• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    i thought I would post good deals as I find them on property for sale in the Mountain-Lakes region of West Virginia. I get the local want adds about every two weeks and see some great prices on acreage, so I thought I would share it with you in this thread as I find them. I was born and raised in West Virginia and have a home and property there. I know alot of people on here dream of getting their own piece of heaven, so maybe this can help someone out. I don't know anything about the property except whats in the want adds. My criteria for posting will be a price of about $1000/acre.

178 ac. old farmhouse and barn, 3 dug wells, gas, elec, Lincoln Co off Rt. 34, $115,000 736-7064

48 ac in Clay Co., with converted older mobile home, very remote, joins hunting club, 12 mls from Summersville Lake. $49,500 304-928-0141

132 ac wooded prop in Braxton Co, surveyed, gd hunting, county rd access, elec avail $80000 742-3798

Updated as of 08/16

80 acres of hunting property 2 miles from 3 mile road, Blue Creek, lots of wild life, & easy hunting. $40,000 965-2531

Approx 35 acres for sale in Elkview Big Chimney area, accesss from Little Sandy Road, pkenty of timber, very good hunting, best offer over $38,000 926-4212

Prop for sale, almost 20 acres, Braxton Co., gd hunting and spots for camp. $22,000 obo. call eve/wknds. 469-4390

Updated as of 09/13

200 Acres of land, $1000/acre, 304-927-4472

F.S. 39-1/2 acres hunting land in Wirt County, 4-5 miles from Elizabeth, on rear-round road, about 1/4 mile road frontage, lost of wild game, $41,000, 304-863-8445

129 acres near Stumptown. Private easy access, all woods, interior roads, Camp and hunt $103,000. Free maps, 740-989-0260

20ac of hunting prop near Burnsville in Braxton Co., reduced to $20,000 obo, may consider trade, call eve/weekends 304-469-4390

80 ac of exc hunting property, 2 mls from Three Mile Rd., Blue Creek, easy access, mostly gated prop, $40,000 304-965-2531

Updated as of 11/01

For those looking for a cabin to put on their property:
    F.S. 1852 hand-hewn 2 story double dove tail log house, 18 x 25, disassembled & stored in barn, $20,000, 304-482-1838.

F.S. 1 BR home on 44 acres in Frame area, inside needs finished, well/septic tank, good hunting, $60,000 on land contract, no finance charges, or $49,000 cash, 6pm-9pm 304-577-9029.

F.S. 6.7 acres property, 24x48' building, 13x16 building, mobile home, water cistern, city water available soon, electric and phone, graveled road, reduced price, $29,000 firm, 304-273-9136

F.S. 74 acres outside of Sutton, Braxton County, nice 14x32 cabin, heat and air, hardwood floors, tongue-n-groove ash walls, 11 miles from Sutton Lake, 8 miles from Elk River Wildlife Management Area, surveyed, clean deed, small barn, Ford Tractor, brushhog, box blade, pig pole, $99,000, 304-550-4218.

F.S. 80 wooded acres, hunters, paradise, very secluded, Walton area, Roane County, shown by appt only, $89,000, 740-286-6075.

F.S. 91.073 acres of land in Sod in Lincoln Co, about 25 mins to Charleston, 1/8 mi borders paved road & has power on it, several good bldg sites, great hunting, $84,500, 304-437-7355.

Updated as of 3/28/11

F.S. - 21 acres of land located at Jackson/Kanawha County line, on White Oak Rd. $24,000; 13.5 acres, $15,000, 304-372-1000 or 304-532-5200

F.S. - 4.95 acres in Mason County, current survey, county water, beautiful ridge view, $18,500 obo. 304-895-3640

(this next one is within a few miles of my place. Beautiful area.)

F.S. - 66 acres in Strange Creek/Runion Ridge, Braxton County, 25 meadow, drilled well, electric avail, numerous homesites, $75,000, 304-364-9111 eves.

F.S. - 86 acres in Trace Fork near Walton, prime hunting, old housesite w/fine dug well, secluded, $59,500, 304-655-7670.

F.S. - 91 acres in Lincoln Co, 25 min to Charleston, 1/8 mile borders quiet paved road, has 1 entrance from Rt 214 & also another, power & gas, several good bldg sites, great hunting, $76,000, 304-552-0114

F.S. - 27 acres, Harmons Creek Road off Poca River, $30,000 obo 304-776-7880.

F.S. - Civil War era 2 story log house, cut stone chimney & foundation, on 75 acres in Lewis County, has 200,000 cubic ft. of free gas for residents living on prop. exclnt hunting area, $150,000. 304-924-6505.

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've looked at listings for WV property for a while (for private hunting property and maybe a small cabin). My biggest fear is locals pseudo-claiming your property when you don't live on it. (hunting on it, trail riding, breaking into/using cabins, stealing game cameras, etc...) I know a lot of the locals have the attitude that since they grew up there and you didn't, they have a right to poach on your property. I've talked to a few people who've had this problem and ultimately sold their property because of it.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've looked at listings for WV property for a while (for private hunting property and maybe a small cabin). My biggest fear is locals pseudo-claiming your property when you don't live on it. (hunting on it, trail riding, breaking into/using cabins, stealing game cameras, etc...) I know a lot of the locals have the attitude that since they grew up there and you didn't, they have a right to poach on your property. I've talked to a few people who've had this problem and ultimately sold their property because of it.

Not an unfounded concern. I'm dealing with the attitude of "I can do anything I want here and there's not a damned thing you can do about it" with my place.

So far they've left the building proper alone however the 10 deer carcasses dumped on the property is a testament to the fact that they're basically right.

I'm going to buy a bunch of game cameras and nab me some poachers this year. :mad54:

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    i thought I would post good deals as I find them on property for sale in the Mountain-Lakes region of West Virginia. I get the local want adds about every two weeks and see some great prices on acreage, so I thought I would share it with you in this thread as I find them. I was born and raised in West Virginia and have a home and property there. I know alot of people on here dream of getting their own piece of heaven, so maybe this can help someone out. I don't know anything about the property except whats in the want adds. My criteria for posting will be a price of about $1000/acre.

178 ac. old farmhouse and barn, 3 dug wells, gas, elec, Lincoln Co off Rt. 34, $115,000 736-7064

48 ac in Clay Co., with converted older mobile home, very remote, joins hunting club, 12 mls from Summersville Lake. $49,500 304-928-0141

132 ac wooded prop in Braxton Co, surveyed, gd hunting, county rd access, elec avail $80000 742-3798

What are the area codes for the phone numbers?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Not an unfounded concern. I'm dealing with the attitude of "I can do anything I want here and there's not a damned thing you can do about it" with my place.

So far they've left the building proper alone however the 10 deer carcasses dumped on the property is a testament to the fact that they're basically right.

I'm going to buy a bunch of game cameras and nab me some poachers this year. :mad54:

Personally, I'd let bygones be bygones. No sense in kicking a hornet's nest full of "Deliverance"-type goobers.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    A friend of mine's father has a few hundred acres in WV and I am in love with his property. All the fresh spring water you could need, a stocked pond, and deer all over the place. It's almost like heaven on earth(at least to me). My dream is to one day have a little land of my own with a private shooting range. I guess I need to start saving a lot more money.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

There was someone on the forum last year that was having a heck of a time with "locals". I forget the specifics, but he finally caught them on a game camera hidden high in a tree- a whole pickup truck loaded with hillbillies driving around, just making themselves at home on his property. That would drive me NUTS.

And as I understand it, the local law enforcement sees you as the annoyance, if you call them out for a trespassing call. "Oh, that's just the Mitchel boys... they ain't hurtin' nothin'." That would be enough to set me off.

On a separate note, what is the smallest amount of property you could responsibly hunt on? 10 acres? 5 acres? If I had, say, $40,000, could I just buy 10-15 acres in Delaware or Virginia, and that would be enough to hunt on? For 10-15K, could I pick up a 10 acre hunting plot in WV?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    On a separate note, what is the smallest amount of property you could responsibly hunt on? 10 acres? 5 acres? If I had, say, $40,000, could I just buy 10-15 acres in Delaware or Virginia, and that would be enough to hunt on? For 10-15K, could I pick up a 10 acre hunting plot in WV?

My 11 acres was 33k and it's pretty far out in the woods. However, that region as a whole has a pretty highly inflated opinion of itself.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    How do you get out there? is there fire access roads to all of this property you see out in the middle of nowhere?

There are not always roads and it's something you have to check. I've seen properties that were "islands" and only have foot access.

I'd say 99% of the time there's roads. Even my crooked little private road shows up in Google Earth now. It's not exactly right, but eerily close.

The problem with some of the "better" places in WV now is that the developers are buying up the land and making subdivisions out of them with restrictions and covenants a la suburbia. They're essentially recreating the exact thing that most people here are wanting to flee.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I know a lot of the locals have the attitude that since they grew up there and you didn't, they have a right to poach on your property. I've talked to a few people who've had this problem and ultimately sold their property because of it.

illegal-immigrant-killed-nun-released-by-feds

Attachments

• deliverance.jpg
      deliverance.jpg
      15.9 KB · Views: 1,975

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    For you guys looking into buying property in those regions, remember that there's another reason that the land is cheap.

A lot of those areas are in the coal mining region and the water table is completely polluted with the consequences of that industry. Be sure to get a water test before you commit.

Also, a lot of those counties do not convey mineral rights. That is a big deal now that they are ramping up plans to go to work on those natural gas deposits in those shale formations. If you don't have mineral rights, someone can drill right underneath of you with a diagonal well and tear your water up without any compensation for what they extract.

I have mineral rights and my area has never been mined.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Now, that's down right unneighborly fella. :innocent0

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Now, that's down right unneighborly fella. :innocent0

Moreso as insurance against them doing anything to the cabin.

Everyone else up there has cameras on their place, so it seems like I'm just blending in. :D

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    There are not always roads and it's something you have to check. I've seen properties that were "islands" and only have foot access.

I'd say 99% of the time there's roads. Even my crooked little private road shows up in Google Earth now. It's not exactly right, but eerily close.

The problem with some of the "better" places in WV now is that the developers are buying up the land and making subdivisions out of them with restrictions and covenants a la suburbia. They're essentially recreating the exact thing that most people here are wanting to flee.

Yea when I was looking there for land about 10 years ago this is something I noticed, you really had to be carefull with subdivisions and the covenants that come with it.

The good thing out there is the natural gas if you get mineral rights, imagine having your own gas well on your property... You could effectively live off the grid with just that, although some solar power would be a wise idea so you wouldn't have to rely on a genset running 24/7 and the associated maintinance.

And yes you have to be carefull with water out there, many places are heavily mined and poluted even if you don't see it.

Very pretty country though, and the land pricesare hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom