Shooting with Night Vision? NGVs or NV scope? IR lasers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    IMG_20161021_183904001.jpg

Well its taken a while but I am ready for this year's Night shoots!

Added a TNVC PVS14 GenIII White Phosphor NG, NV EOtech, ATPIAL-C IR laser, 11.5" barrel on a Aero Precision upper. M16 lower so no SBR issue. PVS-14 mounts to gun and helmet. I also have a 3X magnifier for the PVS-14.

Next year I am thinking of adding an XPS2 Eotech which is a little taller and fits the system better, Omega Suppressor, Surefire IR/White light weapon mounted Flashlight.... Maybe more.

I will let you know how it goes!

Sure was not cheap... I think I have a MG worth of NV gear on that MG... :)

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    So I am wondering why you are mounting your optic to the rifle when you have a NVG capable laser? Im not sharpshooting here just wondering and I'm asking because every time i have shot at night in the military, I have had PSQ-20b's mounted on my helmet and and my PEQ on the rifle zeroed. I have hit targets during night qual out to 300 with no problem. Just wondering. BTW sweet gear i am jealous i don't have it for my personal collection i still borrow uncle same shit..

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    So I am wondering why you are mounting your optic to the rifle when you have a NVG capable laser? Im not sharpshooting here just wondering and I'm asking because every time i have shot at night in the military, I have had PSQ-20b's mounted on my helmet and and my PEQ on the rifle zeroed. I have hit targets during night qual out to 300 with no problem. Just wondering. BTW sweet gear i am jealous i don't have it for my personal collection i still borrow uncle same shit..

Well, it was relatively cheap option. The weapons mount was like $100 more when ordering the NV. I plan to run the helmet rig most of the time but who knows which way will be more fun... well now I will find out.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    View attachment 188840

Well its taken a while but I am ready for this year's Night shoots!

Added a TNVC PVS14 GenIII White Phosphor NG, NV EOtech, ATPIAL-C IR laser, 11.5" barrel on a Aero Precision upper. M16 lower so no SBR issue. PVS-14 mounts to gun and helmet. I also have a 3X magnifier for the PVS-14.

Next year I am thinking of adding an XPS2 Eotech which is a little taller and fits the system better, Omega Suppressor, Surefire IR/White light weapon mounted Flashlight.... Maybe more.

I will let you know how it goes!

Sure was not cheap... I think I have a MG worth of NV gear on that MG... :)

Sweet!

:thumbsup:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

You know I got that SLR adjustable gas block... Installed nicely and turned it all the way down.

Finally good the gun out to shoot... first shot and the gun did not cycle... as the horror set in that I did not have an Allen wrench with me and so had a single shot MG!!! I got very lucky and someone else had one... but thats exactly why I don't see it as a solution for suppressor use. I would never remember that damn Allen wrench.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You know I got that SLR adjustable gas block... Installed nicely and turned it all the way down.

Finally good the gun out to shoot... first shot and the gun did not cycle... as the horror set in that I did not have an Allen wrench with me and so had a single shot MG!!! I got very lucky and someone else had one... but thats exactly why I don't see it as a solution for suppressor use. I would never remember that damn Allen wrench.

That can be a problem.

The wrench stays with my rifles. Attached to the handguard or the stock.

Every one of my rifles has a clearing rod, tools, and oil on/in the gun.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    With a website that nice... I hate to ask the price!

I will have to post an updated picture of what I am running.

Somewhere in the 5 to 7 hundred dollar range. What I liked is Day and night (IR) and starlight option. Recorded to an SD card. With CCD chips it has opened up a whole new world.

Last edited:

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I recently picked up the 3-14 and my review is positive. It seems a good value for what I paid for it. It has been a fun toy so far. The pictures and recordings do not look nearly as good as it does through the scope. The ir illumination beams in very tight and works easily on my 100 yard target through the woods. Leaves can be a bit reflective and block your sight on further away targets. Day/night mode is awesome for sighting in. Plus, you just put the crosshairs on the original bull and use the d pad to adjust. Range finder is neat. Different profiles for different rifles/loads.

Battery life is what it is.
    It is super heavy.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Sooooooo anybody else have review/opinion on the ATN X-sight II? I'm very heavily contemplating buying one to put on top of a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 Blackout. Should make for a fun rifle with a can. The nighttime critter getter!!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The X-Sight by ATN is Digital "night vision". Its a completely different technology than Image Intensifier Tubes (IIT). They use normal digital camera sensors hat just happen to have sensitivity in low light and into the IR spectrum. They rely on supplimental IR light to function, like from an IR flashlight.

ATN's first gen was plagued by hardware and software problems, but unlike most of their lineup, they tried to make things right. But they pretty much dropped support when the 2nd gen II models were released.
    There are 2 ATN user groups on facebook, where you can find heavily edited and moderated discussion. Dissent is not tolerated.

Lots of stand hunters shooting hogs over bait are successful with the ATN x sight. But its not real night vision. If you spend the $600 you'll be amazed. But if you look through my $1800 pvs14 you will regret it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Lots of stand hunters shooting hogs over bait are successful with the ATN x sight. But its not real night vision. If you spend the $600 you'll be amazed. But if you look through my $1800 pvs14 you will regret it.

where did you get a pvs14 for half price? :shrug:

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    The X-Sight by ATN is Digital "night vision". Its a completely different technology than Image Intensifier Tubes (IIT). They use normal digital camera sensors hat just happen to have sensitivity in low light and into the IR spectrum. They rely on supplimental IR light to function, like from an IR flashlight.

ATN's first gen was plagued by hardware and software problems, but unlike most of their lineup, they tried to make things right. But they pretty much dropped support when the 2nd gen II models were released.
    There are 2 ATN user groups on facebook, where you can find heavily edited and moderated discussion. Dissent is not tolerated.

So I'm gonna need an IR flashlight as well or is it just a nice to have? It looks like the Gen I came with an IR light mounted to the scope but the Gen II doesn't.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    gen I was junk ime. Traded a pistol for a brand new one. I mounted it to my ar, got it all set up. It would shut off after the first shot. I would have to remove the battery to reset it and get it to turn back on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom