Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    illegal-immigrant-killed-nun-released-by-feds

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    My parents own a Condo outside of Canaan Valley WV, its beautiful and hear no banjos. There is lots of skiing there! The good thing is if I want to move to freedom I have a key to go anytime I want to.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Doing that family vacation as we speak. Staying in Marietta Ohio as I write this, last night Charles Town WV and hope to be in Elkins WV tomorrow. (Our idea of a vacation is to just wander around to wherever the GMC brings us, find a room with wireless and voila) I like playing with realtor.com and using THIS guide the poorest regions yield the most for the least. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_locations_by_per_capita_income

Eastern Ohio blows BUT we found a GREAT micro brewery that's disguised as a restaurant! :D Eat their food AND drink their special brews right on main street! :thumbsup::party29:

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Doing that family vacation as we speak. Staying in Marietta Ohio as I write this, last night Charles Town WV and hope to be in Elkins WV tomorrow. (Our idea of a vacation is to just wander around to wherever the GMC brings us, find a room with wireless and voila) I like playing with realtor.com and using THIS guide the poorest regions yield the most for the least. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_locations_by_per_capita_income

Eastern Ohio blows BUT we found a GREAT micro brewery that's disguised as a restaurant! :D Eat their food AND drink their special brews right on main street! :thumbsup::party29:

Hey you were close to me last night! I drive down to Charles Town when I get bored sometimes.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Thanks for this.

How far/long is the drive from B-More to this area?

-Boxcab

I'm down in extreme S. Maryland and my best time to Braxton Co. is 5.5 hours. It is about 2 hours from Friendsville on the Maryland/WV border. So I would guess about 4 hours from Baltimore.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I just got back from my grandparents' cabin out there in WV. Had to chase off some college kids who come down "2 or 3 times a week" and use our meadow. They got permission from "some older guy who walks his dogs down there". Yeah it's a pain in the ass, not to mention someone breaks into the cabin roughy every 3 years last time they used an 80 year old painting as firewood.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Not an unfounded concern. I'm dealing with the attitude of "I can do anything I want here and there's not a damned thing you can do about it" with my place.

So far they've left the building proper alone however the 10 deer carcasses dumped on the property is a testament to the fact that they're basically right.

I'm going to buy a bunch of game cameras and nab me some poachers this year. :mad54:

That has always been a concern for me at my place also, especially since it is fully stocked with everything I need. Luckily, my security protocols that I have initiated for the property have worked so far and we have had 0 problems except for two stolen "No Tresspassing" signs along the main road.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I work with someone who's family owns hunting land in WV. They get broken into every year or so and know exactly who it is and have photgraphic proof. The law basically told them they aren't from around there and let it go. I can hear the banjoes now.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    For you guys looking into buying property in those regions, remember that there's another reason that the land is cheap.

A lot of those areas are in the coal mining region and the water table is completely polluted with the consequences of that industry. Be sure to get a water test before you commit.

Also, a lot of those counties do not convey mineral rights. That is a big deal now that they are ramping up plans to go to work on those natural gas deposits in those shale formations. If you don't have mineral rights, someone can drill right underneath of you with a diagonal well and tear your water up without any compensation for what they extract.

I have mineral rights and my area has never been mined.

There is wrong and right in that response. Yes, mineral rights are already owned in most of West Virginia, as these were bought up long ago by outside concerns, it is not the counties that don't convey them but the owners. Usually it was back in the late 1800's to early 1900's that these were purchased from the poor backwoods residents that didn't know what they were giving up for the pittance that they received. It is hard to find property with attached mineral rights. Rarely is their a problem with you not owning the mineral rights, and if something is found under your property and your property is affected at all, they have to compensate you.
    Congrats to Norton for finding some. They are out there and they are usually advertised as such.

As far as pollution. In the Braxton/Nicholas/Lewis Counties that I'm most familiar with have some of the most prestine waters. Yes, it is in Appalachia coal country, but unless you live adjacent to a mine, your worries are minimal.
    Our well water was tested and is good enough to bottle and comes from a natural feeder spring that bubbles up into the hand dug well. Birch River, Meadow River, the Gauley and New River and Little Birch River are some fine clear water with great fishing and recreation. The reason for the depressed prices in that region is that there is not much of an economy, they are some of the poorest counties and there and low population densities. You have to drive pretty far to get to the nearest store.

Make sure you check on Right of Way accesses, and access to utilities if that is a concern. Plus this IS the mountain state, make sure there is some buildable flat land in the plot and is not all just the side of a mountain. :)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Tales like these make me think twice about having a remote SHTF getaway. The locals look at you as an invader now. Wait until society breaks down, and there are no limits on what people think they can get away with.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Tales like these make me think twice about having a remote SHTF getaway. The locals look at you as an invader now. Wait until society breaks down, and there are no limits on what people think they can get away with.

That is why it pays to get your property earlier than later, and get to know your neighbors. I know all of mine, stop by occasionally to chat and have a beer. They invite me to family picnics or go to local festivals with them. It takes time, but you integrate with them, even if you aren't living there full time.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    That is why it pays to get your property earlier than later, and get to know your neighbors. I know all of mine, stop by occasionally to chat and have a beer. They invite me to family picnics or go to local festivals with them. It takes time, but you integrate with them, even if you aren't living there full time.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    These folks aren't like they are in MD. You have to spend time to get to know them and get accepted.

I'm planning on finding a spot in WVa as soon as I can.

Anyone know anything about Roane county? I see alot of land for sale in that area.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

The guy at the gun store down there told me they were going to blow the bridges. I believe him. :D

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    It is good to get to know people, some areas are easier than others. I've done pretty good where my property is but it's down south and I have southern hospitality on my side. Hell, last weekend when I stopped down a neighbor even mowed the road and driveway up to my spot. :thumbsup:

Get to know the ones that have been there the longest, once they respect you they will respect your property.. And they'll even keep an eye on it while you're away. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom