• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have heard it said the Aimpoint is rugged enough have if things get bad. The Eotech was recommended more for a range rifle. Seems the Aimpoint is supposed to resist abuse / damage better.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have heard it said the Aimpoint is rugged enough have if things get bad. The Eotech was recommended more for a range rifle. Seems the Aimpoint is supposed to resist abuse / damage better.
    Larry Vickers posted up a picture of the configuration of HK416 that took down Osama Bin Laden. Guess what was on it? A G33 and an EXPS3. If it's good enough for those guys, it's good enough for me.

The pre-XPS Eotechs had battery issues. Those are solved by the XPS/EXPS series. If you want that Eotech reticle and the huge window, by all means, buy an Eotech. Even with the 5XX Eotechs, though, I would feel pretty good if I had a later model (ie, the latest rev of the 512.A65).

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    H1's and T1's on all of mine. I had a 553 but I traded it. Nothing wrong with it really, just not my thing.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Spikes/BCM 14.5" Aimpoint ComM3
    Spikes AR Pistol- Aimpoint T1
    Bushmaster HBAR- Aimpoint PRO
    SW M&P 15-22- Bushnell TRS-25

aimpoints speak for themselves, good optics, but not cheap. I love the Bushnell on my .22 good cheap little optic

Nov 18, 2009
    Nikon p-223 fixed 3x32. Im really surprised these dont get more attention. Very good quality IMHO. Light, compact at 8.x" and I found it for $111 shipped on Amazon.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    My AR pistol has an Aimpoint PRO. The 16 inch has a Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25x4.

I neglected pros and cons.

For the PRO, it's cheapish and an Aimpoint, 2 moa. Comes with a good mount. Good stuff. No real cons.

For the variable, mine is in a Larue QD mount. It has an adjustable brightness red dot that is daylight visible, plus the crosshairs. Good glass.

Cons are it is heavier than a red dot, requires a separately purchased mount, lacks capped turrets.

I like it a lot.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Nikon p-223 fixed 3x32. Im really surprised these dont get more attention. Very good quality IMHO. Light, compact at 8.x" and I found it for $111 shipped on Amazon.

Well made. No batteries. Low price. Just about idiot proof. What's not to hate? Didn't you get the memo? Complicated and pricey or bust!!!

Nimrod

"NOT DISAPPROVED"
    Mar 22, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I have an Eotech, an Aimpoint PRO, and a Leupold prismatic. They are all excellent and I tend to swap them around a lot for 3-gun. What I have found that I have been leaving on my AR the most is a Bushnell 1-4X PCL. Great scope. Never been happier with a $200 purchase. I've had my eye on a Leupold MK6 1-6X for a while but I can't get past the price tag. To me a variable 1-Xpower with illuminated FFP reticle seems to be the most useful overall - decent 'both-eyes-open' reflex sight at 1X and then crank it up for the distance shots. But then again, I don't get in many gunfights so take that for what it's worth...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have the Throw Down PCL, too. My only quibble is that it's a heavy setup on a QD mount. Otherwise, it's an excellent choice for a 1-4X on a 5.56x45 carbine. (Alas, I am converting my carbine to an SBR, so not sure where it'll wind up next.)

usmc1s1k

Oct 10, 2014
    Valley Lee
    what optic do you run?
    what are the pros and cons to you?
    price?
    looking for a red dot and magnified optic
    edited thanks erwos knew I was missing something they will be going on a 14.5 with pinned FH and a 16 inch gun both in 5.56
    I use a Millet TRS-1 w/ scout rail on my RRA NM AR. Can switch back to iron sights w/ 2-screws. Works well for me. Purchased from SWFA.com for $350.

"Think you can, or think you can't - either way you'll be right"

Henry Ford

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    I run Eotech EXPS3s on my three ARs and lts the only thing I run.

Pro: I love the large screen, quick acquisition of the optic

Con: They are expensive :)

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I switch between a Bushnell TRS-25 and a Nikon P223. Both are reasonably priced and work well.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Millet DMS-1 on my 3-Gun AR, and a Nikon M223 2-8x on my 6.8 SPC SPR build. I have only a carry handle rear sight on my carbine, no optics. I wanted it simple.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I see a couple of you have the Nikon P-223. What mount are you using? The Nikon mount says it has a 20 degree angle to take ballistics into account. After reading an article in the American Rifleman (August 2014) about sighting in an AR it looks like taking the ballistics of a standard 55 grain 5.56 if you sight in at 100 yards you'll be within 1/2 an inch to 1 inch from 50-200 yards. I'm thinking about just using a standard mount and going from there. Not worried about co-witnessing or anything.

Thoughts?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm using a Burris PEPR mount with my Nikon M223. If I had waited to purchase the scope for a few more weeks, I could have gotten the Nikon mount for free. Either way, the max I've shot with the Nikon scope was 500 yards, did a good job and could see the target well enough, even with mirage and wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom