• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The HQL - Your Plans

Votes: 127 35.9%
    • Wait until I have something I want to buy, the suck it up.

Votes: 96 27.1%
    • No way. No HQL for me.

Votes: 95 26.8%
    • I'm moving out of MD and escaping all of this.

Votes: 36 10.2%

• Total voters

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    As much as it aggrivates me, I will be applying for the HQL as soon as I can. It sucks having to jump thru more hoops in order to purchase another handgun but I refuse to let them keep me from making another purchase if I choose to.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Probably get one at some point but met of my interests are c&r so I'm in no hurry and will look again when the dust settles

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I can't believe the people who say they won't apply for an HQL. I can't believe they really couldn't scrape up a few bucks for an application. If you don't, you play right into their arms. "We approve 90+% of the CC permits applied for". Of course you do, because we're all smart enough to know they're impossible to get. That will soon become "We have approved 90+% of the HQL's that have been applied for". Of course you have, because no one has applied.

The one thing we've seen in the last few decades is the the incredible success of abuse of the system. Call it Cloward-Piven, call it reductio ad absurdum, call it flooding the zone. Whatever you call it, it's the single most powerful political tactic at work today.

If we don't, we are acquiescing in the theft of our rights, while meekly protesting that there's nothing for us to do because 1) we're too poor, 2) we aren't required to have one, 3) we're probably going to move, 4) they have no moral authority to make us get one, or 5) we're not sure why, but we know we have a really good reason.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I and my wife both will be applying on Oct 1st. We will not stop buying handguns just because MOM wants us to. Yes it's $50 down the drain just as we knew our fees to apply for carry permits was likely a lost cause, but I will spend the money as a FU to MOM.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Once you start calling names you lose the argument.

First off, learn your references......Even brilliant people have been know to say idiotic things. You are obviously no idiot, regardless of your goodwin's law violations. :D

The second amendment is an enumerated fundamental right because it is key to the protection of both life and liberty. The state is trying to deny that right to the poor and minorities in particular. People who are forced by circumstance to live in crime ridden neighborhoods, the single mother fleeing an abusive relationship, and many others. We should let them live in fear to prove a point to the state?

Every one of them we can help purchase a firearm for personal protection becomes a pro second amendment voter.

Every person we can help is a statistic proving an undue burden on the exercise of the right- especially if they can attest to their inability to due it without help.

They are also voters in districts we currently do not carry (especially if we conduct voter registration in conjunction with training). Our issues are their issues. That puts the fear of the polls into the hearts of the politicians passing these blatantly unconstitutional laws.

Will we fight them in the courts? of course. There is the old saying that justice delayed is justice denied. The delays associated with acquiring an HQL are not theoretical and are not cost free- I sadly expect that it will cost the lives of people who needed to be able to protect themselves now and not at the states convenience.

Now, let's move to the idea of a protest that consists of current regulated firearms owners refusing to buy any regulated firearms. How much business does that drain from our local FFL's and IP's? How long can they coast on residual profits from the last few months of panic buying? How many staff will they have to lay off to keep the brick and mortar open while you are proving your point to the state?

Once your protest is over will there be any gun shops left where you can purchase a regulated firearm? Will we be able to replace the trained gunsmiths that have had to move out of state to support their families?

Look at the big picture of what the purpose of this law is....make gun ownership so inconvenient that current gun owners leave the state, new gun owners can not be recruited to replace them and second amendment supports shrink to the extent that their full ban agenda can sail through. Strategic thinking requires keeping the big picture in mind.

I will not be getting my HQL until I need it. I will however be busting my butt making sure everyone who needs one can get it with the minimum level of inconvenience possible.

I also intend to support John Josselyn's Take Back Maryland PAC to ensure as many of the people that voted for this abomination end up in the unemployment lines as is humanly possible.

These are my opinions alone and not those of any organization I may be affiliated with

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I know I moved, but if I still lived in MD I'd get an HQL. I'm a shooter and a gunsmith.... so I would have to.

But I knew what kind of sh!tstorm was coming, which is why I fled across the Potomac. But I'm still in MD in spirit and will always do what I can to help the cause.

After today's hearing I felt deflated and defeated. Even though my personal rights are more secure, I have close friends that are having their businesses severely affected and work in the industry with you guys in MD. I can only sit and hope the lawsuits will put some chinks in their armor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 23, 2013
    The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land.

I plan to do all I can to overturn this crap.

I'm with you, I plan to make as much noise as I can until this crap is tossed out along with the buttweasels that passed it. It's an invalid law because it's in direct conflict with the highest law in the land. It's unfortunate it was passed by ignorant imbeciles to begin with and now it's going to have to be overturned in the courts which will take far longer than it takes for anyone to get HQLs. If the courts in The Peoples' Republic of Maryland don't turn it around, it'll have to go the SCOTUS. I suspect they'll kill the illegal law since they've already ruled in favor the 2A. Then we can all point at the sewage in Annapolis and laugh.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    "Justice delayed is justice denied"

I agree! When we volunteer to teach HQL classes and volunteer to pay the fees and attend the classes so we can buy firearms we hurt any chance of winning in court. MOM will say "see they're lined up to take my class and pay my fee, it must not be a burden!".
    On the other hand if there are no instructors and no classes and no one willing to pay the fees then the result is our rights being denied. In my mind this helps a case.

I think the best thing that could happen is that thousands applied for a HQL but there were no instructors or classes. And maybe thousands of applications sent with no fee.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with having my fingerprints in a criminal database. What's next DNA samples?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'll pay to play hoping there will be a refund clause or follow on lawsuit to get the funds returned once the law is overturned.

I like where I live but hate the state of Maryland anymore.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    I'm only getting it to frame and hang on my wall. I hope it is a nice looking document. All that work the grabbers, law makers, administrators and enforcers have to go through and all I'm going to do is just display it in a frame on my wall. It's worth the admission ($50?) and ink on my fingers just to see the look on one of their faces (if chance should arrive) when I tell them what I did with my HQL and what they COULD have done with it.:D

BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD
    Has anyone from MSI provided a recommendation as to what would help planned litigation?

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I and my wife both will be applying on Oct 1st. We will not stop buying handguns just because MOM wants us to. Yes it's $50 down the drain just as we knew our fees to apply for carry permits was likely a lost cause, but I will spend the money as a FU to MOM.

No different than all the down the drain transfer fees I paid - many of which were $50 FFL +$10 MSP.

So think of it as another transfer fee that is good for 10 years - not just one purchase.

Of course their is also the one time fee for fingerprints - I guess my fingerprints were good enough to get me a tour of duty: Vietnam, but no longer good enough (digital age) for handgun license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom