better manage flow. Another issue at Continental (and most gun stores for that matter) is that the people with the greatest technical/service knowledge often are not the greatest people when it comes to customer service. They may know a ton, but not be good at positively relaying information, and that's bad for business given someone could care less about technical knowledge if they are being treated poorly. Whenever I've shot there in recent time, I've had no complaints.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I stopped by today just to ask what date they had received NDs from. First week of May, by the way. While there I heard their new early releases policy. They will ship your gun to Duffys where you will go and do your paperwork and then pay Duffy's 50 dollars.
    The place was a ghost town. Everyone who was there walked out w/o buying

They were also giving terrible advice concerning which shotguns would be banned on Oct 1

Last edited:

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    First off, I want to thank MDShooters members for their overwhelming support; you guys and gals are great to deal with, and I sincerely appreciate your business.

Our policy concerning transfers from Continental, or other dealers who are not releasing, is currently under revision.

Initially, some customers inquired about transferring their guns to our shop since they have been waiting for months. As previously stated, we do not accept unsolicited transfers. I am now anticipating the arrival of guns for which other local dealers have not even submitted paperwork. We never made any form of agreement to do so, which leaves me curious as to why they are informing people that we will take on the legwork for their sales. We do not have the capacity or intent to become a vehicle for other dealers' sales at this time. I trust you folks understand our position, and we will keep you updated once we have found an acceptable solution.

Thanks again for all your support.

Last edited:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks for weighing in on this.

The salesman working this afternoon explained this pollicy to a potential customer while I was standing there. All she asked was how she could get her pistol before 10/1. He told the very next customer that all pistol grip shotguns would be banned. He seemed to just be pulling stuff out of his butt. Same kind of thing was going on when I was there a week ago.

As I said. What a ghost town . Just the two customers ahead of me and a couple of shooters at the range

He also told the first customer the handgun she was looking at would not be available for sale in MD after Sept 15.

I know it makes my head hurt too

Kevin

Manager at Duffy's
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2013
    Sparks, MD
    Many of our customers over the past month have expressed a concern about not receiving their firearm before Oct. 1st, and many have put off buying regulated firearms from us because they had a gun in limbo elsewhere. We have verbally offered customers from other stores a reduced rate, though we feel we need to make a specific policy outline so that our position is clear and the fees are upfront.

----

DUFFY'S CURRENT POLICY FOR TRANSFERS FROM OTHER MARYLAND STORES:
    *as of September 1st, 2013*

Updated, moved to own post so multiple versions wouldn't be floating around.
    Please see http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=130241 for most up to date policy

Thanks,
    The team at Duffy's
    www.duffysguns.com

Last edited:

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Was at Continental yesterday afternoon & both the range & the showroom were very busy. In fact one of the Ravens stopped in to ask some questions.

Everyone was polite, with all of the customers seeming to be satisfied.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Im not trying to bash anyone here, but I just heard back from a friend that they received a phone call from Baltimore County Police about their visit to Continental Arms. I was a patron of theirs and bought a suppressor and quite a few guns from them, but I will not return there knowing that they release information like that to the police.

They just lost one customer and I recommended to my friend never to return there again.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Im not trying to bash anyone here, but I just heard back from a friend that they received a phone call from Baltimore County Police about their visit to Continental Arms. I was a patron of theirs and bought a suppressor and quite a few guns from them, but I will not return there knowing that they release information like that to the police.

They just lost one customer and I recommended to my friend never to return there again.

Perhaps you can elaborate on the subject of the phone call. Like what were they inquiring about? Sounds like your friend is a little sketchy....

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Perhaps you can elaborate on the subject of the phone call. Like what were they inquiring about? Sounds like your friend is a little sketchy....

No, I wont elaborate. This person is not sketchy and it was nothing preventing them from owning a firearm. Its really no different from when they were contacting people who's names appeared on ammo logs. They basically went on a fishing trip to invade someones privacy. You can take it how you want, I'm sorry that I will not elaborate but I don't want to divulge information about this person.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

Records typically aren't "handed over". The police typically get a court order to review the records and the ranges comply with said court order.

I'm sure every range in the state gets their rental records checked and it's likely several times a year.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Records typically aren't "handed over". The police typically get a court order to review the records and the ranges comply with said court order.

I'm sure every range in the state gets their rental records checked and it's likely several times a year.

Is that like how there's typically an ammo log at some gun stores, and that ammo log gets checked several times a year?

In all seriousness. Without a court order, are ranges obligated to turn over records to the police of when they rent firearms? I dont know of any such law and I am really curious (not trolling here) I understand if that is the case, but I dont know that is?

I dont want to sit here and bait you and tell you little by little and dangle small bits of information like im teasing, but trust me this was a LOOOONG time after and there was absolutely no reason for a court order.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Is that like how there's typically an ammo log at some gun stores, and that ammo log gets checked several times a year?

In all seriousness. Without a court order, are ranges obligated to turn over records to the police of when they rent firearms? I dont know of any such law and I am really curious (not trolling here) I understand if that is the case, but I dont know that is?

I dont want to sit here and bait you and tell you little by little and dangle small bits of information like im teasing, but trust me this was a LOOOONG time after and there was absolutely no reason for a court order.

I'm not here to debate the topic nor do I own a range nor do I work for a range in the state.

I can not speak for this incident but I do know the often times do get court orders for the range records and they see how many prohibited persons are going and renting guns to practice.

I really could care less about your buddy or your thoughts on the matter. I really could care less about this shop or their range as I do not use it. But it's not like this range felt something was "odd" with your buddy and turned him in or anything like you made it seem.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    But it's not like this range felt something was "odd" with your buddy and turned him in or anything like you made it seem.

I honestly dont think thats what happened. I think someone asked them for records to look for prohibited people and didnt find anyone so they started fishing. She is not prohibited at all. What really shocked me was that it was Baltimore County, not the MSP. That sort of stuff I expect from MSP but what buisness is it of Baltimore County Police Department? It just seems odd to me.

Is that something that they regularly do? Just collect records and start calling around? I would be kind of irritated if they harassed me like that personally. I would also be upset that someone gave them ammo...

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I really could care less about your buddy or your thoughts on the matter. I really could care less about this shop or their range as I do not use it. But it's not like this range felt something was "odd" with your buddy and turned him in or anything like you made it seem.

This is what I was getting at. And the added mystery about not divulging details...doesn't exactly make continental the sketchy one. There is a reason your friend was checked out, and you know it. I dont think any gun range wants police or ATF sniffing about and im SURE they dont have time to start randomly singling people out private information. Sounds like your friend was being investigated. Illegal activity that takes place or allegedly takes place IS the business of BCoPD. But with your reluctance to elaborate, this is speculation. Not accusing your friend of anything, just calling it how I see it. Take it as you will.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What difference does it make if it's MSP, Baltimore County, or the ATF? They all have jurisdiction and can charge and investigate in the area.

The only person that can give you the explanation you are looking for is the Detective that called. They know why they called. Other then that it's all guessing games with no answers. It's safe to say not everyone who goes gets a call from the police or people would likely stop going....eh?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Do they still not allow magazines with bullets in them?

It's been years since I have found any range, gun shop, or even police officer that still incorrectly understands that magazines are not loaded weapons.

Where's that letter from the MD Lt. Attorney General? :)

Otherwise, the people I spoke with there were very friendly and the show-room was very nice. I'd revisit, as long as they don't have a no ccw gun policy, or no bullets in magazines policy. Isn't that like biting the hand that feeds you?

bite-the-hand.jpg

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Baltimore County is widely known to subpoena range records for investigative purposes. A simple Google search will reveal this on various lawyers' websites. They routinely go through them in order to find those who should not be around firearms. I don't know if your friend is prohibited or not, but obviously the county police felt there was something there that warranted the phone call.

The ammo log is different. Ranges have records of people who shoot there for insurance purposes; the state's attorney knows this. On the other hand, the "ammo log" is completely "voluntary." If there is no ammo log, there is nothing to subpoena. If a range decided not to have waiver forms, the police would have nothing to investigate. As far as I know, there is nothing in the law that requires a range to have a waiver.

The particular incident discussed here is not unique to Continental.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Do they still not allow magazines with bullets in them?

It's been years since I have found any range, gun shop, or even police officer that still incorrectly understands that magazines are not loaded weapons.

Where's that letter from the MD Lt. Attorney General? :)

Otherwise, the people I spoke with there were very friendly and the show-room was very nice. I'd revisit, as long as they don't have a no ccw gun policy, or no bullets in magazines policy. Isn't that like biting the hand that feeds you?

bite-the-hand.jpg

Continental still retains a no loaded magazine policy unless you display a Maryland Handgun Permit. They now state it is their policy rather than the law, however some there will insist that it is the law. Most, at least recently, use the line that it is safer to travel with them unloaded in case you run into a poorly informed LEO.

They allow anyone with a Maryland CCW to carry concealed as long as you inform them at the front. Some employees are known to make a point about whatever restrictions are found on them saying, "You shouldn't be carrying."

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Continental still retains a no loaded magazine policy unless you display a Maryland Handgun Permit. They now state it is their policy rather than the law, however some there will insist that it is the law. Most, at least recently, use the line that it is safer to travel with them unloaded in case you run into a poorly informed LEO.

They allow anyone with a Maryland CCW to carry concealed as long as you inform them at the front. Some employees are known to make a point about whatever restrictions are found on them saying, "You shouldn't be carrying."

Excellent update thanks!

Too bad, but it sounds like they are slowly coming around. Their shop their rules; my money, my pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom