• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Another Aimpoint PRO user here. I have it on a 14.5" carbine. I like it. Good range of brightness adjustment, and the battery life is ridiculous.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    XPS2
    Pros: 8-oz with battery, clear glass, super easy to see reticle, excellent in very low light
    Cons: Battery life and auto-off if you prefer always on, awkward to turn on/adjust
    For me, the pros handily outweigh the cons. YMMV.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    XPS2
    Pros: 8-oz with battery, clear glass, super easy to see reticle, excellent in very low light
    Cons: Battery life and auto-off if you prefer always on, awkward to turn on/adjust
    For me, the pros handily outweigh the cons. YMMV.

I have one of what he has but with the QD mount. EXPS2. I have no complaints at all with it.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Vortex Viper PST 1-4 on an ADM qd mount.
    pros: price ($500) clear glass
    Cons: none yet

imagejpg1_zps684a63fb.jpg

Other wears a Vortex Sparc, also on an ADM mount
    Pros: price ($185ish) works well
    Cons: battery life, won't absolute cowitness with my ADM mount

imagejpg1_zps5e57613e.jpg

Last edited:

TripleEight

Apr 2, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Another Aimpoint PRO here. Got it on sale for $362. Keep an eye on slickguns.com and you'll see them on sale every once in a while. I love everything about it(except the price lol). I'm a cheap guy and couldn't justify paying that much for a sight, so I originally had a Bushnell AR Optics 1x MP, the zombie version. I hated it. The dot wasn't crisp, it was big/heavy, not bright enough in daylight, got weird reflections inside, etc. You get what you pay for I guess.

Edit: don't let this scare you from Bushnell though; the TRS-25 has good reviews and can be had for $65 shipped

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    On carbines fixed six mounted on top of the carry handle so I can use my irons at less than 70 yards if need be.

On rifles 20 inch barrel or longer, then it's usually an adjustable 3-9x or similar. I find that 12x gets me magnified so that I can see to the edge of where I'm comfy making shots prone. Had a UTG 4-12x on my varminter that has held up EXTREMELY well for a hundred twenty dollar scope

GoodSpeed150

Nov 9, 2012
    Im using a Primary Arms 1-6x scope
    $269+$60 for the mount + whatever shipping is.

Glass is decent, eye relief is "eh" and its heavy, 1-6x is really nice especially for the price.

I also have a Aimpoint Pro with a QD mount. Its excellent but my eyes suck so I need magnification but didn't want to loose CQB. So this scope is the best of both worlds. Might be worth looking into over a red dot and magnifier.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    fACOG 4x power with working fiber optic illuminator. Mil dot reticle [ no chevron :( ]

Pros,
    works similar to real ACOG [used a real one for years]
    Fiber optic illuminator works well
    price was only 150- 175 [can't remember for sure]
    holds zero
    constructed well with noticeable quality

cons,
    no chevron
    caps aren't wired to the optic
    mount needed fitting [was off angle]
    no case
    no anti glare honeycomb

All in all, a good buy I had to hand fit the optic to the mount, but in the end, I got the majority of the feature's I wanted for a little over a tenth of the price.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    what optic do you run?
    what are the pros and cons to you?
    price?
    looking for a red dot and magnified optic
    edited thanks erwos knew I was missing something they will be going on a 14.5 with pinned FH and a 16 inch gun both in 5.56

Most of my AR's have Aimpoints on them, to include T-1's, a Comp M4 and a PRO. Most of my carbine shooting is 100 yards and in, and I like the long battery life and durability of these optics. The downside to the T-1's and the Comp M4 would be the price, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd just select the PRO model and call it good.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    been running a Night Stalker on my CAR for about 20 years now. Illuminated reticle with BDC. If you run it to 500 yards it is right on at 25 yards with the Cierner .22 insert. In youth Fest the kids loved it.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Most 3 gunners run variables, 1-4, 1-6, 1-8. Trijicon tr24, Bushnell elite 1-6.5 are two i have used and like. Reticles have dots for fast up close engagement, dial it up for longer range.

Con - higher cost than fixed power.(

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    For 1X I love the Leupold Prismatic.

Pros: durable, clear, crosshair etched in glass but can be lit up with red light.
    Cons: Leupold=$$, I also like some magnification but haven't found a 1-4x(5 or 6x) that I really like.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Colt R6601 (HBAR) - Redfield Widefield 3-9x40mm (on top of carry handle) with Colt Delta Cheekpiece.
    This rifle got heavy with this 'stuff' added onto it.

Colt LE6920MP-B
    - Aimpoint PRO (Co-witness with factory front sight and Magpul MBUS.)

Colt AR-6721 - Aimpoint Pro (Co-witness with factory front sight and Magpul MBUS.)

Last edited:

Sig Fan

Feb 15, 2011
    PRMD
    Aimpoint T-1 w/ Larue QD mount

Pros - battery life, weight, build quality, caps adjust windage/elevation
    Cons - fairly small tube diameter, lens caps aren't connected or a flip-up style, although you can get aftermarket flip-up caps, price is a bit steep

Price - Let's just say I got a smokin' deal on a barely touched demo

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Primary Arms MD-SP Red dot (T-1 clone) on 22 upper

Pros: Dirt Cheap was $60 with lower 1/3 qd mount
    Aimpoint T-1 compatible mounting
    Easy to use. Wife picked up rifle and was hitting 4" steel targets at 60 yards in seconds.

Cons: Turret Caps are easy to lose
    LED is at 6:00 so you can't lower 1/3 cowitness. (might be able to absolute but new mounts cost more than red dot.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom