• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Question for ya,
    I loaded 5 of the 300 ftx a couple weeks ago, never used that bullet before.
    Are you including the red tip in your OAL?
    I'm at 2.150 with 35.4 lil'gun and way past the cannalure, almost to the shoulder.

I include the flextip as well, but load a hair long to compensate. It will still fit in a standard mag, but not a pmag.

DSC_0410.jpg

L-R: 300gr flextip, 500gr, 275gr, 350hp, and a 350 berry's.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The batch at 38gr ran well enough, pretty good accuracy and no FTF/FTE or extraction/chambering issues. The muzzle brake has helped immensely, this thing is a .50 cal pussycat now. It's still stout, but it isn't painful to shoot for more than 10 rounds at a time now.

Forgot the chrony, so there's no fps data on this batch.

View attachment 99827

View attachment 99828

As you can see, much easier to stay on target now with the brake on there. Distance was shorter than my usual zero range (-100 yards), still shooting off a wood block for a rest - but at least this time there was a sand bag to help steady me out some.

Going to slightly reduce the charge some, primer's weren't flattened out, but I'd like to see some more radius left on them. So it's time to go adjust my powder drop station.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Experiment is over for a little while, stuck a case in the FL sizer die. :mad54:

Tossing the Lee dies and going to pick up the Hornady dies - which I should've bought in the first place (hindsight being 20/20).

*Yes, the case was lubed. And I've tried numerous methods to remove the stuck case, it ain't budging.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For blasting/plinking fun, I use Berry's 350gr. If you catch them on sale at Cabela's, they're really cheap. 150 for ~$35, if I remember correctly.

BenL - I just got (500) .50" 300gr Plated HP's from HSM for $79.90 - a touch over $100 after shipping.

Still out a FL sizer die till the new set comes in, but thankfully I already have some processed brass that's ready to load. Going to see how these do, at 6.25 cents a boolit - if they work halfway decent, I'm buying lots more of them. :D

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    The 50 Beowulf really shines with the 400gr bullet. In particular I have found the Winchester platinum tip 400gr to be the most accurate bullet to date.

This guy on gunbroker is selling the bullets in bulk. Gunbroker ID: TY1959

I have bought 5000 or so very excellent bullet.

Recipe

My favorite load is as follows:

Bullet - Winchester Platinum Tip HP 400gr
    Primer: Large pistol. (Not magnum)
    Powder - Hodgdon H4198 (48.8gr)
    OAL 2.162
    10 shot avg is 1765fps

Accuracy

The attached target is of a three shot group at 200 yards. I have only been able to achieve this accuracy with the Winchester platinum tips so other bullet tips accuracy will be less. Also with my particular load recipe I listed.

I am using a Leupold 1.25 x 4 VX-R hog scope. Awesome scope for the Beo. ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...cludes-metric/ )

Attachments

• image-2778886006.jpg
      image-2778886006.jpg
      16.1 KB · Views: 1,168
    • image-3411500776.jpg
      image-3411500776.jpg
      27.5 KB · Views: 1,083
    • image-1940543381.jpg
      image-1940543381.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 1,086
    • image-3518146339.jpg
      image-3518146339.jpg
      34.3 KB · Views: 1,083

MGP

Mar 11, 2014
    The 50 Beowulf really shines with the 400gr bullet. In particular I have found the Winchester platinum tip 400gr to be the most accurate bullet to date.

This guy on gunbroker is selling the bullets in bulk. Gunbroker ID: TY1959

I have bought 5000 or so very excellent bullet.

Recipe

My favorite load is as follows:

Bullet - Winchester Platinum Tip HP 400gr
    Primer: Large pistol. (Not magnum)
    Powder - Hodgdon H4198 (48.8gr)
    OAL 2.162
    10 shot avg is 1765fps

Accuracy

The attached target is of a three shot group at 200 yards. I have only been able to achieve this accuracy with the Winchester platinum tips so other bullet tips accuracy will be less. Also with my particular load recipe I listed.

I am using a Leupold 1.25 x 4 VX-R hog scope. Awesome scope for the Beo. ( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...cludes-metric/ )

I just bought 500 of these do you use any crimp on the load listed above? Your load list above you are using 48.8grs The reason I ask is quickload is showing that load being way over pressured in the Beowulf like 44679psi and max for the wulf is 33359psi ? Thanks Mike

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not anymore :innocent0

Just so you know, I've had an unacceptable amount of ruptured brass (splits down the body) since I got my upper.

Factory loaded ammo. Rarely a case will split with my handloads.

I think A.A. loads a bit hot, and the Starline brass just doesn't like that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not bad data, here's some from A.A. directly to cross-reference.

View attachment 116035

I've had great luck with Lil' Gun so far. Loads call for Magnum LPP, but I've had 0 issues loading with standard LPP.

Brass I tend to trim on the shorter side, doesn't seem to grow much on firing - seems running it thru the sizing die is where it grows.

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Not bad data, here's some from A.A. directly to cross-reference.

View attachment 116035

I've had great luck with Lil' Gun so far. Loads call for Magnum LPP, but I've had 0 issues loading with standard LPP.

Brass I tend to trim on the shorter side, doesn't seem to grow much on firing - seems running it thru the sizing die is where it grows.

Thanks, I was looking for the data from AA but didn't see it on the site. I bought some Lil'Gun and Magnum LPP at the Frederick show…now to find bullets. Once I get up and running (probably not until next weekend, I'll post data.)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I got lucky, found 500 of the 300gr Plated HP's from HSM for a pretty good price a while back, still loading those and they shoot great.

Hornady also has done pretty well by me, but they ain't too easy on the pocket for plinking duty.

Powerbelt - I'll see how those do this weekend, got a couple loaded up for eval.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As long as I don't shoot too much over the next few weekends, I'm done with the Beowulf for now.

The fruits of my labor over the past few days, both boxes are stuffed to capacity. (They got kinda heavy somehow...)

View attachment 116202

38.5gr of Lil' Gun, CCI 300 LPP, HSM 300gr Plated HP, COL of 2.075".

MDS Shoot, there's one caliber that's ready to go now.

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    As long as I don't shoot too much over the next few weekends, I'm done with the Beowulf for now.

The fruits of my labor over the past few days, both boxes are stuffed to capacity. (They got kinda heavy somehow...)

View attachment 116202

38.5gr of Lil' Gun, CCI 300 LPP, HSM 300gr Plated HP, COL of 2.075".

MDS Shoot, there's one caliber that's ready to go now.

Have you chronographed those? I've got 500gr Hornaday XTP arriving tomorrow, but probably won't begin loading until mid next week. Put the rifle together last night though :party29:

mV1RCH

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't chrony'd this batch yet, have shot this loading before and no pressure signs were noted. But do need to get the velocity to work out my ballistic tables.

May try to chrony these this weekend if I get a chance.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I use bullets from Rainier and Lil Gun. I follow the AA recipe and have had good luck.

Chris

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I haven't been able to find the Rainier's since I got this upper, maybe I haven't been looking hard enough...

A.A.'s info is good, hasn't led me down the wrong path yet.

They state minimum case length of 1.644", max of 1.655" - yet most of my factory ammo/brass after the first firing normally comes in around 1.63" range. Always makes me chuckle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    "Out of stock, Backorder OK."

I'll hit them up on 5/25 - supposed to be back in stock by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom