Shooting with Night Vision? NGVs or NV scope? IR lasers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you want something helmet-mounted that will quick-detach, the High Tech Redneck mount system is probably the best bet, paired with a PVS-14.

Link to mount

You're still on the hook for a PVS-14 though. ;)

oy vey....they have a high opinion of those rigs. ouch.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    If you want something helmet-mounted that will quick-detach, the High Tech Redneck mount system is probably the best bet, paired with a PVS-14.

Link to mount

You're still on the hook for a PVS-14 though. ;)

I went with the TNVC mount and Aimpoint base and was pleasantly surprised with it.

http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-tm14-pvs-14-weapon-mount/

You're right about being on the hook for the PVS-14 though. But it seems to be worth it if you can swing it. Very versatile and high quality.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    The PVS-14 setup is capable of being mounted in front and behind multiple types of optics. Just for kicks, I temp mounted it on my M4 in front of the ACOG and it worked like a charm. However, I still have yet to fire anything with the tube installed. That was something else to take into consideration was if the NVD is capable of handling the recoil of whatever it is mounted to. Not every NVD can handle the recoil of 7.62 but are just fine on smaller caliber rifles like the 5.56.

I'm curious if you ever got to put some rounds downrange with the PVS-14 front mounted? I've heard lots of talk about huge POI shifts and insufficent light at the day optic so never tried it myself, but if you've had good results I'd give it a go.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I'm curious if you ever got to put some rounds downrange with the PVS-14 front mounted? I've heard lots of talk about huge POI shifts and insufficent light at the day optic so never tried it myself, but if you've had good results I'd give it a go.

Wish I had some feedback for you on that one. I still haven't gone shooting at all since I moved to NM since September.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    I went with the TNVC mount and Aimpoint base and was pleasantly surprised with it.

http://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-tm14-pvs-14-weapon-mount/

You're right about being on the hook for the PVS-14 though. But it seems to be worth it if you can swing it. Very versatile and high quality.

What kind of BUIS do you run with that mount? I've got the LaRue PVS-14 QD mount which is awesome except just a little too short to clear my rear sight.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    What kind of BUIS do you run with that mount? I've got the LaRue PVS-14 QD mount which is awesome except just a little too short to clear my rear sight.

With the setup currently installed on the SCAR 16, it's the sights that came with the rifle. They work quite well with the PVS-14 removed. However, with the rear sight folded down, there's perfect clearance when the PVS-14 is installed sitting right over top of the sight. And with the mount, it sits on a pivot pin and is twisted into place and locks pretty solid. I looked at the Larue mount but wanted something that detached quickly to swap out between my helmet and the rifle. And from what I understood after calling them, their mount just allowed for the tube to be swung to the side. I hope that made sense.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    With the setup currently installed on the SCAR 16, it's the sights that came with the rifle. They work quite well with the PVS-14 removed. However, with the rear sight folded down, there's perfect clearance when the PVS-14 is installed sitting right over top of the sight. And with the mount, it sits on a pivot pin and is twisted into place and locks pretty solid. I looked at the Larue mount but wanted something that detached quickly to swap out between my helmet and the rifle. And from what I understood after calling them, their mount just allowed for the tube to be swung to the side. I hope that made sense.

Thanks for the info. The LaRue mount I have is a quick detach as well, rather than a swing mount - flip the lever and the whole thing comes off. It's a great mount, just a bit too short for my sights.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Guys, I think I might pick up one of these Fero Z51s for now. I hear this is about the best you can do with a Gen I NV. I have a MG3 and HK... so mounting solutions are nice. Anyone think its a bad idea? I think I should be able to shoot 100 yards with this setup?

http://www.copesdistributing.com/zeisseltro-orion-fero-night-vision-scope-p-7820.html

NVS2.jpg

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    This is my GenII Armasight clipon. They are starting to creep down in price. Still about $1,700-1,900 depending on where you look. I see the FLIR now has thermal sighs for under $3,500.00. If they ever get to sub $2k I think I would jump to the thermal sight.

SBR00173.jpg

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Since my last post here I've had something like 60 hours under NODs. 2 of them were live fire in a class, the rest in simulated force of force stuff. In my opinion, the way to go is helmet mounted. You preserve you mobility without having to keep your rifle presented. Your overall situational awareness is orders of magnitude better. You also technically don't need a laser (although they are very very helpful) is you can use the Bindon aiming concept like people do with magnified trijcons. I managed to do it for a bit when the batteries for my laser ran out (and I forgot I was using 123a's in a batuca as a counterweight) and had some success with it. Seriously though, the IR laser is child's play.

On rifle options aren't a big issue defending a static position, barricaded shooting combined with a lack of actually having to run around means that you don't need the advantages a helmet mounted provides.

Edit: Apparently you can't actually shoot out distances with the BAC. There's something like a 30degree shift because of the tube length that means you're way off if you're shooting at something other than paper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom