• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Didn't find anything here on MDS, Beyond5.56 had some good info to start/reference off of.

So I thought I'd get something going here.

My first batch was pretty mild - 35.2gr of Lil Gun under a 300gr Hornady XTP, COL was 2.090", primers were Winchester LP. Light taper crimp since no cannelure. Alexander Arms headstamp (starline) brass.

Didn't get to chrony them, but going from the data they should've been in the high 1800 to low 1900 fps range. Accuracy was decent at 50 yards - had a few touching but nothing that'd knock your socks off. 100 yards I had issues with the scope, so no real data off that string. Recoil was stout, but much easier on the shoulder than factory 335gr Rainier HP - which gets almost painful after about 50 rounds.

Batch I cranked out tonight is slightly warmer.

300gr Hornady FTX over 38gr of Lil Gun (max charge for 300gr round is listed at 40gr of Lil Gun, so I'm still safely within limits). COL is 2.245", figured its probably a safe bet to load these a little long at this charge weight. Same A.A. headstamped brass (first reload), same primers. Light taper crimp, just under the base of the cannelure.

Weather permitting, and hopefully I can snag a chrono as well, hope to test these before the weekends out.

Just for comparison,

View attachment 99070

.50 Beowulf, 300BLK (225gr subsonic), and 62gr FMJ .223, ain't they cute. :D

Last edited:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    .50 Beowulf I hope to own one of these uppers one day. Why? I have no clue why except I just want one.

You want one because it is bad ass to have a .50 cal AR.

I have loaded 335 gr. Rainier bullets using the standard work up from Alexander Arms. Works very well.

Chris

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only issue is finding the 335gr Rainier boolits, no one seems to have them in stock. And Rainier isn't taking any new accounts.

So for me that means a bit of experimentation with what I can find.

So far it's just been the 300gr XTP and FTX from Hornady. I'm trying to find some more compatible bullets and compile some more comprehensive load data since the info from A.A. is rather limited.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The funny thing is they're all the same length. How does that .50 look next to a 30-06?

Don't have an '06 handy to lay it next to, but when put beside a 54R cartridge it does look a bit short.

Although the 54R isn't putting out over 2800ft/lbs of energy. :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ran that batch today, I think I found a great combo without even trying. The 300gr FTX's over 38gr of H110 ran VERY well. Didn't get a chrony to get the FPS reading.

Had some difficulty zeroing in (damn cheap scopes), but once I got it in the ballpark, it was showing some potential. Had a few that were damn near in the same hole.

Couldn't do it consistently though, the recoil is (ahem) Stout enough that it just threw me off my game. This batch definitely thumps like the factory 335gr Rainier's.

The pepperpot muzzle brake is being installed tonight! Hopefully that'll tame this monster down some.

*BenL, appreciate that! I'll have to keep my eyes on Cabela's. Them Hornady's ain't easy on the pockets.

**Franklin, you ain't right... ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Best use for a fiberglass serving tray yet -

View attachment 99446

As I said, showing signs, but a few things need to be worked on first.

The cheapo Wally world scope, and the recoil.

*Shot off a wood block for a rest.

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    It's a scope killer. I went through a couple before I found one that would hold up.

Also keep an eye on your buffer. The bumper on the end of a standard buffer may start to mushroom after a few thousand rounds (mine did.) I ended up putting a H3 buffer in mine with a heavy spring, and it works great.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Currently running a XP spring and H Buffer, no deformation on the end cap (yet), I'll make sure to check it every few trips out. Thankfully I have a few weights of buffers on hand to go to if needed - standard carbine to T3.

Was running the PRO on it since I had faith it'd hold up to the recoil, but I wanted to try a scope to see what type of accuracy could be squeezed out of it.

The brake is installed now, so we'll see if that tames it down some.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Question for ya,
    I loaded 5 of the 300 ftx a couple weeks ago, never used that bullet before.
    Are you including the red tip in your OAL?
    I'm at 2.150 with 35.4 lil'gun and way past the cannalure, almost to the shoulder.

Yep, as much as some people dislike the practice - I go from tip to tip for my COAL since I run very basic equipment. (I'm not making match ammo just yet. ;) )

The 35.2gr batch was using Hornady XTP's.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So what are the ballistics on that thing? 50 yard zero, 2 inches up at 100, back to zero at 200 yards?

Going by my data (subject to change pending chrony results), for a 100 yard zero (my standard zero range) -

50 yards - .77" High

100 yards - zero

200 yards - 12.5" low

300 yards - 45.5" low

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads