• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The HQL - Your Plans

Votes: 127 35.9%
    • Wait until I have something I want to buy, the suck it up.

Votes: 96 27.1%
    • No way. No HQL for me.

Votes: 95 26.8%
    • I'm moving out of MD and escaping all of this.

Votes: 36 10.2%

• Total voters

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I will not file any paperwork with this state, period! They are after guns, that is clear and I plan on being set until I can move out of this commie state, which will be a good while yet. The recent handling of applicants paperwork should be an eye opener if you haven't opened them yet!!

I have what I have, I will build what I can build without advising the State or Feds and that is it!

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I don't think I agree with this, although I completely appreciate where you are coming from on it.

Here is how I see it - they want to ban ALL GUNS PERIOD.

They know they can never get there because of the 2A.

But if they can make it difficult enough to buy and sell guns in Maryland, and undermine the economics of the LGS in the state so they all go out of business, they can largely achieve indirectly what the 2A clearly says they can't achieve directly.

If we don't keep the LGS alive - honestly it doesn't much matter what the laws are anymore at that point. If the only way you can get a gun of any kind in Maryland is through an out-of-state transfer by a non-stocking FFL for $200 a gun - smoke 'em while you got 'em.

Whatever room they leave us, we should run with it. Doesn't mean we endorse what they have done, but this is multi-front war - it is about $$$ just as much as it is about the Constitution.

I posted my opinion on dealers in other thread but still. What were all these shops selling before the government induced craze? They sure as shit were not selling crates of Glocks every week like now. You don't need a store to keep your FFL. The ones that provide good CS will stay in business. you want to keep your shop in business. Do what I'm doing, start buying long guns and components from them.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Anyone that gets the HQL, trains people for it or consents in any way is helping the State suppress your rights.

Since there is no other legal way to get a handgun, it can equally be argued not getting an HQL is giving Omalley exactly what he wants, a de facto ban on handgun sales in Maryland.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Undecided. Part of me wants to clog their system with paperwork for the lawsuit. Part of me says hell no they can't have my fingerprints in a criminal database. Not like I'm going have budget for any new toys the rest of the year either.

I'm in the same boat plus adding the option of moving.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Looks to me, after reading the responses in this thread, Owe'Malley has won...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk 2

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Since there is no other legal way to get a handgun, it can equally be argued not getting an HQL is giving Omalley exactly what he wants, a de facto ban on handgun sales in Maryland.

I believe what we are going to see is that when this gets to court the Administration is going to have a strong case that none of this law imposes any undue burden upon the citizens of the state. It's going to be no big deal. He will be able to show the courts the firearms community was perfectly willing to step up and fill the requirements of the State for the HQL alleviating the State from its burden of providing the process and training. The State will also be able to show by the numbers of people rushing to get the HQL that there is no resistance to the idea and hence no undue burden to it's citizens that this is an issue. I'll also predict that the numbers they will use will be a "normalized" number based on past trends, not the current frenzy.

Edit" Meaning that the State can show that the normal numbers of purchases are being made according to trends, not this frenzy buying. I think that's also what's going to happen with any more delays by the State in processing apps. This is "just a bump" from all the deadline apps give us a month or so we are doing due diligence your honor.

It bothers me that many of the organizations "fighting" for our rights think more tactical than strategic. I got news, Maryland is going to go the way of Chicago for years if not decades before this gets turned around. We all sit here and think oh a court case is going to save us, or this politician or that thing. 90% of Marylander's don't give a shit about this issue and don't read MDshooters. And until the pain is spread across the board to regular people nothing is going to happen.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I'm applying for the HQL asap. Not because I have any money left after the pre-Oct1 rush to buy anything, but I figure it'll take 4-6 months to process and work through the MD bureaucracy. I may have part of a tax refund by that time to play with.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    And your alternative is for people in Maryland to just not by anymore handguns from this day forward???

Yeah! THAT'LL show'em!
    :sad20:

My last official act of defiance for the month of September will be to pick up my Super Blackhawk .44 magnum on the 30th. My first official act of defiance for the month of October will be to submit my application for my HQL. (Assuming it's available on the 1st.) My first official act for the month of November (hopefully) will be to purchase my first post-Oct 1st handgun.

Ironically, had this not all come about, it probably would have been a long time before I bought another handgun. But even though I really do have "all that I NEED", because they are now trying to stop me, "I WANT more" and will buy them now, JUST to prove a point!.

So this session there will be a bill that requires additional training and a stamp on your HQL card that allows you to buy ammunition in calibers .223 and above for use in regulated firearms. It will pass by the same ways and means SB281 passed. You going to run out and get it "Just to show them". Show them what? That they can pass anything and you will obey? Why does a vision of a frog pop into my mind.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. The purpose of the law is to prevent people from becoming firearms owners. NOT HELPING them is aiding the state to suppress our rights.

Once you start calling names you lose the argument.

Here is one:
    A kapo or prisoner functionary (German: Funktionshäftling) was a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp who was assigned by the SS guards to supervise forced labor or carry out administrative tasks in the camp. Also called "prisoner self-administration", the prisoner functionary system minimized costs by allowing camps to function with fewer SS personnel. The system was also designed to turn victim against victim, as the prisoner functionaries were pitted against their fellow prisoners in order to maintain the favor of their SS guards.

Ok now we are even so let’s have a discussion.

Why don't the orgs cool their jets and ask the community to sit on its collective asses for a year and let the courts handle a few things before everyone rushes out and tries to make it right? Most of the people on here already admitted to blowing their savings on firearms this past couple of months, maybe you should chill out for a year. We still have folks that are like if I can't buy my 22nd 1911 I'll just die, who does that serve?

I've been torn up for saying this but if you didn’t see this coming and get ready for it according to your own personal needs and goals you have been looking in the wrong direction on the railroad tracks.

I’ve dealt with legislative stuff for ten years, been around the block. I was in Annapolis this spring, hell this past fall. We all saw what was coming and the sensible among us did what I did, I went home after Frosh’s initial hearing and had a sit down with the CFO and said this is the plan because this is coming. We are picking up our last regulated purchase this Friday.

We all like to thump our chests about the liberty tree but we forget that it is generally watered by the blood of more patriots than tyrants. At this moment ANYTHING we do to ameliorate the impact of SB281 in the short term is going to help the Administration’s case against us. There is plenty that can be done to work against this, helping the State make its case is not one of them.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I for one am planning on getting one.

A) A right not exercised is a right lost. It doesn't matter how many guns I buy or not*, so long as I have the right to.

B) It's harder to make a case against the HQL in court if nobody bothers applying.

*The exception to this is, of course, the dramatic economic hit that Maryland gun dealers are going to take. But, realistically, I'm not going to buy any more guns in the near future thanks to my pre-SB281 splurges. Not much I can do about that without seriously compromising my own finances.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    That sounds mighty familiar...:(

I'll get a HQL when I get around to it.

this ^

SB281 did serious damage to my bank account, it will take me a while to recover, once I do, i'll probably get an HQL, only because I can't get out of the state at this point, at least not for another year

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    Neither my wife nor myself will pay the HQL tax for exercising a constitutional right. We will sooner not purchase new firearms until the law is repealed or we move to a state that doesn't violate constitutional law.

"No, Not a Sixpence!"

Don't have the money for anything, but if I did have money to buy a firearm, it will be long guns only. I get what you all are saying about not buying handguns being what the gun grabbers want, and it hurting LGS, but the LGS still sell long guns don't they? I don't own a handgun, (though I always wanted an S&W model 13) and as long as this crap is in effect, I will not.

I am not going to be put in some database as if I'm some sort of pedophile! My grandfather didn't stand up against the Japanese, the North Korean and Chinese Communists, and Bull Connor just so his grandchildren could get stripped of their civil rights by the likes of Owe Maolley! I refuse to pay a fee for my rights! I refuse to apply for a license to exercise an individual right! I refuse to kowtow to totalitarians and their wish to treat me and other supporters of the 2nd Amendment like dirt! They can all burn in the infernal region for all I care, and they can take their license and shove it up their behind, assuming there is any room left since their heads are so far up there that they can perform their own colonoscopy!

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    So this session there will be a bill that requires additional training and a stamp on your HQL card that allows you to buy ammunition in calibers .223 and above for use in regulated firearms. It will pass by the same ways and means SB281 passed. You going to run out and get it "Just to show them". Show them what? That they can pass anything and you will obey? Why does a vision of a frog pop into my mind.

Again.... The alternative is?????

Just not buy the kind of ammo they don't want me to buy?

Seriously. (you neglected to answer the first time) What IS the alternative?

If you think that refusing to buy certain types of guns and certain types of ammo is not playing right into their plans of disarming the citizens, you may want to consider that perhaps you are the one on "simmer".
    :innocent0

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Again.... The alternative is?????

Just not buy the kind of ammo they don't want me to buy?

Seriously. (you neglected to answer the first time) What IS the alternative?

If you think that refusing to buy certain types of guns and certain types of ammo is not playing right into their plans of disarming the citizens, you may want to consider that perhaps you are the one on "simmer".
    :innocent0

See my response in #72 starting at have a discussion and #69.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    See my response in #72 starting at have a discussion and #69.

Well, I suppose one could just sit idly by and wait for the courts to solve it. But that will likely take more than the year that you suggest.

In the mean time they get their way with us. even if only temporarily. And that is $#!+, up with which, I will not put!

Yes. "They" will say, "See! It's not that hard to be licensed! Marylanders have accepted it!"

OTOH, if we do what you say and just stop buying the stuff they don't want us to have, "they" will just say, "See! Marylanders don't really need handguns/.223/whatever. If they did, they would have gone through the minor inconvenience to get it."

Point is, not matter WHAT we do, they will try to spin it in their direction.

In the mean time, I will continue to acquire what is rightfully allowed to be mine to acquire. And if I have to put forth the effort to jump through their hoops, I will do it - with my middle finger raised the whole time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom