• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Pushrod,
    Thanks for the updates. My wife and I are looking for a place to build a cabin that can be used all year, but mainly for spending quality family time during the summer, with ATVs, hiking, fishing etc.

I'll be on the lookout and post anything I find. What price range and property size are you looking for?

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Here is the kid from Deliverance all grown up and he could be your neighbor.

deliverance.jpg

31173-banjo-playing-dude_full-480w.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Oldie but a goodie here. Summersville (Central) is nice, but man what a haul from my house. We just came back from rafting the Upper Gualey on Monday. Anyone that has been down that way knows, it's like an entirely different WORLD down there. 35 solid minutes of driving up and out of the river valley before you even hit a blacktop road.

Seems like things don't really get "cheap" until you are deep into the hills.

No?

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    We did the Upper/Middle Gauley on Saturday! We also did the zip lines on Friday. Good times but it reminded me how out of shape I am!

The area around there is gorgeous but good luck getting any kind of level lot!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We did the Upper/Middle Gauley on Saturday! We also did the zip lines on Friday. Good times but it reminded me how out of shape I am!

The area around there is gorgeous but good luck getting any kind of level lot!

We did the marathon, on Sunday. The ACE property was absolutely PACKED Saturday night, never seen anything like it.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Wow! I'd still be in bed if I did the whole river! We went with the Rivermen. And got a cabin w/ a hot tub. We got stuck and had to bail from the raft onto a rock at Sweet's Falls.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Wow! I'd still be in bed if I did the whole river! We went with the Rivermen. And got a cabin w/ a hot tub. We got stuck and had to bail from the raft onto a rock at Sweet's Falls.

We watched 3 guys get pinned (heads above water) down there, one guy appeared to be in his 60's, scary stuff. It's wild seeing the rafts flip in that box, doesn't matter how high you get, when it wants to get sucked under, you're getting pitched out!

Just watched some videos today of people getting slammed right there.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    We didn't get to see our video b/c the videographer used a different format than usual. It wasn't ready until after we left. Still thinking about getting it.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Oldie but a goodie here. Summersville (Central) is nice, but man what a haul from my house. We just came back from rafting the Upper Gualey on Monday. Anyone that has been down that way knows, it's like an entirely different WORLD down there. 35 solid minutes of driving up and out of the river valley before you even hit a blacktop road.

Seems like things don't really get "cheap" until you are deep into the hills.

No?

That's my area. Summersville is about 45 minutes from my house.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We did the marathon, on Sunday. The ACE property was absolutely PACKED Saturday night, never seen anything like it.

ACE is probably the best outfitter for rafting in the area. Great property and amenities. We use them all the time (haven't been rafting on the rivers in a couple of years though).

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    ACE is probably the best outfitter for rafting in the area. Great property and amenities. We use them all the time (haven't been rafting on the rivers in a couple of years though).

They are certainly the biggest. I read something like 80% of the river usage (and....80% of the injuries) :eek:

I am thinking of switching my trip from an annual guys trip to something the wife and I can do. As I learn more about WV it seems like somewhere I'd like to take some more time to explore, there's a lot to see that I am not seeing due to time constraints on these marathon rafting trips.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Just seeing this thread today. I've been looking on Landwatch. Some good deals, it seems. Nothing like what Pushrod was posting when he started this thread. Unfortunately it may be another two years before I'm in a position to purchase unless a low down payment can be arranged. However, for the right deal, I'll make something work.

Please keep them coming as you find them, Pushrod. My interest is having fun now, cabin later (unless there's a good deal). I think 15-20 acres at a minimum unless backing National Forest but ideally lots more.

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    I have a buddy that's getting ready to sell his grandmother's home in Mingo, WV... which is just up 219 <15 minutes from Snowshoe. PM if interested and I'll get details.

I have to say, having been back home for 4 months has been a welcome reprieve from Baltimore County. While there are trade-offs, I can't think of anyplace I'd rather be!

Prior to moving away I had my CCW, but now that I'm back I've been doing more open carrying than anything else... because I can. :party29:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Here's some more:
    F.S. - 13.5 acres, Roane County, 2003 Oakwood mobile home, 2BR, 2-bath, minor fire damage to 1 bedroom, needs new windows, it is fixable, well water, septic system, electric, $20,000 obo, no land contracts, serious inquiries only, 304-553-1776.

F.S. - 58 acres, Grapevine Rd, Sissonville area, old abandoned dairy farm from the 1940's & 1950's, no house, cinder block barn, milk house, overgrown hay field, pasture, mostly hillside, drilled well at barn, all utilities available, $59,000, 304-372-7616.

F.S. - 58.3 acres, living in old 2-story farmhouse, needs TLC, Civil War era, 2 story mason lodge/store/post office, small barm, few outbldgs, some nice timber, old rock quarry, both sides single lane, hardtop, 4469 Rowels Run Rd, Creston, can email photos, $119,000, 304-354-6557 dalton.brady@yahoo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom