• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    After a long wait for some Reloader7, I was able to load some 530gr Beowulf today.

530beo_zps9785680f.jpg

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Do you use a similar load for 500gr Hornady's?

I have a box of 500gr Hornady's, but I have not settled on a load for those yet.

The Hornady manual has loads using; LILGUN, Win 296, H110 or IMR 4227.
    They use a C.O.L. of 2.240", which people have had issues with fail to feed because of the flat tip.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    I loaded some up a long time ago with Reloader 7; haven't fired them, though. Got the recipe off the interwebs, so not real confident in it. I might pull them and try again.

I bought the Hornady 500gr because they were "Ooh Shiney" next to the 350gr XTPs.
    I also reload S&W 500, so I can use them for that, if I do not use them for the Beo.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Looking for some starting load data.
    I want to load some Winchester 400gr Platinum tips.
    I have Reloader7 and AA1680 powder available. I believe 2.180" should be the correct OAL for this bullet.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Can't find anything specific. My guess (based on other 400 loads with a similar profile) would be OAL between 2.140 and 2.180. With a beginning charge of RL-7 in the neighborhood of 47.1 and work your way up from there to a max of around 48.0.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Can't find anything specific. My guess (based on other 400 loads with a similar profile) would be OAL between 2.140 and 2.180. With a beginning charge of RL-7 in the neighborhood of 47.1 and work your way up from there to a max of around 48.0.

Thanks,
    That is the starting point I was looking at based on the AA load data for 400gr bullets.

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    Lehigh Defense for Beowulf

I have a couple boxes of Alexander Arms 350gr spitzer and thought it would be a fun round to reload. I contacted AA and asked them if they sold the 350gr spitzer projectile. I figured it was possible, since they had the load data for it on their website. They said, "The did not sell them" and they gave me no further info. I found the Lehigh Defense website and their projectile looked like the AA version. I ordered the Lehigh Defense 350gr Match Solid bullet. I did a pull down on an AA factory 350gr spitzer cartridge and compared it to the Lehigh Defense 350gr Match Solid bullet. The AA 350gr spitzer and the Lehigh Defense 350gr Match are one in the same. They also have a couple other bullets that seem interesting, especially the Xtreme Penetrator 350gr. They are a bit pricey, but then again you can load only so many 335gr Rainers, before you need to try some thing new.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/500+rifle

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America

I just test a Winchester Platinum 400gr with a 2.180" OAL and 47.2gr RL7.
    According to the chrono, it appears to be a little to hot.
    It went across the chrono at 1752fps and the primer showed signs of flattening.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    God, I have to start loading up the thumper again - was trying to put it off until I saw the thread get bumped. ;)

46 grain is probably going to be a little more reasonable for those 400gr platinums. The .50Beo is a relatively low pressure round.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well let me taunt you a bit, with these 350gr Lehigh Defense Match solid bullets.
    They are the same as the AA 350gr spitzer.

350spitzer_zpsrbn31gsp.jpg

I'm still going thru the 300gr plated HP's I got on closeout from HSM.

The .260 has been taking priority lately, but I fired off every single round for thumper yesterday at DSC. Had fun doing it, but don't want to think about how much powder I burned up doing so...

Even scored some hits on steel silhouettes at 200 yards with the .50Beo - about 2 3/4 mil high hold from a 100 yard zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom